homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Why Baptists stay horizontal

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Why Baptists stay horizontal
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by belisarius, st, Irene, Sandra, KenWritez and Andy:

Why don't Baptists make love standing up?

Because people might think they were dancing.

[ 20. July 2005, 23:38: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 85 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew this joke before opening the thread, as I was first heard it from a Baptist friend of mine back in 1981 (more or less). I would add the second joke he told me that day, but it isn't religous (although about a Baptist)—and someone would remind me the rules for this board.

The joke plays off the standard party line about Baptists.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boreal
Shipmate
# 9550

- Posted      Profile for Boreal   Email Boreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it as "because they might start dancing" which cracks me up every single time. This version isn't quite as funny.

--------------------
I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated His abilities. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 376 | From: Deepest, eastest Maine. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Boreal. I'd rather think that horizontal baptists were more concerned with the risk of sinning than about what other people might think.

One punch line makes them devout, the other, hypocritical.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The version i heard went "Why has Wheaton College banned sex? Because it might lead to dancing".

I find it moderately amusing. I'm a British baptist, so this has less power as we're not as upright as some of our transatlantic brethren.

Fo me it works on a whole bunch of levels, it gently pokes fun at our more silly ideas, the butt of the joke isn't any one person, but an idea, and one that has held a lot of people back. Not offensive to me at all, perhaps this is a good example of religious humour, and one that fits the bill of what we're looking for in this experiment to identify jokes that might border on criticism of a particular group.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a Seventh-day Adventist joke too. The punchline I'd always heard was "Because it might lead to dancing," which I find funnier.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One nitpick--I didn't submit this particular joke, though I have heard it (the slightly edgier variant, with the minister saying the punchline to his female friend within the church).

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But it's so very old... I've heard it about a million times over the last 20 years or so... [Snore]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is far too old for me to find it funny.

I last heard it told about Mennonites, and the punchline was 'Because it might lead to dancing'. I do agree that's a better punchline.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
whitelodge
Shipmate
# 3339

- Posted      Profile for whitelodge   Author's homepage   Email whitelodge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I first heard this it was an Orthodox Rabbi being asked if any sexual positions are not lawful. He says, "They're all fine. Except standing up... that could lead to dancing."

I kind of prefer this for the whole Talmudic scholarship aspect that you get when it's a Jewish joke.

Posts: 130 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by whitelodge:
The way I first heard this it was an Orthodox Rabbi being asked if any sexual positions are not lawful. He says, "They're all fine. Except standing up... that could lead to dancing."

[Confused] But why would dancing be an issue? AFAIK, Jews, not even the Orthodox ones, have anything against dancing.

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
[QUOTE]But why would dancing be an issue? AFAIK, Jews, not even the Orthodox ones, have anything against dancing.

According to John Safran vs God (or maybe it was Music Jamboree? Anyway) he went to this Jewish school that didn't allow dancing.

Certain Australian Lutherans weren't allowed to dance either, in The Past.

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016