homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Unwanted bats

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Unwanted bats
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Organmeister and Ann:

A Lutheran church and a Roman Catholic church stood across the street from each other. Over the years, the Catholic priest and the Lutheran pastor had become great friends and often spent a morning discussing their respective congregation's problems over coffee and donuts.

One morning, the priest said that his church had bats in the bell tower. He recounted how he had done everything possible to drive them away. He had rung the bells long and loud. He had used every kind of bat repellent known to man, and yet the bats returned.

The Lutheran pastor replied, "We used to have the same problem with bats. Now, when I find a bat in the bell tower, I baptize it, confirm it, give it its first communion, and I never see it again!"

[ 27. July 2005, 09:03: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 80 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one.

Nice and clean too.

I can't see it being offensive. It plays wonderfully on the sad fact that often religious ceremonies are seen as some sort of social necessity, and then the people never darken the doors again.

[ 21. July 2005, 01:45: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not offensive at all. The only surprise was that I was expecting the RC priest to deliver the punchline - it certainly works in our church anyway [Frown]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it works (with appropriate variations, depending on liturgical usage) for any church, which is very nice.

I also like bats. [Cool]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard basically the same joke, but with a collection of ministers who each go through the elaborate steps they've taken to get rid of the bats, each more ridiculous than the last. So the first minister says "oh, we got in the local bat charity and they tried to catch them and release them outside, they always came back", the second says "we got the local game keeper in to shoot them, but he couldn't see them in the dark and kept shooting out the stained glass windows" and then the third has the "we baptise and confirm them".

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
here's a question, btw. why is this joke about bats rather than pigeons, which are, i think, just as likely to move into a belfrey and make a mess? are bats somehow funnier than pigeons? or is it some resonance with the phrase "bats in the belfrey" meaning "crazy"?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Codepoet

Best Bear On Board
# 5964

- Posted      Profile for Codepoet   Email Codepoet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
here's a question, btw. why is this joke about bats rather than pigeons, which are, i think, just as likely to move into a belfrey and make a mess? are bats somehow funnier than pigeons? or is it some resonance with the phrase "bats in the belfrey" meaning "crazy"?

'cos (in the UK at least) bats are protected so you can't kill them, but pigeons are not, so they are easier to dispatch using firearms.

--------------------
It's more important to be kind than to be right.

Posts: 1156 | From: Southampton | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
but i've heard this joke in america too, and its still bats rather than pigeons.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A church that I used to attend had a major problem with bats in the attic, and often you'd see the minister running around with a broom. Best incident we had was when decided to join us for a service and took the low route under the pews. Most spirited service we ever had.
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
why is this joke about bats rather than pigeons, which are, i think, just as likely to move into a belfrey and make a mess?

I think it's simply because bats and belfries go together in peoples minds. When people think of pigeons then they think of Trafalgar Square not their local chapel.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

maybe its me... i do tend to think of pigeons and churches because the church where my al anon meeting is has a problem with them nesting over the door, so in the unlikely event i were making up this joke from scratch, i'd be more likely to have pigeons being the problem.

--------------------

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd heard this before, but it's still funny. It pokes fun at a reality of church life, but not at anything 'sacred', so it's funny without being offensive.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And pigeons are more of a problem than bats, because bats are cuddlier. [Biased]

Seriously, I don't think of pigeons at church. Nor, actually, bats, apart from the phrase "bats in the belfry." I think of piegons as things that live in cities and bats as things that live in caves, but neither being church-specific.

David
thinks bats are, indeed, adorable, but not especially ecclesiastical per se

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the issue is that bats are protected in the UK by many laws whilst pigeons are not. You can shoot pigeons but once you have bats in a church (or any place for that matter) you can't even block the entrance holes up whilst they are breeding and even when not you need permission from the the Department of the Enviroment to do anything. Bat's droppings are not good for church furniture hence you don't want bats in a church.
The joke depends on knowing how difficult bats are to get rid of in the UK.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
here's a question, btw. why is this joke about bats rather than pigeons, which are, i think, just as likely to move into a belfrey and make a mess? are bats somehow funnier than pigeons?

Yes, sort of comic and weird and a bit scary. Pigeons are just fat and boring. (They're supposed to be very intelligent actually, but I haven't seen much evidence for it.) Also the word "bat" is a short one-syllable word with a few associations like "old bat", and "bat out of hell", so you sort of associate them with eccentric behaviour, whereas I don't think people particularly associate anything very much with pigeons, except possibly the mess they make.
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pigeons are a member of the dove family--and the dove represents the Holy Spirit--and you would want the Holy Spirit in church, one would think.
Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've taken the Holy Spirit / Dove thing as more evidence of God's humility ever since we raised doves and found how stupid they can be. Like sheep, you know.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016