homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Brown and half-eaten

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Brown and half-eaten
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Tigger:

What's brown and half-eaten?

Pope John Pauls' Easter Egg.

[ 07. July 2005, 00:01: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 117 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Owwww! Owww!

I gave it five and five. Is that wierd?

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A variation on "what's brown and sticky" (answer: "a stick") which IIRC was voted the nation's favourite joke in a recent contest. I didn't find this offensive or funny.

[ 06. July 2005, 05:33: Message edited by: Ariel ]

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's one of those jokes that I hear, and I find absolutely hilarious, not necessarily because of the joke itself, but because of the shamelessness in the facet that it's being told so soon after a major event, then I end up thinking to myself, "Should I really be laughing at this?" Then I continue laughing anyway.

I don't know where tigger comes from, but this is a very British tradition. We did the same with Jill Dando, Princess Diana, Mother Teresa and the tsunami. Within a week of the events, there were jokes like this flying around like nobody's business.

I'll never forget Angus Deayton's Michael Jackson joke, but shan't post it as it isn't religious.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It just seemed more like an observation to me than a quip.
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it a solely British tradition? I suppose it might be, the Brits have brought the art of self-deprecation to a such a high pitch that utter tastelessness about others can work. I was a youngster at the time of Aberfan and Biafra - the appallingly tastless jokes were running around the playground within days.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must admit I don't get it at all. So it scores 1, and 3 because I think it might be offensive(?).

--------------------
I only know three words of Latin: deus caritas est.

Posts: 139 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think we need to be more specific here and at least nominate which JP we are talking about. I assume it's II, but I suppose it could just as easily by JPI (I heard his soup was poisoned, but it would be really really sneaky of those Cardinals to poison his gift from the Easter Bunny).

And having to put in that much analysis detracts from the punchline.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

EpiscoWhat
Shipmate
# 9660

- Posted      Profile for EpiscoWhat   Email EpiscoWhat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark M:
I must admit I don't get it at all. So it scores 1, and 3 because I think it might be offensive(?).

Glad i'm not the only one that doesn't get it.

T

--------------------
Now up and sailing: Fair Havens, the private board for LGBTQ Shipmates. Interested in joining? PM me for details.

Posts: 290 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by EpiscoWhat:
Glad i'm not the only one that doesn't get it.

He died. Close to Easter. So his egg would still be half-eaten...

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
just not funny [Snore]
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't get it either.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LupinPooter
Apprentice
# 9690

- Posted      Profile for LupinPooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It did come out fairly soon after his death and these jokes generally are fairly poor- speed being more important than humour. At the time I didn't find it funny so much as naughty; disaster/death jokes generally have this effect on me. Now it doesn't seem so amusing as most people have forgotten that it happened so close to Easter, as this thread illustrates. A joke with a short sell-by date.

--------------------
"he had read and absorbed more than he could understand so he lived by pastiche and pretence"

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It made me laugh. The best so far.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It made me chuckle but it would have been funnier and more offensive if I'd heard it the day after JPII passed on.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made me frown.
Not even a grin.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
I'll never forget Angus Deayton's Michael Jackson joke, but shan't post it as it isn't religious.

Ooooh, sounds good. Can you PM it to me please?

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yer, whatever. I didn't find it offensive because it was too weak to be a vehicle of disrespect.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarkycow:
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:

Ooooh, sounds good. Can you PM it to me please?

Sarkycow

Please can I echo that?

The joke in the OP was IMO the funniest yet... I think that's more because I like short snappy "boom boom" jokes rather than long convoluted ones, where the punchline never seems worth the effort...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Master Tubby Bear
Shipmate
# 9739

- Posted      Profile for Master Tubby Bear   Email Master Tubby Bear       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I laughed out loud and Tessie Bear liked it so much she gave the chickens some extra food.

--------------------
In every I Love You there is a Goodbye

Posts: 391 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The original time I heard this the person with the remaining chocolate was Jesus. Does that change any ones perceptions of the joke?
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having it be Jesus doesn't work as well, I don't think, because he came back and presumably could have had the rest if he wanted it. Plus you have the silliness of there being Easter Eggs on the first Easter, though perhaps since it was a pagan festival originally it is funny that someone would have given one to Jesus.

But the idea of the Pope of Rome getting a gift from the Easter Bunny makes me laugh.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I confess, I didn't 'get' this one at first, and I think it's because in my experience, Easter candy is chocolate easter bunnies, not eggs.

I probably would've gotten it more quickly if it had been a bunny.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It doesn't say anything profound or titillating. All it says is "oh yes, did you notice the Pope is dead? Let's try and think of a joke to make a point of that!"

These are the jokes I despise the most. Not funny and not remotely offensive.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016