homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Adventure trip for boys

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Adventure trip for boys
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Wendy:

A Catholic priest, a Boy Scout leader and a lawyer take some boys out on an adventure trip. On the flight over, there is engine trouble and the plane is about to go down.

"We have a problem", says the pilot. "There are only three parachutes!"

The Boy Scout leader suggests they give them to the boys.

"Screw the boys," shouts the lawyer.

"Is there time?" asks the priest.

[ 07. July 2005, 00:02: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 131 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not funny. I've heard too many of these to be offended any more, but didn't find it even mildly amusing the first time round.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yet again the image of Catholic priests as paedophiles comes up. Not remotely amusing.
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This theme is tedious and overdone.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Wendy. [Snore]

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same reaction. Ho hum.

Jokes on this theme are as wearying to me as Welsh jokes involving sheep. How many times can people find the same accusation funny?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard an earlier version with Bob Dole "women and Children first", George Bush "screw the women" and Bill Clinton "do you think we've got time".

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find this morally offensive, but not religiously offensive.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Goodric

Shipmate
# 8001

- Posted      Profile for Goodric   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes its in the same vein as what's the difference between a Priest and Acne?...Which is a far better version if you want to poke fun at Priests.

--------------------
Happy Christmas Everyone You can find me here

Gone to a better place.

Posts: 7160 | From: You all know anyway | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's dreadful.
And I had to read it 3 times. [Confused]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm evidently in the minority, as I found this one the funniest I've read yet, and not at all offensive to me.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LMAO [Big Grin]

Once something is joked about, then it loses some of its taboo status, and its secret power.

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a great basic joke and punchline and infinitely adaptable to whatever sex scandal is currently in the news or known to the person/people you're telling the joke to.

Which is exactly why getting upset about the particular person/group made the brunt of the joke says a lot more about the person getting upset than it does about the joke itself.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Last Dog Watch
Apprentice
# 9637

- Posted      Profile for Last Dog Watch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Yet again the image of Catholic priests as paedophiles comes up. Not remotely amusing.

I agree.

Somewhere here a poster called Ley Lines is being run down because of his anti-Anglicanism.

In England, the number of Anglican clergy who faced criminal charges for paedophilia in the 1980s has yet to be matched by more recent allegations made against Roman Catholics. And twenty years ago the prosecuting authorities and the courts took such matters much less seriously than they do today.

--------------------
one - two - three - eight

Posts: 15 | From: Davy Jones Locker | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
JB*

Horse marine
# 396

- Posted      Profile for JB*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Motherboard and I moaned and remembered hearing this joke about Michael Jackson. Then we checked the distribution. Note the low humor score and the almost-even distribution of offense. This looks like a counterexample for RuthW's observation expecting a correlation between humor value and offensiveness.

Is someone going to do the statistical analysis and publish the results?

--------------------
You live, you learn. You learn, you live.

Posts: 1011 | From: State of Amazement and Delight | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JB:
Note the low humor score and the almost-even distribution of offense. This looks like a counterexample for RuthW's observation expecting a correlation between humor value and offensiveness.

I just meant for me offensiveness and humor correlate, not everyone, and maybe just for religious jokes (I don't think racist jokes are funny). And it has occurred to me that it's kind of anti-social--not sure that's the word I want, but it'll do for the moment--because I'm not offended by any of these jokes, but the ones I think some other people will find offensive are the ones I think are the funniest. It's like relying on the general sense of offensiveness of cursing and vulgarities when I use them--I'm not offended, but the words would lose their strength if no one anywhere was offended.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
-Merp- You lose. Humour turns on stereotypical negative behaviour of the functionaries of a particular religion. Reinforces the false stereotype and is not acceptable, IMO.

I'd give humour based on stereotypes a hearing if it was affectionate. This ain't.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Same reaction. Ho hum.

Jokes on this theme are as wearying to me as Welsh jokes involving sheep. How many times can people find the same accusation funny?

Exactly. There were a number which scored on the tedium scale for that. But it's not quite the same as being offended. Maybe it's because I've learnt not to take offensive at them as then you get called a prude or having provided that wanted response, people tell them again.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Same reaction. Ho hum.

Gill put it very well.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew the punch line before the end of the first sentence.

How did it make me feel...
Imagine a smiley where someone puts a gun in their mouth and pulls the trigger!

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...notes that it is a complete waste of time

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a bunch of humorless gits. There have been variations on this one since God was little boy and I still find them funny. Besides the Lawyer's behavior is much more odious than the Priest's.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I heard an earlier version with Bob Dole "women and Children first", George Bush "screw the women" and Bill Clinton "do you think we've got time".
I found this funnier, perhaps because it was not on a subject that is sickening. - Bills sex addicition is & mischief can be funny told in the right way.

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Dumb Acolyte:
What a bunch of humorless gits. There have been variations on this one since God was little boy and I still find them funny. Besides the Lawyer's behavior is much more odious than the Priest's.

About the same, basically.

This joke is roughly about as funny as genocide. I can't rate it for humour, because 1 is too high.

How about -10?

Joking about it might rob peadophilia of "mystery" but it also invaliates the experiences of those whose lives have been ruined by it.

Not funny.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016