homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Bill Clinton and the Pope

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Bill Clinton and the Pope
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Callan:

Bill Clinton and the Pope die at the same time. Owing to an administrative mix-up, the Pope is sent to Hell and Clinton to heaven. It becomes quickly apparent that a mistake has been made, so St Peter gets on the phone to Lucifer and they agree to trade.

As Clinton and the Pope ascend and descend to their respective abodes they pass one another.

"No hard feelings, I trust," says Clinton.

"No hard feelings at all, my son," replies the Pope. "I'm so much looking forward to meeting the Blessed Virgin."

"I'm afraid you're a bit late for that," mutters Clinton as he continues his descent.

[ 11. July 2005, 09:00: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 109 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Extremely offensive.

Most likely as I consider Our Lady to be 'more honoured than the cherubim and more glorious than the seraphim'. Besmirching her name is not on for me.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alicďa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicďa   Email Alicďa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Our"?

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's more a joke about Bill Clinton than religion, isn't it? Saying that a) he should be in Hell and b) he'll bonk anything, lock up your daughters Bill's about...

Funny though. Very funny [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
"Our"?

Yes.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
"Our"?

Yes.
We do allow people to post more than one word at a time, in fact we prefer it.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dosen't work for me, becuse I think Joseph as Mary's husband quite rightly 'got there first', probably a year or two, at the latest, after Jesus was born. In fact the joke is annoying in a way as it reminds me that there are many who belive Mary is still a Virgin, despite the Gospel reference to 'Jesus' mother and brothers'.
Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While this one would work even if it didn't specifically have JPII and Clinton, I like a lot with those two.

Both were examples of men with a genuine caring about people (especially as individuals) combined with sharp intellects and a solidly pragmatic political skills. (Obviously manifested in quite different ways and styles!) I can just picture them both politely accepting the flurry of apologies after the mistake was discovered, smiling at one another as they pass on celestial staircase, genuinely having no hard feelings.

And then that guilty smirk I imagine on Clinton's face, plus the implied scene in Heaven when the Pope gets there and finds out what happened... well, it leaves me with a big guilty smirk of my own.

(Does this make Mary's new title MoGfkatBVM - Mother of God formerly known as the Blessed Virgin Mary?)

[ 08. July 2005, 13:47: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm smiling - it is funnier because there could be two versions this year, one with John Paul (more appropriate - he mentioned Mary at every opportunity), the other with Benedict. I can picture John Paul elated, Benedict rather shy.

The implication that Bill Clinton, whose public manner always seemed very easygoing, was not at all bothered by being en route to hell, and that he'd bonk any woman in sight, is amusing. I did not find this joke hilarious, but it's mildly funny and not at all offensive.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Extremely offensive.

Most likely as I consider Our Lady to be 'more honoured than the cherubim and more glorious than the seraphim'. Besmirching her name is not on for me.

Coot suggested on another thread that people might find jokes offensive if they were making fun of the creeds. I looked through the jokes that had been posted and found that this held true for me. I think the same has happened for Ian, except that his 'offensiveness area' includes some matters of doctrine.

I did not find it offensive because it did not touch one of the central tenents of my faith. I don't think about Mary at all except at Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter. I would never think of her as being a virgin. I am quite happy with the virgin conception of Jesus, but I don't see any reason why Mary would remain a virgin.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I would never think of her as being a virgin. I am quite happy with the virgin conception of Jesus, but I don't see any reason why Mary would remain a virgin.

That's the paradox. Blessed Mary Ever Virgin and all that, once a virgin always a virgin. I thought this joke was tacky, it reduced her to the level of just an ordinary girl who could be wowed by a politician.
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I didn't get the joke then. Because I starting for a position where Mary was no longer a virgin it was pretty obvious that she couldn't have become a born-again virgin. Clinton was simply correcting the Pope's dodgy theology. It wasn't about Clinton seducing Mary.

I don't think either version was amusing or offensive.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one's mileage varies depending on the esteem one holds the BVM in. I find the 'thought experiment' of the seduction of the BVM distasteful, but gave it a low score on offensiveness. (I save my 5s for in real life desecration)
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another thought after visiting the Three Wise Men joke. What happens between Clinton and Mary is a bit dependent on your beliefs surrounding Mary. Eg. If you believe that she is Ever-Virgin, then for her to no longer be a virgin after Clinton has met her means that he has in some way sleazily seduced her or forced himself on her - which ups the offensiveness rating. But if you think that she has no commitment to chastity or virginity, then it is no biggie if she has succumbed to Mr Clinton's charms (and may have even been, in that reader's mind, a willing participant).
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Coot suggested on another thread that people might find jokes offensive if they were making fun of the creeds. I looked through the jokes that had been posted and found that this held true for me. I think the same has happened for Ian, except that his 'offensiveness area' includes some matters of doctrine.

