homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The open tomb

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The open tomb
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by quang:

On the third day, Mary went to the garden and saw in amazement that the door to the tomb was open. Suddenly she felt the presence of her Lord beside her. She looked at him and said...

"Oi! Jesus, were you born in a barn?"

[ 20. July 2005, 23:39: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 73 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked this for its playfulness with an enormously significant event. What's interesting, though, is that the punchline is begging for a swear word to toughen it up. Without it, the payoff lacks power.

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nonsense. [Disappointed]
jokes don;t need swear-words to make them funny.
What's wrong with having jokes that are innocent enough to tell your Gran ?

[ 19. July 2005, 10:18: Message edited by: Papa Smurf ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Papa Smurf, I'm curious about the swearing. Perhaps that can be a topic in itself?

If I see gratuitous swearing in any form I tend to switch off, or else think it's not that funny so they need to try and get a laugh from swearing [which I don't understand either].

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My local baptist church made this same pun on their Christmas parade float. "Yes, he was born in a barn, that's why he always leaves the door open".

I like the concept. I, too, like the playfullness.
Somehow it seems to me to fall a little flat here.
Maybe it would work better (for me) as a post-resurrection appearance, or even as an 'event in the life' of Jesus.

I want to emphasize, not because I think the morning of the resurrection is a sacred cow that just can't be touched by humour. I'm not sure exactly why, though. I'll keep thinking about it. Maybe someone else will feel the same way and name it for me.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one would be better with a longer build up before it gets to the punchline, so that the scene could be set more fully.

I like the interplay of concepts in this joke.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with AM about the unfortunate lack of gratuitous bad language.

It annoys me when comedians lean on the word "fuck" as a lazy shortcut (pardon the mixed metaphor) to getting a laugh, but I think it this case a little cursing would add something.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other option would be something along the lines of a swat to the behind, or grabbing him by the ear accompanying the admonition. Keeps it clean, but strengthens the punchline a bit.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
it took me a moment to think why leaving the tomb open would upset his mum. after all, its not really like leaving the house door open is it? that made it less funny for me.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oooh... his mum...
somehow, in a resurrection morning story, that's not the 'Mary' that leaps to my mind...

sure, I guess that's funnier. Maybe.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the reference was to Mary Magdalene as well.

I found this joke to be mildly amusing and not offensive in the least. It took me a minute to connect 'born in a barn' with leaving the door open - I think it would be funnier if I had frequently heard that expression in the past.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheLearner
Apprentice
# 9740

- Posted      Profile for TheLearner   Email TheLearner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this joke hillarious. Myself being from a Jewish family, my grandmother and aunts of mine often used the word "Oi" when expressing distaste.

In addition, any joke that emphazises the humanity of either Jesus or Mary will get thumbs up from me. Maybe I am easily amused, but the combination of cultural/family language (Oi, were you born in a barn?) and the humanity of the family of God made for a good joke. Not offensive at all.

J

--------------------
Pollack

"All Christians should be tools in the hand of God, but some are bigger tools than others." -Anonymous (Hope I didn't see this one on SoF)

Posts: 21 | From: Siloam Springs, AR, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This amused me quite a lot, maybe because my husband is always leaving the front door open.

I felt there was a slight offence in joking about the Resurrection, but not that much, because what Mary says is kind of affectionate criticism (as well as being ironic, since he was indeed 'born in a barn').

But overall, pretty funny and unexpected.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016