homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The morning after

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The morning after
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by teddybear:

It was the morning after the Wedding at Cana and St Joseph had a horrible hangover. He turned to the Blessed Virgin and said in a trembling voice: "Mary, would you get me a glass of water? And whatever you do, don't let the kid near it!"

[ 08. July 2005, 11:49: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 112 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one, I find funny. Not sidesplittingly hilarious, but funny. And not the least bit offensive.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same here.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Joseph doesn't believe in the "hair of the dog" hangover cure?

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just what I thought, Alan. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. Didn't really work for me. Not enough prep in terms of joke crafting I think.

Kinda cute, but too predictable and not really punchy.

[ETA: I wonder if there might be a rule of thumb to be derived that offensiveness correlates to whether the subject matter is in the Creed]

[ 07. July 2005, 10:17: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that this joke was fairly innocuous, the sort of thing that you might find in Sunday School teaching material. I can't remember which handouts my children used to have, possibly Scripture Union. There were lots of jokes in there and this one could have easily fitted.

The joke says a few things, that Jesus makes bloody good wine, that Joseph is fully aware of Jesus' power and that no matter how grown up you are, your parents still think of you as a kid. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I wonder if there might be a rule of thumb to be derived that offensiveness correlates to whether the subject matter is in the Creed

That is a really interesting idea! If it is in one of the creeds then it causes people's offensiveness meters to go wild... I shall re-read some of the jokes and see how many fit into that category.

[pause]

Yup, the ones that I found offensive were ones related to the creeds.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one I found funny, and inoffensive (first one so far, I think).

Why? I'm not exactly sure. Perhaps because it is not about sex.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had to think about this one. OK the first time I read it was early in the morning, but at first I was puzzled as to why he shouldn't let a child near a glass of water, what did he think he was going to do with it? I think I'd have got it more quickly if he hadn't referred to him as "the kid".

Urgh. Pathetic I know but I was still half asleep.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find it neither the slightest bit offensive nor the slightest bit funny.

Hey Ho.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it rather ho-hum (though totally inoffensive). I think I'd have found it to be an hilarious 'inside joke' had I heard it before the age of ten.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i don't understand it

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read BB's post, she explains stuff very well I think. [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
slight giggle- not heard that one before [Smile]
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
AdamPater
Sacristan of the LavaLamp
# 4431

- Posted      Profile for AdamPater   Email AdamPater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laugh out loud from MsP, and no offense at all.

--------------------
Put not your trust in princes.

Posts: 4894 | From: On the left of the big pink bit. | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Please expand your post beyond the one or two sentences required to tell us how funny / offensive / bemusing this joke is. Please tell us about why you found it funny / offensive / bemusing and perhaps why your context impinges. You could try some theology. You can in write pretty much what you like about this joke or other peoples reactions to it except how funny / offensive / bemusing it is in one sentence.

Pyx_e

Hosting

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 103 (One-O-Three):
i don't understand it

Who wants to drink loads of wine when they are suffering from a terrible hang over? (Jesus (aka The Kid) turned the water into wine...

Pyx_e, I wish I could say why I don't find it funny or offensive, I just don't. I'm not sure wherein any potential for offence lies, to be perfectly honest.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pyx_e, I wish I could say why I don't find it funny or offensive, I just don't. I'm not sure wherein any potential for offence lies, to be perfectly honest.

Then just fill out the poll, that is cool. If you are going to post something try using "because." If you can't say; I don’t find it funny because ....... then maybe it is not really adding to the discussion is all I am trying to say.

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

Then just fill out the poll, that is cool. If you are going to post something try using "because." If you can't say; I don’t find it funny because ....... then maybe it is not really adding to the discussion is all I am trying to say.

Pyx_e

Ok. Sorry Pyx_e.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found it more annoying in its use of "St Joseph" and "Blessed Virgin" because I'm not Catholic and it seems to encroach upon non-Catholics' sensibilities.

I don't think it's funny because I don't think the average Joe in the street would get it. For starters, they wouldn't know what happened at the wedding at Cana. Jokes have to be somewhat relevant to everyone to be funny, it seems to me.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016