homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Your suggestions for debate threads

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Your suggestions for debate threads
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the discussion so far, everyone. There are now 45 jokes posted here, and more are to follow. I think this is a good point to pull together some of the themes we're encountering and start a few threads where we can debate them. The suffering of Christ and the stereotyping of priests might be two such themes/threads... but what themes would you like to see opened up for debate here?

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about: who can certain tell jokes / who can we tell them too?

I mean things like: can I (as a non-Jew) tell that joke about praying to win the Lottery? How do we feel telling non-Christian friends religious jokes?

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Celibacy and a perceived anti-Catholic bias in some forms of religious jokes. You don't get half as many jokes about the Archbishop of Canterbury as you do about the Pope. Priests in religious jokes tend to be equated with Catholic paedophiles and celibates often seem to be the target of jokes. Have you had any jokes about Orthodox clergy or other denominations or practices specific to them?

I'm finding some of the obviously Catholic ones hard to take. It might be easier from another perspective where I was less personally involved. But I'm curious to get an idea of roughly what proportion of what you've received is overtly about Catholic clergy or practices as opposed to any other denomination. There is a lot of stereotyping in humour - there always has been since the stock characters of Greek and Roman comedy - it would be interesting to see what other denominations could come up with.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two common themes in jokes appear to involve the Virgin Mary
and nuns

Or perhaps they could both be included in a general theme about the treatment of women in religious jokes

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about a general discussion, on where the boundaries are.

Where does something become too sacred to laugh at, or beyond the bounds of making fun of? Can something ever be too sacred? Why?

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should like to see some discussion of religious humour in a more general sense - not only in relation to what is offensive or could be so perceived. I'm aware of the goals of the project, but should enjoy seeing what Ship mates find appealing in religious or church-related humour.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What actually is blasphemy? What constitutes it, do we recognize it as a valid concept any more?
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of the jokes I have seen in other non-religious guises. The only thing that makes them religious is that the person involved is a priest etc.

What jokes genuinely rely on the religious context?

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
inquisitiveunbeliever
Apprentice
# 9803

- Posted      Profile for inquisitiveunbeliever   Email inquisitiveunbeliever   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that isn't really being discussed so much is the original intention of all this - to talk about offence, religious hatred, censorship etc.

One thing I have noticed is that the jokes rarely attack religion - they are either 'inside' jokes for christians (perhaps of a particular denomination) or just generally offensive (ie all the paedophile ones).

One thing they definitely don't do is to 'incite religious hatred'. They might make religious people hate the teller (if they were very touchy) but they wouldn't make other listeners hate Christians. Perhaps a possible exception is the ongoing stereotype about Catholic priests and children, which could cause violence and prejudice on the part of impressionable people.

I'd like to know whether people think this new act will have any effect on humour (personally, I don't think it has any such intention) and indeed whether it ought to. I'm also interested by what was said about the Bible itself being an incitement to hatred against 'idolaters' - how far can people go with the idea of righteousness and damnation before it just turns into hatred and prejudice?

--------------------
"It is a misfortune of mine and a fate by which I am plagued that I cannot steal away from history and use my time more profitably." Pius II

Posts: 2 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The importance of context.

Telling a joke verbally in a situation where you have a sense of the people hearing it and their mood and hang-ups is much different than randomly posting a text version on a web-site.

As I pointed out here: responses to jokes are going to be heavily influenced by both their emotional investment in particular religious/church beliefs and allegiances, combined with the recipient's ability to not take the joke personally.

I personally simply can't take a text-medium joke as offensive - it has no context. I have no idea who said it, what beliefs/personality/motive are behind it. Whether I find it funny or not seems to be extremely dependent upon my mood at the time I read it. Which again says nothing about the joke and everything about (my personal at that moment) context.

[ 17. July 2005, 21:43: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anie
Apprentice
# 9728

- Posted      Profile for Anie   Author's homepage   Email Anie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about opening a debate on the controversy surrounding Paul's conversion. Some say he was blackmailed into professing followership of Jesus' faith. On charges os Adultry!. Could this be true?

