homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Doubting Thomas

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Doubting Thomas
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by George Wagner:

St Thomas holds forth in the Upper Room. "I won't believe until I can place my fingers into the holes in His hands and His feet and thrust my hand into the wound in His side."

Just then the Risen Christ enters. "Tom," Jesus says, "the boys and I have been talking, and we're all afraid that you're becoming just a little too weird for our group."

[ 13. July 2005, 11:01: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 101 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one could 'work' very well, particularly if it were told in tones of the KJV and Book of Common Prayer.

It is not hilarious, but it is fairly funny and not at all offensive. Thomas' request is a very strange one. I rather like jokes which capture some of the odd or amusing 'undertones' of incidents in the scriptures.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, liked it. I think because it dares to say something about the parables, prophecies, happenings in the Bible that we all think but rarely say. Let's face it, some of them are off the planet.

Teeth like a flock of sheep... breasts like the twin fawns of a gazelle, spitting in mud and applying the mixture to someone's eyes, sticking your hands in someone's wounds... If someone at a party said those things, you'd edge slowly away.
[Killing me]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best joke so far! Hysterical, if only because there are a few folks I know that this would apply to equally as well as Thomas.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always had some feelings that the way Thomas is described in the gospel makes him really seem odd, and a little bit grisly as well. I was never comfortable enough to tell this to anybody, so having a story in which Jesus himself makes an observation on it was a real kick and a surprise too. This got a big laugh out of me.

I guess we are supposed to assume that Thomas was just coming up with the most outlandish idea he could think of, precisely because he was sure it wouldn't happen. He certainly isn't depicted as terribly bright, or trustful enough of the other disciples to so much as consider their account, even though he presumably had seen many miracles performed, including a couple of instances of bringing dead people back to life. There are those who think he was purposely shown in a bad light by a gospel writer with an axe to grind, but that is another kettle of fish.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love it because we get Jesus speaking in a 21st century "concerned friend recommending a shrink" voice--"You know, you really ought to see someone about those thoughts of yours...."

PLUS, we know all the while that He's much weirder.

PS: Coot, may I use your last paragraph for a signature?

[ 12. July 2005, 03:45: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're welcome, Lamb Chopped. [Smile]
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is hilarious. Probably because the whle idea is ridiculous but I never thought of it that way until now. Humour is at its best when it helps you see things from a new angle (of course, that's why it can be offensive as some people feel threatened by this).

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
Teeth like a flock of sheep... breasts like the twin fawns of a gazelle, spitting in mud and applying the mixture to someone's eyes, sticking your hands in someone's wounds... If someone at a party said those things, you'd edge slowly away.

Excellent and all too true, Coot! I'll not even think, for the moment, of Peter's walking on water, John's wanting to call down fire from heaven, or what the Pharisees were doing in the wheat field.

As an aside, remember Franco Zeffirelli's brilliant "Jesus of Nazareth"? Now and then, that film slipped in some inside jokes. They depicted Thomas as originally employed by Jairus - and insisting, when Jesus said the little girl was 'not dead, only sleeping,' 'But I saw she was dead!' That was almost as good as when the two thieves are waiting to be crucified, and the 'bad thief' shouts, "It was him who did the murder, not me!"

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly amusing, but it's just a punchline.
I would have found it funnier if there had been a build up to it.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

This is the best one so far. Great twist.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I giggled long and loud at this. I've no idea why.

There's nothing clever about it, and I think that Thomas's demand for physical proof of the resurrection makes perfect sense, so logically the joke doesn't really work.

But I guess if you ignore the biblical context, the silliness and unexpectedness work for me.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:
I think it is hilarious. Probably because the whle idea is ridiculous but I never thought of it that way until now. Humour is at its best when it helps you see things from a new angle (of course, that's why it can be offensive as some people feel threatened by this).

Yes, seeing things from a new angle IS offensive, isn't it? Also, determinedly Christian, I'd wager...

This joke has the most realistically "modern-day" patter of the ones I've read so far. It sounds like something a good stand-up (Bill Hicks?) might have used in mocking religion.

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016