homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » A priest at the races

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A priest at the races
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Ruth T:

Jimmy went out for a day at the races. Early in the day, just before a race, he saw a Catholic priest in the enclosure blessing one of the horses. In the subsequent race, the horse that was blessed won.

Jimmy thought this was interesting, so he watched the priest carefully as he went into the enclosure before the next race and blessed a horse. Jimmy went straight to the tote and put £50 on that horse, and sure enough it won. Jimmy kept on following the priest around and every horse the priest blessed, Jimmy backed it and it won its race.

Towards the end of the day, Jimmy went off to the bank and withdrew his life savings. On the last race, Jimmy watched the priest carefully, put his life savings on the horse he'd seen being blessed, and... the horse came in last.

Jimmy was devastated, and approached the priest. "That horse you blessed in the last race," he said, "it came last. What went wrong?"

"That's the trouble with you Protestants," said the priest. "You can't tell the difference between a blessing and the Last Rites."

[ 27. July 2005, 09:03: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 96 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "It's funny, because it's true."
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the few I haven't heard before, by the way. A good twist, and not telegraphed.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not at all offensive, because it doesn't ridicule any aspect of religion - except in trading on a certain link between Catholics, horses and betting... And quite funny too, because the punch line isn't predictable.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard it before; thought it was hilarious. Punchline a surprise.

I don't see the connection between Catholics and betting. I'm Catholic and don't gamble.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was solely playing on the Protestant's ignorance of Catholic rites -- I didn't see any connection between Catholicism and betting at all. After all, in the joke the only person we know is wagering on the horses is the Protestant.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one is funny.

I didn't get any connection, either, between Catholicism and gambling. I'm Catholic, too, and I just thought it poked gentle fun at some of our practices, and the punch line is a good one.

I wonder how many of the older Americans among us have fallen down laughing while listening to Tom Lehrer's "The Vatican Rag." I know I did.

It is possible to be pious and still able to laugh at ourselves.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is interesting as a joke. Given that this is in essence a dig at us poor stupid prots, I am interested to note that the usual issues of telling anti-catholic or anti-semetic jokes do not apply. No-one seems bothered by the bias expressed in this joke, as if us CofE types are just naturally going to grin and bear with such sentiments.

I thought it was bloody funny.

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good one, probably the best yet and if I have heard it before I have forgotten it.

The link betwen Catholic priests and betting is of course Ireland. Ireland used to export priests but the bloodstock (racehorse breeding) industry is huge. Irish priests regard it as patritic duty to support the cause, especially at Cheltenham in March.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016