homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Anti-Catholicism in jokes?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anti-Catholicism in jokes?
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do so many of the jokes we've received have Catholic characters... and does this equate to anti-Catholicism?
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Celibacy and a perceived anti-Catholic bias in some forms of religious jokes. You don't get half as many jokes about the Archbishop of Canterbury as you do about the Pope. Priests in religious jokes tend to be equated with Catholic paedophiles and celibates often seem to be the target of jokes. Have you had any jokes about Orthodox clergy or other denominations or practices specific to them? ... I'm curious to get an idea of roughly what proportion of what you've received is overtly about Catholic clergy or practices as opposed to any other denomination.

We've received over 650 jokes so far, and no one has yet done a count on how many of those have Catholic elements. But looking at the jokes posted on this board, here's the tally of the ones which have a specifically Catholic character or practice as the focus of the joke:

Nuns (7)
Priests (5)
The Pope (2)
Rome (1)
Statues in church (1)
Medjugorje (1)

Out of 55 jokes posted so far, 17 are Catholic (i.e. just over 30 per cent of the total). It could be that the Laugh Judgment selectors have an anti-Catholic bias, of course... but as far as I know, we've just selected the jokes which looked most funny or most interesting. We haven't had any jokes about Orthodox clergy. We have had one about the Archbishop of Canterbury, which I'll post in a few mins.

[ 19. July 2005, 08:18: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are all the priests you mentioned specifically Catholic priests? When I read the word "priest" my first thought is a an Anglican priest, but I suppose that indicates where I am coming from. Similarly with nuns. There are Anglican nuns you know. So that would leave five specifically RC jokes? Plus the priest ones about celibacy (I really don't want to re-read them though).

I suppose with the scandals coming to light in recent years then maybe a lot of people assume the priests in the jokes are Roman Catholic, but I recall in the 70s and 80s that the tabloids just loved a chance to get "vicar" and "sex" in the same front page headline.

[ 19. July 2005, 08:35: Message edited by: Jonah the Whale ]

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not really surprised. I think there a several reasons to this.

First of all, the RC church sees itself as the direct successor of Christ, and of St Peter. Thus, it puts itself (perhaps rightly so) in a position of quite exclusive authority.

Secondly, the RCC is by far the largest and most well-structured Christian organisation in the world.

Thirdly, the RCC has an internal system of quite strict rules, valid for everyone. Some of these may be of a different age, and culturally bound, e.g. celibacy of priests, non-admission of women to priesthood, the 'infallibility' of the Pope, etc.

It seems therefore that for all of these three reasons, the RCC acts as a representative and perhaps catalyst of Christian faith, and naturally finds itself the target of a great many jokes and puns.

People seem to want to express their disagreement or discontent about those in authority, and vent their anger. This is the similar in any organisation, Christian or not, but due to the sheer overwhelming number of RCs, this puts much more weight (and perhaps wit? [Biased] ) to it.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boreal
Shipmate
# 9550

- Posted      Profile for Boreal   Email Boreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've said this on the threads, and I'll say it again. One of the biggest reasons for this is that according to the RC rules (and public perception) RC priests and nuns are supposed to be celibate. This therefore opens up whole avenues of humor about their inexperience (ie, the nun who shouts out that she's sick of chablis, so she's glad there's now a case of chlamyida in the convent), or their possible experience when they're not supposed to have had any. Particularly when the latter, if you tell a joke saying "so this average guy in the street had taken a vow of celibacy" and then reveal that he's broken it, the whole joke doens't work, as there doesn't seem to have been any deep motivation or reason behind his vow, except this cheap joke.

I think if there was another religious order as well known for the celibacy of their clergy and nuns across the board as the RC, there would be just as many jokes about those. I don't see it as an anti-Catholic bias on the whole, just jokes about celibacy.

Although I do find the jokes about priests and the abuse scandal in the "all priests are pedophiles" tasteless in the extreme. That's a different view, and I think it is indeed anti-Catholic, when in fact there has sadly been abuse across all religions, just not as well publicized. The biggest scandal for the RC on this one was the hush up and the transfer of priests without warning, thus continuing exposing kids to danger, which is why it got the most press. But that's not the same as "all priests are pedophiles" and is a disservice to those who do serve admirably to make jokes in this vein.

In my experience, those who are celibate and in religious orders laugh about it the most. But I don't know anyone who would be involved in the abuse scandals who would laugh about it.