I think that's spot on -- at least for me.

Add to this the fact that I've only recently began to seriously believe that Mary was ever-virgin and understand its significance, and perhaps that is why I found it so offensive. It is a doctrine I've only just begun to understand; that may have increased its offensiveness.

Ian.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
[QB] It's more a joke about Bill Clinton than religion, isn't it?

I agree with this assessment. the joke made me laugh, but not uproariously.

I'm not really invested much in the "perpetual virginity" of Mary, so perhaps that colored my response as well.

Those two things said, it's probably not a joke I would repeat.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm with JLG on this.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I laughed a lot, and rated it very funny, because Bill Clinton's inability to keep his dick in his pants is something that causes me huge annoyance and also a lot of amusement. I didn't even think of it as an insult to Mary till I read Ian's post. From that perspective I could see how it could be offensive to a Catholic who holds Mary in high esteem. I personally don't believe Mary was "ever virgin" but within the context of the joke I was sharing the Pope's assumption that she would be, and that Clinton would have been just as ready to do her as he was to do anything else in skirts ... so yeah, very funny and not at all offensive, until I thought about others' possible reactions.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trudy made some points with which I agree.

Though this joke is not hilarious, I think it hinges entirely on one's assuming that the pope thinks of Mary as ever-virgin - because the joke is really about Clinton's sexual adventures, not about theology. Were it a matter of Clinton's correcting faulty theology on the part of the pope, it would not be funny in the least - it would make no sense.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
adso
Shipmate
# 2895

- Posted      Profile for adso   Email adso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one before (from a Welsh conductor in his 80s) but with Lloyd George instead of Clinton, and the punchline "Not any more she isn't, boyo!"
It was hilarious at the time but doesn't work so well in print. It needed the accents.

--------------------
os justi meditabitur sapientiam, et lingua eius loquetur judicium. lex dei eius in corde ipsius, et non supplantabuntur gressus eius. alleluia.

Posts: 688 | From: pays de galles | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This whole thing about whether one truly believes in the eternal virginity of the Blessed Mother I think exposes something of what makes a joke offensive.

Not because of the particular beliefs, but rather because it illustrates (as do the paedophile jokes, in a slightly different way) the ability - or lack thereof - to separate the non-reality of the joke from the reality of one's personal beliefs.

What on earth does a joke which implies that Bill Clinton (or some other public philanderer) seduced the Virgin Mary have to do with whether or not she actually is eternally virgin? Either she is or she isn't, but a joke is surely not capable of changing that fact, is it?

What I'm seeing is that people find jokes offensive either out of reflex ("I'm W-type Christian and jokes about X, Y and Z are offensive because they attack my church's teachings") or because the joke hits at something they aren't sure about ("Is the Virgin Birth really a fact? Did she remain ever-virgin or did she and Joseph have marital relations? If she is ever-virgin in heaven, is she still subject to temptation? Does that mean I'll still be subject to temptation in heaven?").

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a completely different reaction to this joke than anyone else who's posted, I think; I assumed that this was another dig at Clinton and his enconomy with the truth ('I...did...not..have... and so on) rather than a joke about Marian doctrine.

Years ago I quit the RC church because I could not and can not subscribe either to the doctrine of Mary's immaculate conception, nor to that of her perpetual virginity (and a couple other things, not relevant here); but even so it didn't occur to me that this was what the joke was about. To me it's a Clinton joke pure and simple, suggesting that he'll lie about anything, on earth or in heaven; and that if he can wind up the Pope in the process, so much the better.

Can almost hear him down there in the depths, attempting to dine out on it: 'And you know, the old guy actually believed me....'

Not offensive; but otoh no funnier than the average run of Clinton jokes.

mn

--------------------
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it.

Posts: 129 | From: out there | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think it's a joke about Clinton, requiring a suspension of belief about the BVM and an acceptance of a Clinton charicature. So therefore, the humour is diminished by the amount of effort required to 'get it'. A good, in-character punchline is essential to rescue it - like the aforementioned Lloyd George one.

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
uvatar
Apprentice
# 9848

- Posted      Profile for uvatar   Email uvatar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard this one before, not with Bill clinton, but with Mark Dutroux, a psycho who abducted, raped and killed children and young women here in belgium.

that version makes more sense to me... I as european don't see why it would be funny with clinton I'm affraid...

--------------------
every man is evil, every man' s a liar, unashamed with a wicked tong singing in the black soul choir

Posts: 2 | From: belgium | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was mildly funny for me and could have been funnier if Bill Clinton wasn't past his sell-by date.

I found it inoffensive but I'm guessing it's because I'm not Catholic.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016