homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Is it me?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Is it me?
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Derek:

Our Lord gathers the Twelve Apostles for the last supper. He announces that one of them will betray him.

Peter approaches Jesus, offers him his cup of wine -- from which Jesus takes a sip -- and asks, "Is it me Lord, is it me?"

Jesus replies "No, it is not you."

Matthew approaches Jesus, offers him his cup of wine and asks, "Is it me Lord, is it me?"

Jesus replies "No, it is not you."

And so it progresses through all of the Apostles, till only Judas is left. Judas approaches and offering his cup of wine asks, "Is it me Lord, is it me?"

Jesus replies, "Yes Judas, it is you."

Judas replies, "Why do you always pick on me when you're pissed?"

[ 08. July 2005, 11:50: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 88 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there something about British idiom that is making me go "WTF" on this one?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Pissed' in the UK means 'drunk'.

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what "pissed" means in Britspeak but it still doesn't seem funny to me, just weird.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There probably are a few things that need to be assumed about this joke. Eg, assuming that when people get pissed they get nasty or maudlin or whatever. So at the last supper, as Jesus receives the wine cups from each disciple, with each successive sip he gets progressively blotto. So at last he comes to Judas and is well in his cups, and Judas feels he's being picked on when Jesus finally answers 'yes, it's you'.

For me the humour (and admittedly it wasn't a huge laugh out loud moment) lies in the expectedness of Judas's response, and the very ordinary everyday accusation of 'you're only behaving like this because you're drunk' being levelled at Jesus, of all people.

Of course, it's an imaginative re-telling of the original scene, so if one is calling to mind 'whoever dips their bread in the dish with me...' it might be hard to picture the scene for this joke.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
Of course, it's an imaginative re-telling of the original scene, so if one is calling to mind 'whoever dips their bread in the dish with me...' it might be hard to picture the scene for this joke.

That's what spoilt it for me.

Re: pissed, I always have to stop and think awhile when I hear the word "pissed" used on American programmes, when what they mean is "pissed off".

It's so very confusing.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it a lot. Maybe those of us who did find it funny feel sorry for Judas and think he got a bit ripped off...

It's sort of like letting him have a little win in an alternate reality i.e. Jesus is a petulant piss-artist who made him have to do it.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Native British Speaker, but still felt [Confused] at this one. Not offensive; I just don't get it.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was enjoying this joke,( I was imagining Terry Wogan reading it!), until we got to the punch line.
It's just not amusing, what a let down.
Needs a re-write!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensnog
Shipmate
# 8017

- Posted      Profile for Evensnog   Email Evensnog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of the few that has made me laugh out loud, so far, but to be fair, I've heard most of the other jokes before and it could've been the novelty.

The unexpectedness of Judas' response is what makes this work for me - and I think The Coot raised an interesting point about feeling Judas got a bum rap.

Posts: 507 | From: Silicon Valley | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not funny or offensive because the punchline is unbelievably weak.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016