--------------------
I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated His abilities. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 376 | From: Deepest, eastest Maine. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonah... the five jokes are specifically about Catholic priests -- they either use the word "Catholic" or relate to the confessional and celibacy. It might be argued that they could apply to Anglo-catholic priests, but as far as I know, Anglo-catholicism doesn't feature very highly in popular joke-telling.

I deliberately left out jokes that simply used the word "priest" with no obvious Roman Catholic setting, including three of the child abuse jokes: "Girl on a cliff", "Priest and pimple" and "What do you give..."

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I stand corrected. As I said, there were some jokes in that lot I really didn't fancy re-reading to check.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
Why do so many of the jokes we've received have Catholic characters... and does this equate to anti-Catholicism?

Actually, I think it's one big, fat compliment to Catholicism. The "number one" in some sense is always a prime target for jokes. Think of it this way: you never have to explain a "Catholic" joke, because everybody knows "what Catholics are like" (including many non-Christians). That is not necessarily so for other denominations. Take my submitted joke (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) about Unitarians: a good many people won't get the joke because they simply don't know the characteristics of that denomination.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To quote a baptist friend of mine:
quote:
as a Protestant, I don't have any tyrannical authority-figure to look up to for blessing and approval. So I borrow the Catholics' when I need one.
If we want to do jokes about christian leaders, talking about the current chair of district, mediator or whatever just isn't as funny as referring to the pope. They don't have the same status, so it's not so much fun to knock them down from it. So yes, I suppose a lot of the Catholic jokes are complements in disguise.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still in consecrated life, and was RC (with many years in church ministries), so perhaps my perspective would be different than the norm. As well, I am old enough to remember the entire 'pre Vatican II mystique' [Big Grin] - much religious humour from the days when nuns dressed in mediaeval garb and when some people would have centred their lives on visits from the priest for advice (no sinister element) would no longer work.

I do not see an anti-Catholic element in there being many RC jokes at all. This is the distinction that I see, which may seem obvious. In the particular case of this board, the topic is not religious humour in general, but the boundaries of what in such humour is offensive. There are scores of religious jokes which are not offensive in the least, and many of these would be related to the RC church specifically. Many would be warm, nostalgic, or otherwise quite positive. The only reason I can see that the ones here could possibly be taken as 'anti-Catholic' (Baptist, Jewish, whatever) is that exploring offence was the aim and jokes with that element were submitted.

Part of the humour that could be derived from celibacy might not be as apparent today - when it is being blamed for paedophilia... First, there is an element of paradox which those strongly RC might be able to catch. RC parish priests or those with vows of chastity (monks, nuns) often indeed are innocent in their personal behaviour - yet, within their ministries, often have been exposed to not only every variety of sexual behaviour (in discussion! I myself was once involved with a study related to norms for dealing with sex abuse cases, and a priest in the confessional has heard more than a prison psychiatrist) but has little capacity for blushing as a result. Yet (perhaps this has changed, but it was true post-Pius XI until certainly my own young adult years) priests and nuns had to be very careful about speaking of such matters openly. For example, a teaching Sister, not at all ignorant, had to skirt discussion of sexual matters, even in depth in a biology lesson or question in a theology class. It was not that she was stupid or embarrassed - but that parents might protest that they are supposed to be the only teachers of such particulars!

On another note, and silly though this is, I also am old enough to remember when any unmarried lady was considered (in some circles) to be so totally ignorant of anything related to sex (or even the difference between male and female bodies) that people would think they could not discuss that anyone had a hernia operation, or a miscarriage, whatever, in front of 'a single girl.' I think that some people thought that nuns, for example, thought angels delivered babies. In reality, though most nuns have been faithful to their vows of chastity and have no intention of violating them, such ignorance would be rare (and problematic if it did exist.) But contrasting an adult who supposedly is more ignorant of sex than an infant with a situation where there are such references is a prime topic for humour. (There used to be lots of jokes about innocent brides that were on that level.)

Today, with all the ecumenical efforts and casual liturgies, it might be easy to miss that Catholics not only were 'outsiders' in a Protestant culture but that many of them gloried in this, and set up their own institutions or groups with pride. (Of course, those who were Catholics from the time of the first Elizabeth to that of the second might have had another approach, but that's another topic for another thread.) The elements which set Catholics apart - the celibate clergy (who were seen as stronger for the sacrifice and dedication), certain devotions, beliefs about Mary - led to many an 'inside joke.' Of course, whatever differs from a norm can be the butt of ridicule, but the pride that Catholics used to take in being different balanced out the equation!

