homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Phone call for the Archbishop

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Phone call for the Archbishop
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by archimandrite elias:

One of the Archbishop of Canterbury's assistants runs in breathless and says to him, "I've got some good news and some bad news. Which do you want first?"

The Archbishop says, "Give me the good news."

The assistant replies, "I've got Jesus on the phone for you."

The Archbishop says, "And the bad news?"

"He's calling from Salt Lake City."

[ 20. July 2005, 23:39: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 78 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alaric the Goth
Shipmate
# 511

- Posted      Profile for Alaric the Goth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's mildly amusing and not at all offensive. I intend to adjust it somewhat and tell it to a Northern Irish bloke at work: the Reverend Ian Paisley is told the message, and Jesus is at the Vatican! I think that'll work much better.

--------------------
'Angels and demons dancing in my head,
Lunatics and monsters underneath my bed' ('Totem', Rush)

Posts: 3322 | From: West Thriding | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that Alaric's version would be more funnier also.

Perhaps my prejudice is showing, but I think having the joke on someone I find to be offensive [the Revd Ian Paisley] makes it more funny for me. Not sure what that says about me.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oh_Susannah
Apprentice
# 9746

- Posted      Profile for Oh_Susannah   Email Oh_Susannah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you lived in North America,
you might find the Salt Lake City line funnier.
I almost snorted Pepsi all over my keyboard
when I read it.

Sue - western Canadian

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
the way i heard that one was it was the pope and the college of cardinals.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard another version of this, which may or may not be more offensive than the original - in which the person on the line is Jesus's [I[ wife [/I], calling from Salt Lake City.
For some reason I find this funnier than the original - though I'm really not sure (not being of that persuasion myself) whether this version is a Mormon joke or an anti-Mormon joke.

mn

--------------------
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it.

Posts: 129 | From: out there | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oops sorry, should have added just then that in the 'wife' version the recipient of the call is always the Pope, rather than Cantuar or anyone else. Guess this could link in to the ongoing catholicism/celibacy/joke-proneness debate.

mn

--------------------
Deal with it.

Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

Should of course have read:
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Scholar:
I've heard another version of this, which may or may not be more offensive than the original - in which the person on the line is Jesus's wife , calling from Salt Lake City.

but I didn't notice the broken code in time. Sorry about that. Preview Post should be my best friend too [Smile]

--------------------
Deal with it.

TheLearner
Apprentice
# 9740

- Posted      Profile for TheLearner   Email TheLearner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this joke quite humorous even though I've heard it before. It is very difficult to change one's theological ideas, especially after rising to such a level of prominence as the Archbishop of Canterbury.
This joke was funny to me because I was able to, in some way, identify with the Archbishop as his paradigm was suddenly jolted in a new direction. I've been trying to be more opend minded myself lately, and looking closely at the many religious ideas that I could have a wrong opinion on.

Jason

--------------------
Pollack

"All Christians should be tools in the hand of God, but some are bigger tools than others." -Anonymous (Hope I didn't see this one on SoF)

Posts: 21 | From: Siloam Springs, AR, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Long-Johns Silver
Apprentice
# 1763

- Posted      Profile for Long-Johns Silver   Author's homepage   Email Long-Johns Silver   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Similar theme in the one where the pope uses Ian Paisley's phone to call Heaven - and it's expensive, but when Paisley is in the vatican he uses the Popes and it's very cheap - Pope says "well it's a local call"

all variants on a theme - all mildly amusing and not offensive.

--------------------
"Smile", they said "it could be worse".
So I did...
And it was.

Posts: 49 | From: "The Church" - Church Inn that is :-) | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, I think I like the Ian Paisley one much better.

*slightly evil grin*

Being Northern Irish and all.

[Smile]

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Julian4
Shipmate
# 9937

- Posted      Profile for Julian4   Email Julian4   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Jesus' wife" version Midnight Scolar refers to wouldn't work for me as it wouldn't fit into the good news/bad news mould. I'm sure there are plenty of variations but they've got to be of the form:-
Good news: Jesus (or God) is calling for you
Bad news: What you've always thought about Him is wrong, e.g. He's a She, He's in Salt Lake City (so therefore a Mormon), He's in Rome (so therefore an RC (only works if you're not))
If it's his wife that calls, that's the bad news element first.

Posts: 305 | From: Dorset | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016