homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Zucchini problem

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Zucchini problem
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Left at the Altar:

Two nuns are in the fruit and vegetable section of a supermarket, looking for zucchini. All the zucchini are packaged on trays and covered in plastic in groups of three.

They go through all the trays, and one says to the other, "Well, this is useless. They all come in threes. There's only two of us."

The other nun shrugs her shoulders and says, "Well, I suppose we could always eat the third one."

[Title]

[ 02. August 2005, 11:21: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 74 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fact that the joke involved nuns and courgettes enabled you to predict the punchline long before you got there. The joke therefore lost all its impact.

I didn’t find it offensive because I don’t really care to much want nuns do with their vegetables…

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, have heard many a variation on this theme - though more often with references to lesbians than to nuns. The moment the zucchini were mentioned I knew what the ending would be... I have yet to see one of these jokes incorporate any references to how massively those veggies grow when exposed to heat...

I just found this very boring. The topic is as stale as a week old scone.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rewboss
Shipmate
# 566

- Posted      Profile for rewboss   Author's homepage   Email rewboss   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Predictable -- horribly predictable, in fact.

It does, however, illustrate a very important principle of this type of humour: most of it is in your mind. What do you think the nuns are planning to do with the newly-acquired vegetables? And why do you think that?

--------------------
The latest from the world of rewboss

Posts: 1334 | From: Lower Franconia, Germany | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Disappointed] I know, I know. It is a dull and predictable joke, but it's about the only one I've heard in the past 20 years, so I put it in.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The part that made me laugh most was when I went to vote and accidentally had the cursor over one of the words, so I ended up reading, 'How fanny do you find this joke?'

Otherwise, I get the same ewwwww factor as when I click on my email inbox and get a spammy eyeful of bottoms (with zuccinis?). It's a squeamish joke rather than a religious joke. Apart from the predictable nuns aren't getting enough line.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd, I don't remeber voting in the poll...

It elicited a mild chuckle 'coz I knew there were women involved, just didn't realize they were going to be nuns and that they were actually going to eat one...

Back to first commnet as I'm sure my wife will state she didn't vote under my sign-on. Can there be a fault in the polling software?
[Ultra confused]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rewboss:
It does, however, illustrate a very important principle of this type of humour: most of it is in your mind. What do you think the nuns are planning to do with the newly-acquired vegetables? And why do you think that?

Well, I have to say it didn't immediately occur to me that they weren't shopping for food. My initial reaction was to interpret this in the way that I do when I find various packs of things in the supermarket that are double quantities or "for four/six" or whatever, i.e. you're going to end up buying more than you want. The masturbation angle didn't occur to me until I thought about it some more.

In the light of a joke it's not actually funny at all, just another example of "nuns are gagging for it" and the implication that if you're celibate you must be desperate. [Roll Eyes] [Snore]

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yer, I thought as I read it. Another puerile joke turning on the sexual habits of nuns. I am enlightened, sensitive and have progressed beyond the need to snigger at crudities involving monastic women and their sexualities. And it's not even really funny. I should know better than to re-tell this joke.

But I possibly would at a piss-up when everyone is half cut.
[Angel] [Devil]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
I am enlightened, sensitive and have progressed beyond the need to snigger at crudities involving monastic women and their sexualities.

I think it might be the crudites that's the problem! [Razz]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the reason I find jokes such as this so tiresome is that (speaking from the perspective of having known hundreds of nuns and having lived in a convent) nuns normally are not at all 'desperate for it.' Most are so involved in their ministries that (even apart from spiritual considerations) they relish the freedom that celibacy brings.

I mention this because I'm sure I'm not alone in my approach to religious (or any other) humour. Jokes which appeal to me are enjoyable because they are 'so true.' My many years in religious life have left me with no impression that nuns are likely to be looking to masturbate with vegetables.

Yet I did laugh when, in reading the book "Conclave," one of the Cardinals is troubled because the sight of chickens is giving him 'impure thoughts.' It is funny in context, not because most celibate clergy are looking to make love to birds, but because the stress was on how distorted the Cardinals' thinking became in a conclave which dragged on for months, and they were about to go mad from isolation (and this not only in relation to sex.)

I've noticed that, barring those which trade on nuns' innocence (not all nuns are in that category, of course, but those who are can be quite amusing in 'real life' as well), hardly any jokes about nuns use images that are on the mark. I've known many nuns, for example, who have some tired line they use constantly - the ones who were saying "when God closes a door, he opens a window" thirty-five years ago were succeeded by those with such repetitive terms as "oh, that is so external," or something about the oppression of women and their not getting enough recognition. (I've seen nuns whine to single mothers seeking to raise a disabled child about how they had to wait two years before they were sent for special studies they wanted.) I have never heard a joke about a nun who cuts off everyone with a stock line, yet that would be far more realistic.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016