homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Anglican chess

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Anglican chess
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by kbe323:

Q: Why don't Anglicans play chess well?

A: They can't tell a bishop from a queen.

[ 27. July 2005, 09:03: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 93 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband and I went to an Episcopal ordination once, and he had to go to into the big common room for a moment, where all the clergy were gathered. He came back to the pew where I was sitting and whispered, "It looks like a chess set in there!"
Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke only works (if at all) if you're Anglican or in a liturgical church. Too limited an audience.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
This joke only works (if at all) if you're Anglican or in a liturgical church. Too limited an audience.

I think the whole world knows whom ECUSA chooses as its bishops.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:

In fact, in many cases, that is the ONLY thing they know about us.

This was funnier the first time I heard it -- what, two years ago? -- but it's still mildly entertaining. (I first heard it from one of my gay friends.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ORGANMEISTER
Shipmate
# 6621

- Posted      Profile for ORGANMEISTER         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was not aware of the perception that all Anglican Bishops are gay!
Posts: 3162 | From: Somerset, PA - USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] Lord have mercy, how very stupid I am!

Until I read the other posts on the thread, I was elaborately weaving complex ideas related to Her Majesty, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the functions of pieces on a chess board...

In the past, I've heard Anglican jokes with references about, for example, how many married priests are gay. (It did not apply only to the clergy - more the upper class dilemma where people felt they had to be married and therefore had other partners on the side.) Yet I never thought of Anglican (or any) bishops as being gay as a rule, nor even that it was especially common - perhaps that is why I did not catch the reference.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It works well if you're not Anglican and you get to be the first one to tell it to your Anglican friends ... which I have done on several occasions.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I laughed because of alignment with personal experience (it's twoo, Mary! It's twoo!)

But lots of folks wouldn't get the queen reference, I'm afraid -- so limited audience.

I imagine the offensiveness would be related to how strongly one experiences the "ick" factor.

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:

People like Nedi Rivera? Of course, I sat next to +Otis Charles at her consecration (unintentional, but true).

Back to the joke...This is just a revision of a joke from Yes, Prime Minister when, in the episode "Bishop's Gambit," the comment is made about when choosing a bishop you get either a knave or a queen.

Do we get the joke about the operation of the Holy Spirit in the consecration of an Anglican bishop next?

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gauk
Shipmate
# 1125

- Posted      Profile for Gauk     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are variants on this, such as the cartoon of the two bishops crossing a marble paved court (black and white squares):

"Gregory, why do I have this strange diagonal urge?"

--------------------
Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence ... it is conceivable that someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence certainly never.

Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was expecting something to do with bishops, but found this particular punch line rather lame. Also, it managed to be offensive about bishops and about homosexuals at the same time, which I didn't like much. And I'm not even an Anglican!

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gauk:
There are variants on this, such as the cartoon of the two bishops crossing a marble paved court (black and white squares):

"Gregory, why do I have this strange diagonal urge?"

When I saw the title, I thought it was going to be this one. Nevertheless, I thought it funny, as there are enough clergy on the Ship who speak about wearing a 'dress'.

What I remember from 'Yes, Prime Minister' was the PM thought it might be inmportant if the ABC or other bishops actually beleved in God. I voted with the majority on this one...

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had never heard that one before and thought it was funny. I plan to circulate that one at coffee hour and see who I can catch with it [Biased] .

The Current Unpleasantness involving the ECUSA was the first level of the joke for me and of course I've been hearing a lot more about the Establishment Question in the Church of England these days on the Ship.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Coffee addict
Apprentice
# 9185

- Posted      Profile for Coffee addict   Email Coffee addict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that current climate makes this a particularly funny joke. OK - So I am right in there culturally, a gay Anglican priest. What makes it funny is the current hypocrisy - homophic heterosexuals, tortured liberals and closet gay men - they are all there in the House of Bishops and they all know it. The current rubbish and typical Anglican fudge on this issue which puts keeping the institution together above anything else, including truth and honesty,, makes this joke funny. It contains a trught that we all know but only some can achknowledge.
Posts: 1 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
works better in the USA than the UK, in which case I'd think "member of ECUSA" might work better than "Anglican".

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yer, agree with Custard. I didn't think of ECUSA when the word 'Anglican' was mentioned because I know them as 'Episcopalian', so I was trying to think of Bishop/Queen possibilities and could only think of Jeffrey John (hope that's right, freq mix the name up)... of whom they did seem to know the difference about. [Confused]

Maybe this joke is more funny for ppl who feel strongly (+ve or -ve) about the appt of gay bishops?

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Newman's Own:
[Hot and Hormonal] Lord have mercy, how very stupid I am!

Until I read the other posts on the thread, I was elaborately weaving complex ideas related to Her Majesty, the Archbishop of Canterbury, the functions of pieces on a chess board...

Me too. I thought it had something to do with the Queen's position in the Anglican Church... OliviaG

[fixed code]

[ 29. July 2005, 23:28: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016