Though there have been few on this board, jokes about confession (which were not at all offensive) used to be quite popular. Before Humanae Vitae, when confession suddenly became a way for the big, bad hierarchy to control people's consciences, many people I knew (not my family, but especially devout Irish) used to have a little Saturday afternoon outing each week, for confession that was intended to help one gain indulgences or graces - those who went weekly usually had nothing to really confess (or thought they did not). [Biased] So, various treatments of the subject made good 'joke material,' funnier for being true. One good friend of mine, who was a priest, used to tell me that he thought he'd spend his purgatory hearing confessions of pious Irish women, "they tell everything except what they should, and about everyone's sins but their own." As well, when someone actually did have 'something to say,' their embarrassment would often make them cloak it in euphemism.

Even Anglo-Catholics who make sacramental confession would never have used it as a weekly exercise, nor joined a crowd walking to the church on Saturday afternoon for this ritual. Today, a joke about confession could be seen as offensive because it either is not a part of some RC lives or is connected to intense devotion or repentance. Such jokes were not offensive in the days when it was largely a devotional action.

I realised I've rambled too much already, and I hope that at least a bit of it was useful. Yet I think basically that the distinctive nature of some RC practises (just as is true with Jews, who are also 'out of the mainstream') cries out for parody and exploration, yet at the same time is inoffensive when it is equally seen in the light of a group which valued and indeed often flaunted its 'oddity.'

The paedophile 'humour' indeed can be anti-Catholic, but again I see the sadness there in a larger sense. Many RC priests were superb in pastoral care, and indeed those of my generation would have known many young people whose lives had a very positive influence from priests (and, no, I do not mean they later remembered being molested.) Today, those who could indeed be helpful are hampered from this by fears of liability and unjust accusations, and the overall suspicion of 'all priests as paedophiles.' The celibacy of the clergy, which used to be seen as rather heroic and part of a total dedication to the parish (even if it meant criminal prosecution for defying laws against Catholicism once upon a time), now is viewed as some twisted way to turn men into criminals.

[ 19. July 2005, 12:27: Message edited by: Newman's Own ]

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:

To my great surprise, I'm going to have to side with IngoB on this one. I think there are a lot of jokes about Catholics because there is an official position which almost everyone recognizes. And it's not like the Catholic church is in any danger of falling just because people poke fun at it.

[ 19. July 2005, 17:44: Message edited by: saysay ]

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
wing
Apprentice
# 9833

- Posted      Profile for wing   Email wing   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i am ambitious that i want to get enough posts in that i can have a custom avatar (you will just love the character i have created)!
as to the jokes about rape, pedophilia, fantasy about celibate women, and so on and so forth, "scatological" as well, all of these can be very offensive but not necessarily because they offend religion. one of the time honour traditions of vernacular society is, for example, to haze women and girls by verbal sexual harrassment (for instance, the "dirty old man" who sits beside you on the bus and starts talking about sexual things......of course it's offensive because it's a boundary violation, a lack of respect for another human being to impose that upon her) and part of that vernacular tradition is to put the onus on the "offended" that the only reason it's offensive is the person is an uptight prude....that's a slander of course, but c'est la vie. same as "pedophiles"...they put the responsibility onto the child they violate...that somehow the child should be reminding them of the responsibility that goes with authority. ANYWAY, the joke about Jesus masturbating in the wounds of His hands is offensive, but not because it offends religion (if religion is belief in "god") but because it offends our sense of respect for other human beings.
i look forward to more discussion
i wonder about this also: if the whole point of Jesus sacrifice is to redeem us "...no greater love than to lay down His life for another...." then the subject matter, Jesus HUMANITY can't be offensive.

--------------------
god is an imaginary being

Posts: 3 | From: Canada (West Coast) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think for any joke to work, there needs to be a common reference point. The Catholic Church is big enough to be a universal reference.

I could offer any number of jokes about my own denomination, and other Disciples might find them hysterically funny (or not!), but they would likely be incomprehensible to anyone outside our circle.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boreal
Shipmate
# 9550

- Posted      Profile for Boreal   Email Boreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is the same reason why (for example) the man on the bridge joke works. Most people won't be familiar with the doctrines put forth in that joke, but they will recognize that there's a lot of very fine lines between denoms, etc, and petty arguments about these points. That's just families, never mind religion!

--------------------
I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated His abilities. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 376 | From: Deepest, eastest Maine. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
I'm still in consecrated life, and was RC (with many years in church ministries), so perhaps my perspective would be different than the norm.