--------------------
Ripeness is all,let us share in love before dawn.

Posts: 3 | From: Lagos | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have to be proud to take offence? The self-important are the most easily offended. The genuinely humble, and the truly self-confident are perhaps the hardest to offend.

After the scandal of the cross, is there such a thing as offence towards God or Jesus?

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am finding it very interesting that there are only certain denominations that appear to be offered some sort of "offense Protection". Jokes that are anti-catholic or anti-jewish get sprited rebuttal from just about all of us, but jokes that are anti C of E (for example) appear to get glossed over. Perhaps it is due to a lack of response from the C of E (for example)members, perhaps it stems from the fact that everyone just assumes that the C of E (for example) folks will just grin and bear it. Whatever it is, I find it very interesting.

And yes, I am C of E (as an example)! [Razz]

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is doubtless flameworthy, but somebody (not me, [Big Grin] I can't remember who) said that they believed Jews and RCs got a "pass" on this because of a prevailing cultural idea, "Poor dears, they can't help it." But run-of-the-mill Protestants are fair game because they have supposedly "chosen" to believe what they believe, and can be mercilessly mocked.

I don't know whether this theory is more offensive to the Jews/RCs or to the Protestants. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I understand the need to close the list in order to select a top ten, but what about having a forum for the 'latecomers' - one's people have just remembered & for folks like me who've been busy then on holiday. Whilst these jokes can't be in the top ten it would be a shame if some goodies could not be shared because they were too late.

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Equestrian Bob
Apprentice
# 9505

- Posted      Profile for Equestrian Bob   Author's homepage   Email Equestrian Bob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I.'m not sure if this is the right thread for this but am I the only person who find the Comedian Ricky Gervais offensive and unfunny in the extreme.

THE OFFICE was the most smutty filth I have ever seen on the telly and a major turn off. I seemed to miss the bit where the so called Evangelical or Liberal Christian Leader attacked this muck. Did it ever happen.

Right I am going to say it Rick Gervais - you are not funny, you are smutty and you are vastly overpaid for someone with dubious talent. Mind you he probably does nto think I'm particularly funny either.

There that's got it off me chest - for now any way

--------------------
equestrian Bob

Posts: 44 | From: North London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Procrastinus

Ship's Fortean
# 9915

- Posted      Profile for Procrastinus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Equestrian Bob:
am I the only person who find the Comedian Ricky Gervais offensive and unfunny in the extreme.

THE OFFICE was the most smutty filth I have ever seen on the telly and a major turn off.

I don't really like Gervais, particularly in interviews, but The Office the most smutty filfth you've ever seen on the telly ?!? [Eek!]

Do you not watch much television ? [Confused]

Also, don't remember any religious content - offensive or otherwise - were you thinking of any particular joke or plotline ?

--------------------
Dare to be wise; begin.

Posts: 198 | From: Imaginary Future | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
THE OFFICE was the most smutty filth I have ever seen on the telly and a major turn off.

Just out of curiosity, do you have Channel 5?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Divine Outlaw
Gin-soaked boy
# 2252

- Posted      Profile for Divine Outlaw   Author's homepage   Email Divine Outlaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

I actually think you could get a decent sermon out of the final episode. But the 'most smutty filth', get a grip, perlease.

--------------------
insert amusing sig. here

Brendan
Apprentice
# 10223

- Posted      Profile for Brendan   Author's homepage   Email Brendan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All this discussion about what is or is not funny is interesting, but let's get to the real issue: what jokes, if any, should be against the law?

Here are some criteria:

Any law must pass the Python test (those films are philosophy by other means, aside from their comic qualities), the Nietzsche test (I can imagine some Christians finding his work offensive, too bad we're not taking him off the curriculum), the critique-of-power test (sniggering at crowns and croziers is part of the stuggle for freedom) and the but-you-don't-have-to-watch-it test (so we censor billboards and TV trailers but not theatre or books, and push in a liberal direction re. post-watershed TV).

I'm struggling to think how a new law could pass these tests AND at the same time extend current UK legislation, let alone achieve the stated aims of this bill.

--------------------
Brendan

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016