homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » John Paul II arrives in Heaven

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: John Paul II arrives in Heaven
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by Esmeralda:

Pope John Paul II gets to Heaven. St Peter says, "Frankly, you're lucky to be here."

JPII says, "Why? What did I do wrong on earth?"

St Peter: "God was very angry with your stance on women becoming priests."

JPII: "He's mad about THAT?"

St Peter: "She's furious."

[ 10. August 2005, 15:05: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 67 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gauk
Shipmate
# 1125

- Posted      Profile for Gauk     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many variants on this.

--------------------
Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence ... it is conceivable that someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence certainly never.

quantpole
Shipmate
# 8401

- Posted      Profile for quantpole   Email quantpole   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to make a point rather than trying to be funny. Not offensive.
Posts: 885 | From: Leeds | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Craigmaddie
c/o The Pickwick Club
# 8367

- Posted      Profile for Craigmaddie   Author's homepage   Email Craigmaddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's the first joke on this board that I've actually laughed out at. I likes it...

--------------------
Via Veritas Vita

Posts: 1093 | From: Scotchland, Europeshire | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is hilarious to me, who definitely think women can have a calling just as men can. The idea that JPII could get to heaven and find out that God Herself is a woman cracks me up. That the tables are turned on this man who in most other ways was saintly and devout is I think what makes it funny.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i've never seen this varient of this joke, but i can name several others that play on upsetting the expectation that god is male/white/straight/christian or etc. (the simplist being the buttons that say "god is coming, and boy is she pissed") its ok, but somehow to me seems to drawn out for the simplicity of the punchline. it should be snappier.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Lady of the Lake
Shipmate
# 4347

- Posted      Profile for The Lady of the Lake   Email The Lady of the Lake   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's alright, but only really funny if you tend to automatically see God as female. Most people don't.

--------------------
If I had a coat, I would get it.

Posts: 1272 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, no, I don't think so! I think God transcends gender, and found the joke amusing. But I will throw the odd 'She' around to be mischievous or provocative (I notice Mousethief does to [Biased] ): gives that little frisson of unpredictability, which is why this joke works I think.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016