Whose 'norm' would your perspective be different to (or from)? Obviously you'll have your own unique perspective on an issue because of your particular experience, but I wondered which or whose 'norm' this perspective was to be contrasted with, in this case.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselmina:
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
I'm still in consecrated life, and was RC (with many years in church ministries), so perhaps my perspective would be different than the norm.

Whose 'norm' would your perspective be different to (or from)? Obviously you'll have your own unique perspective on an issue because of your particular experience, but I wondered which or whose 'norm' this perspective was to be contrasted with, in this case.
I'm sorry - I should have been clearer. Inside jokes about celibacy, I would say, can have a different meaning for those who actually are celibates - and often a broader one. Obviously, celibacy is not a norm. [Smile]

One thing I have found interesting, not only on this particular board but since the Ship's inception, is how it has surprised me over what people do become offended. I remember some hilarious articles Simon wrote in the early days - some MW reports that had me on the floor - and how unexpected it was that people were offended. (I still remember the C of E project about the Internet about which Simon wrote with great humour, to the chagrin of one participant. Or the church where feathers were ruffled because the organist broke her wrist...)

In my experience, a small number of people can be offended because a particular matter is especially delicate for them. For example, there were a number of very clever jokes in circulation 30 years ago, which centred on the negative side of Vatican II. Most people in RC church work found them funny - but others (for example, lay people who felt it was the Council that gave them the opportunity for new ministries) could be very slighted. (This though the jokes had nothing at all to do with people in new ministries.)

Actually, there are a number of attitudes which I encountered through my long RC career that cry out for inclusion in jokes - yet I've never seen any on those topics. People who are sent out to 'visit' who have no idea what they are doing. Priests who answer everything with "but it's your obligation." NFP practitioners who think the world is crying out to know what day they bonked that week. Nuns who will address a group of young adults, who join said group hoping to meet spouses, with crap about 'single life as vocation.'

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is totally from the English standpoint.

I wonder if a hundred years ago there was a lot of non-conformist jokes, if JB Priestley's When we are married is anything to go by, it was the case. One simply could not imagine anyone writing such a play today (mores the pity as non-conformity is as cliche bound as ever).

Now this is interesting, because the non-conformist then and the Roman Catholics today would describe themselves as "the new establishment" of words to that effect.

I think therefore part of it may be a case of that good old English pastime "Teasing them who have got ideas of themselves above their station".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's because the RC church has more stuff to make jokes about. While more Protestant churches (I mean Baptist, etc. rather than Anglican) have people of a certain personality type which can be parodied (the Church Lady from Saturday Night Live, for example, as well as televangelists), they don't have a set of things (special clothes, icons or statues, the confessional, and so on) which one can make jokes about. It could be argued that the more individualistic approach of the more Protestant churches means less church structure to make jokes about as well. There are a few jokes about sermons, bits about the Bible (Who are the five constipated men in the Bible? etc.) but the sorts of incongruities one can explore in many jokes which turn on special clothing and mistaken identity (nuns, priests, monks wear habits), religious artifacts, church structure, and so on seem to be things which a more Protestant church doesn't have as much to work with.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
RC priests have become the Western cultural archetype for "priest."

Read this: Two priests walk into a bar....

What type of priests did you see in your mind? I'll bet most of you saw Roman Catholic priests. Very few saw Hindu priests or rabbis.

Read this: Three nuns walk into a church....

Again, I'll bet most of you saw Roman Catholic nuns and the church was likely a huge Gothic cathedral. Very few saw Buddhist nuns walk into a Shinto shrine or evangelical church.

The price of that archetype is commonality; RC priests are the default icon for all priests unless noted otherwise.

"Two televangelists walk into a bar...."

See?

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:

[Eek!]
The mind boggles!

[ 21. July 2005, 20:48: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Skip Church
Apprentice
# 9824

- Posted      Profile for Skip Church   Author's homepage   Email Skip Church   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon: Out of 55 jokes posted so far, 17 are Catholic (i.e. just over 30 per cent of the total).
What, only 30% of the jokes are Catholic? But 50% of all Christians in the world are Catholic. They are beneath their joke quota!

--------------------
Do you imagine heaven will consist of eternally singing songs to God, or will we have jobs there, and friends, places to dine out, and stand up comics to listen to (but nobody's sick, nobody's ugly, nobody's boring, nobody smells, and nobody poops)?

Posts: 1 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
J. J. Ramsey
Shipmate
# 1174

- Posted      Profile for J. J. Ramsey   Author's homepage   Email J. J. Ramsey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What type of priests did you see in your mind? I'll bet most of you saw Roman Catholic priests. Very few saw Hindu priests or rabbis.

