homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » The wayward son

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The wayward son
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Andrew Rilstone, simon and Kenneth Nesbitt:

A Rabbi is saying his evening prayers.

"O Lord," he says, "a great shame has come upon my family. My eldest son has turned Christian."

God shrugs his shoulders sadly. "Your son!" he says.

[Title]

[ 02. August 2005, 11:22: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 55 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's better in the original lengthier form which features a Jewish businessman consulting a rabbi who consults God and reports back.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is very much like the kind of jokes that Jewish people tell (I think I saw a variant of it in a book that was a salute to Yiddish). You can just hear the tone of God's voice, just like a couple of friends at the local temple complaining to each other about their problems. I thought it was pretty funny.

I think some people might be offended by the implication that Jesus had it all wrong and that God was disappointed in him, but for some reason that didn't bother me at all.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erm, I didn't find this one particularly funny because it seems to hinge on an understanding of Jesus's identity that I don't share. I don't consider him to be Christian, but Jewish. Perhaps a Jewish listener might think differently.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CatCov
Apprentice
# 9864

- Posted      Profile for CatCov   Author's homepage   Email CatCov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
It's better in the original lengthier form which features a Jewish businessman consulting a rabbi who consults God and reports back.

I agree. The repetition of "Your son!" is what sets up the punchline --- if telling this short version it almost seems that God should say something more.
Posts: 10 | From: Athens, GA, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The version I know is even longer. It has two Jewish friends realising that both their sons have become Christians. They go to see the rabbi, only to find he has the same problem, so all three go into the synagogue to ask God about it, and you can guess the rest. It's the build up and the repetition that make the punch-line really funny. You also need to be able to do a good Jewish accent to make it work.
Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one of the alternative versions we received, just for the record, sent to us by a chap called Lawrence...

quote:
Sarah met Rachel at the store. Rachel asked how Sarah was doing.

"Funny you should mention that. My only son, I wanted him to become a Rabbi, came to me last week and said he was going to become a Christian."

"Oh dear, What did you do?"

"I went to the Rabbi and said: 'My only son, I wanted him to become a Rabbi, came to me last week and said he was going to become a Christian.'"

"And the Rabbi said: 'Funny you should mention that. My only son, I wanted him to succeed me as Rabbi, came to me last week and said he was going to become a Christian.'"

"I asked the Rabbi what did he do. He said, 'I went into the synagogue and prayed: "Lord, Master of the Universe, what am I to do? My only son, I wanted him to succeed me as Rabbi, came to me last week and said he was going to become a Christian." Suddenly the building started shaking, there was thunder and lightning and this mighty voice boomed out: "Funny you should mention that..."'"

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first reaction was 'Wot's so effing funny?' Not having heard it firsthand from an old Jewish guy, I failed to see the humour, though I sort of got the point. Would that Lawrence's long version were the first one you posted, Simon!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite liked this, but I was hearing God with the Jewish mother voice so perhaps that's why...
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
Quite liked this, but I was hearing God with the Jewish mother voice so perhaps that's why...

We once had a vicar who could act.

At a Bible study or something he read Numbers 11 doing God and Moses in different Jewish accents.

When he got to Moses saying: "Am I their mother?" we were rolling in the aisles.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016