homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The nun in the bath

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The nun in the bath
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Noel:

A nun is lying in the bath washing herself when there is a knock at the door.

"Who is it?" she asks.

"It's the blind man," comes the reply.

"Come on in, my child," the nun says.

The door opens and a man walks in.

"Nice tits. Where do you want the blinds?"

[Title]

[ 02. August 2005, 11:22: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 79 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This must be the most blatant example of a joke slightly reworked to make it a religious joke. In fact, it is a religious joke only because of one word.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure that even that one word makes it a religious joke.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is one of my favourite jokes, told very well. A bit of a double-entendre, or at least a double meaning...

Likely only a nun (or an elderly spinster who teaches Sunday School) would be offended.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this joke, though I agree it's not really a religious.
Though it contains the words "my child", so that's three words.

(btw, interesting choice of quotes Sir Kevin from someone who died of alcoholic poisoning at 39.)

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Master Tubby Bear
Shipmate
# 9739

- Posted      Profile for Master Tubby Bear   Email Master Tubby Bear       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess it qualifies as a religious joke if it's been on "The Vicar of Dibley"

--------------------
In every I Love You there is a Goodbye

Posts: 391 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SteveTom:
...(btw, interesting choice of quotes Sir Kevin from someone who died of alcoholic poisoning at 39.)

I had forgotten that, but it reminds me to cut back on my drinking.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not a religious joke at all, but it does have to involve the kind of woman who would not normally want to expose her -- ahem -- flesh to a man. The clearest and most obvious candidate for that would be a nun. There are other possibilities, but unless you've been exposed to too many dirty jokes involving nuns, the simple word "nun" is equated with either innocence, sexual purity or even a repressed sexuality. The reason there are so many jokes involving nuns having sex is because that one idea -- a nun having sex -- is a paradox, and many jokes rely on paradoxes to work.

This particular joke, though, relies on embarrassment. Few people actually relish the prospect of finding themselves naked in public, and it's this fear -- or, if you've been rather unlucky, this experience -- that the joke plays on. In a sense, it makes us laugh in part because we could just about imagine ourselves in a similar situation of acute embarrassment. That in itself isn't enough, the pun is needed as well, and the slight touch of vulgarity is the finishing touch (it accentuates the embarrassment factor).

Without the pun, the joke just turns into an anecdote of a man walking in on a nun having her bath, which would be a "you-had-to-be-there" type story. The pun on its own is pretty lame. The two together is quite amusing.

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016