[tangent]
Um, rabbis aren't priests. Hebrew priests are descendents of Aaron.
[/tangent]

[ 25. July 2005, 20:47: Message edited by: J. J. Ramsey ]

--------------------
I am a rationalist. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually make me rational.

Posts: 1490 | From: Tallmadge, OH | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phred22
Apprentice
# 3857

- Posted      Profile for Phred22   Email Phred22   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little surprised you haven't had more jokes about evangelicals. Is it simply a shortage of American posters or is something else at work [Disappointed]
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J. J. Ramsey:
quote:

[tangent]
Um, rabbis aren't priests. Hebrew priests are descendents of Aaron.
[/tangent]

I didn't even know Hindus had priests.
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know about buddhist nuns either.... but just looked it up..... long tradition etc. etc. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phred22:
I'm a little surprised you haven't had more jokes about evangelicals. Is it simply a shortage of American posters or is something else at work [Disappointed]

Perhaps it's that "you can't burlesque burlesque" thing at work?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you could say something about the hair--televangelists tend to have pompadour style things that much use a great deal of hair spray. Females it's probably the pancake makeup and industrial grade mascara (thinking Tammy Faye here). A fair amount of Southern Baptist jokes could probably be used on televangelists too.

I have some hostility toward these people because in the last years of her life my mother watched them constantly and believed every single word they said. Once she called me up to tell me she had been healed of her MS, which made me angry at whomever had told her such a thing. There was no evidence then or later that any change in her condition had occurred. Anyhow(tries to stop ranting and rambling) any jokes that really skewer those people will probably appeal to me, if there are any.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

See?

But it could have gone like this:

'One was concussed and the other suffered mild contusions. It was an iron bar, of course.'

I know. Hardly hilarious! But it's possible [Big Grin] ?!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

See?

'One was concussed and the other suffered mild contusions. It was an iron bar, of course.'

More likely, it will end with them turning the wine into water...

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
quote:

See?

More likely, it will end with them turning the wine into water...

--Tom Clune

After drinking it?

(They entered the bar through the Baptist door, of course.)

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There must be a 65 to 70% chance of me getting my hosting boots on soon. Can we keep this thread on track please?

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Phred22
Apprentice
# 3857

- Posted      Profile for Phred22   Email Phred22   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been wondering if the fact that pedophile priests were, until a few years back, a closely-held dirty secret, has anything to do with the number of jokes now circulating on the subject. How often do joke-tellers get something truly new in the way of material? [Confused]
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phred22:
I've been wondering if the fact that pedophile priests were, until a few years back, a closely-held dirty secret, has anything to do with the number of jokes now circulating on the subject. How often do joke-tellers get something truly new in the way of material? [Confused]

It's very human, if a bit sick, to make jokes out of dark material. Look at the dingo baby jokes, the Challenger explosion jokes etc. etc.

The current run of "Priest as paedophile" jokes spring from the fairly recent uncovering of past abuse. Some of them, such as the "new priest's confession" are "survivor's humour" as well as a play on the innoncence of those asking the question. Some, such as "Pimple" are protest by humour in the long tradition of attack by dark mockery or acerbic satire of those who set themselves up as role models or good teacher or leaders while privately being the exact opposite. It's a stripping of the "whited sepulchre".

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
phred22 claims:
that pedophile priests were, until a few years back, a closely-held dirty secret

Idly thumbing through my two volume set of 4750 limmericks (copyrights MCMLXIV & MCMLXXIII), there is no shortage of five-line priest-buggers-boy poesie. I've never believed it was ever much of a secret, closely-held or otherwise.
Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a nasty suspicion that, until relatively recently, paedophile priests were seen as not so much a closely-guarded secret, but not such a terribly great deal. The shock and horror has increased in proportion to the move from children being seen as little more than servants to being seen as little gods to be protected.

People laughed in a nudge, nudge, wink, wink way because they knew it went on, rather like the nudging and winking about unmarried couples. But the paedophile jokes have more shock-value now.

When I hear the word 'priest' I either think of Roman Catholic or Anglo-Catholic. Perhaps evangelicals will correct me if I'm wrong, but IME evangelicals don't tend to call their vicars or ministers 'priests'. When I used to attend a MOTR church years ago, I didn't hear the word much either - if it was used at all it tended to be by former ACs who happened to be worshipping somewhere a little lower down the candle.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016