homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » George Bush goes to Hell

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: George Bush goes to Hell
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by simon bucher-jones:

George Bush dies and goes to Hell. Jesus is harrowing Hell, however, and the Devil has to let a repentant soul out to let George in, and George is allowed to choose whom he will replace.

The Devil shows him a room where Nixon is impaled on a giant spike, and another where Hitler is tormented by devils, and a third where Bill Clinton writhes on a rack being orally attended to by Monica.

George considers: spike, devils, oral sex... hmm. He chooses the third room.

The Devil smiles. "Okay, Monica, you can go."

[ 15. July 2005, 09:15: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 84 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Same problem as a few other jokes here: seems more about sexuality and related taboos plus US political opponents, than religious, or Christian values.

Offensive for that reason, because thoughtless and not inspiring. Not good and original enough. Thumbs down.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not find this one funny - and wonder if I'm the only one who did not really understand the points. (Obviously, I know he was not going to get his sex... but that might have been contrary to his 'family values' anyway.)

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Ms Monica can go, it seems, according to Mr Devil. So where might Mr Bush be heading? [Disappointed]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dubya is gonna being sucking Bill's cock for all eternity, Newman's Own. Nobody's actually getting any sex.

This is the first '5' I've awarded for humor -- but I'll admit my personal politics probably upped it a notch.

Yeah, like nearly all jokes, the basic concept is adaptable to multiple people and scenarios, so it isn't strictly a religious joke, but so what?

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
Dubya is gonna being sucking Bill's cock for all eternity, Newman's Own. Nobody's actually getting any sex.

[Hot and Hormonal] I'm so stupid, jlg!

I'd have sent Bush in to perform the same service for Hitler... he got off easy with Clinton...

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this one funnier when I first heard it, but there was a lot more scene-painting then. This exercise is making me believe more and more in the importance of scene painting, imagery, etc., in good jokes: "clever" punchlines are rarely clever enough.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pob
Shipmate
# 8009

- Posted      Profile for Pob   Email Pob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Offensive for that reason, because thoughtless and not inspiring.

I'd disagree with you here, Wesley.

The joke's set up so that Monica is almost a non-person; she's just a prop, a walk-on part in Clinton's story (much as she was portrayed in the media in real life).

Only then it's turned round so that we see Monica as an equal to the others. It's she, not Bill, who's sufficiently repentant to be set free. Rather than her being the single-track-minded slapper of popular mythology, we see that her having to suck Clinton's dick for all eternity is a punishment. And of course part of the joke is that George makes the mistake he does because it doesn't occur to him that this story is about anyone but the powerful.

I didn't get a belly-laugh from this, more a nose-laugh (you know, when you smile and a little 'hfff-fff' sound comes out of your nose?), but I appreciated it partly because of the way it inverts expectations.

[ETA - ACOL-lite, I think you're right, the joke could have been set up better]

[ 13. July 2005, 19:27: Message edited by: Pob ]

--------------------
As the expensive swimming trunks, so my soul longs after you.

Posts: 738 | From: Gloucestershire, and jolly nice it is too | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A variation on a very old theme -- not offensive but not terribly hilarious either -- but I don't understand how it's a religious joke??

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was interested in this one because its title made me think it was a nasty joke about Bush(whom I dislike), and it ended up being more a dig at Clinton and his problems with keeping his pants zipped up. Still, it got at them both, which made it rather democratic. It was in very poor taste, but I've heard several variations on this same story(as Mousethief mentioned), so it didn't have the shock value to make it offensive to me personally.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
but I don't understand how it's a religious joke??

Because it is set in heaven.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see it as a real religious joke either, just one that happens to take Hell as a setting, rather than primarily being about any aspect of religion.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lurker McLurker™:
...just one that happens to take Hell as a setting...

Ah yes, Hell, that's what I meant, I always get those two confused.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:

This is the first '5' I've awarded for humor -- but I'll admit my personal politics probably upped it a notch.

Yeah, like nearly all jokes, the basic concept is adaptable to multiple people and scenarios, so it isn't strictly a religious joke, but so what?

d'0h! I must be an innocent at heart. I thought the joke was that Monica was repentant while Clinton was not. And was thinking, oh yer, maybe you have to be American to really appreciate this joke.

But reading jen's post I see the repentance aspect is quite secondary... the supposed humour comes from Bush having to suck off Clinton for eternity. Maybe ppl who don't get US politics will still find it funny because he doesn't get what he thinks he's going to get. [Roll Eyes]

You prolly still need to be American to appreciate it.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's disgusting and repulsive all the way around. I am not a big fan of any of the protagonists, though I like Hitler and Nixon least. Again, Bush made another wrong decision; I'd've gone for spike myself: it'd keep my mind off the heat, but then I have a high threshold for pain.

Nobody asked what old Monica had to do. What's her next move - Purgatory? Would she have to go to endless boring meetings and take shorthand at 300 wpm? One wonders.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

As I previously made all too plain, I did not understand this joke. Somehow, I pictured that Bush was looking forward to the sex, and that the woman administering same left just as soon as he made his choice of option.

[Hot and Hormonal] Though I appreciated the explanation, I still don't get what is so hilarious about Bush's having to perform oral sex on Clinton. Bush's 'family values' business, which was discussed on the Ship a few months back, made me wonder if his wanting Monica to perform oral sex on him was pointing to hypocrisy. (After all, this is the man who is 'pro life' and threatens nations with atomic bombs and sent people to their executions in Texas.) I'm revealing my own stupidity only to show that I cannot be alone in being confused by the joke.

As well, though I naturally know about Bill and Monica's affair, that hardly seems to me to be matter for being sent to hell... where the others could be there for some very pressing reasons.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth

Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the point of the joke was that Bush assumed that it was Clinton being punished, but it was Monica's punishment and she's the one who got let off. With the twist that Bush had to take her place.

I've heard several jokes about heaven or hell where either the punishment chosen has a twist making it by far the worst of the choices or where one person's reward is twisted to the other person's punishment.

It's a type joke where you can put in the details to fit the time, but the core of the joke is the same.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh wow, how amazing. As we unpack this joke, new layers of meaning are revealed lol.

I did think it was a bit strange that Clinton was getting a headjob as punishment... but I dismissed this with the explanation there must be some 'reliving the embarrassment' element and that no matter how good the sex, it can't offset the awfulness of the location.

Obviously it was too sophisticated for me.

As Wesley J. mentioned earlier one of the things it turns on is the sexuality element: with a subtle anti-gay flavour. Like the worst thing a bloke could have to do is give another bloke a headjob. I don't see why that should be particularly alarming (so obviously that was one less signpost to the nature of the joke for me).

Unimpressive.

[In view of the subtle homophobia, I wish I'd given it a higher offensiveness rating now [Disappointed] ]

[ 14. July 2005, 21:08: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Part of the problem with analysing jokes is that essentially they are very shallow and not meant to be scrutinised. The analysis brings out meaning that wasn't there in the first place.

I don't think it is homophobic to suggest that Bush will be repulsed by the idea of giving Clinton a blow job. The joke plays on the idea of Monica being the punished rather than the punisher.

The build up is worded that way in the subject/object ordering:

Nixon is impaled on a giant spike
Hitler is tormented by devils
Clinton is...orally attended to by Monica

If you are in hell (and theologically are no longer married) and you have to chose three punishments then the one that doesn't involve pain is going to be the one.

The joke is the fact that the object is in fact the subject in the final line. Nothing more, nothing less.

Like many of the religious jokes though, it provides a backdrop and nothing more.

[ 17. July 2005, 08:57: Message edited by: themanwiththegingerhair ]

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016