homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Nuns at the Pearly Gates

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nuns at the Pearly Gates
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by LupinPooter:

Three nuns arrive at the Pearly Gates and St Peter tells them that new rules have been put in place. To pass into Paradise, each nun must answer a religious question.

St Peter asks nun number one, "Who cut off Samson's hair?"

The nun answers, "Delilah," and is allowed into Paradise.

He turns to nun number two and asks, "Who first saw Jesus on Easter Sunday?"

The nun has to think for a bit, but finally recalls that it was Mary Magdelene and is allowed through the gates.

Finally, St Peter asks nun number three, "What were the first words Eve said to Adam?"

The nun bursts out, "Ooh, that's a hard one!"

"Congratulations," says St Peter. "In you go."

[ 11. July 2005, 09:01: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 92 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one many times before [and Ancient Mariner said it on Canadian radio this week!], so I knew what was coming.

I enjoy plays on words, so I find this one quite enjoyable. The (supposed) innocence of the nun [who should not think upon about the goings-on of the penises of men] and the response.

Not offensive.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ian, you'll notice that on CBC I didn't use the variation:

'Fuck me, that's a hard one.'

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, enjoy plays on words, and found this joke amusing. It is all the funnier if one cannot help but picture innocent nuns (as innocent as Adam and Eve in the garden), concerned at passing the entrance exam for heaven (yes, only I would think of that... but, in convent life, there are tests of all sorts, and one never knows what the 'correct' answer will be), contrasted with the volatile, worldly fisherman Peter.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I heard this, I did find it quite funny. It was one of the end ones in the Vicar of Dibley. I think because it doesn't mock anything central to the Christian faith - the cross, the character of Christ, etc. - I don't find it offensive at all. In fact, you could take away the situation, and even the people, and though you'd lose some of the humour, it would still be mildly amusing in a play-on-words sort of way.

Offensive jokes for me are those which mock something which I hold sacred and which shouldn't be messed with. Just as I don't feel that you should tell jokes about tragedy - anyone remember the spate of Diana jokes circulating just after her death - I don't think that Christ on the cross should be used as a context for humour.

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a good chuckle 'cause I'd never heard it before. funny factor would go down with re-hearings, I'm sure.

I voted higher on the offense score than the majority 'cause I thought nuns speaking sexual innuendo (even without meaning to) might offend some folks. Especially if the "fuck me" were left innit.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not care for the "Fuck me," though I am hardly offended easily. The simple "that's a hard one" maintains the total innocence of the response, which I find essential to the contrast (between the nun and Peter) which gives the joke its impact.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may have got too worldly in my old age, but simple tits, bums and erections humour doesn't do it for me anymore.

(I'd prolly still find Dick Emery funny though).

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As others have noted, the chuckles in this joke come from the play on words and the nuns' innocence. I originally heard this joke told with a slight variation that emphasized the "difficult/hard" aspect of the joke (and the resultant pun). In this version, it is two young nuns and a mother superior who arrive at the pearly gates. And the questions given to the 2 nuns are even easier than the ones in the OP; e.g., "who built the Ark?" -- questions a person could answer with only a pop-culture-level knowledge of religion. Then St Peter turns to the mother superior and tells her that, based on her level of knowledge and experience, she will have a more challenging question.
What makes it work, I think, in part, is that the listener gets caught up in the quiz-taking aspect of the joke -- would I pass the test, too? -- and then, lulled by the simplicity of the first two questions, gets caught, like the mother superior, in not knowing the answer to St. Peter's question. That provides a millisecond of distraction -- while the listener is mentally reviewing his/her knowledge of bible stories -- to set up a punch line that's really only average but made funnier because the listener's mind is elsewhere.

I think the "Fuck me" addition to the nun's reply substantially changes the joke, and not for the better. For me, the humor is not just in the play on words, but that I could picture Eve actually saying similar words while seeing the body that's so different from her own. Without that silly mental image, it is, as Coot pointed out, just another erection joke.
If the "Fuck me" is added, it paints a picture of an Eve that is more libidinous and less innocent.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time I heard this joke it wasn't about nuns, it was about dumb blondes and the questions were different but the punchline the same.

There's a sort of archetypal structure to some jokes really - they've been around for ages and every now and again the details get updated to keep them topical but the substance doesn't change. I first heard this one (or the one about blondes anyway) when I was a teenager. Oh how we all sniggered.

Um, anyway, verdict this time round, [Roll Eyes] . I don't know, I tend to think the sort of accidental humour that pops up in conversation is really a lot funnier than manufactured jokes and carefully structured, "formulaic" humour. A good joke has an element of unpredictability in it. This one follows a popular pattern, "best of three" and then the punchline.

magnum mysterium
Shipmate
# 3418

- Posted      Profile for magnum mysterium   Email magnum mysterium   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall this making an appearance on the Vicar of Dibley. An oldie but a goodie.
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read this again, having forgotten it from the first time - and strangely I found it quite humorous this time! My capacity to be amused by sexual innuendo or mild scatology really does vary day-to-day. Depending on mood? Busy-ness? Amount of recent exposure to humour? Immediate previous activity? Maybe others too?

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who had forgotten the punchline and read it again now a month later.

[ 08. August 2005, 08:58: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
hosannajoy
Apprentice
# 10078

- Posted      Profile for hosannajoy   Email hosannajoy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also first heard this joke on the Vicar of Dibley and found it hilarious until I realised that my mother genuinely didn't get it! I didn't have much fun trying to explain it.....

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016