homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Roadside witnessing

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Roadside witnessing
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by CatCov:

A priest and a pastor were standing by the side of the road with a sign reading, "THE END IS NEAR! Turn yourself around now before it's too late!"

"Leave us alone, you religious nuts!" a driver yelled, not even slowing down for the sharp turn in the road.

From around the curve, the two men of God heard screeching tires and a big splash.

The pastor turns to the priest and asks, "Do you think the sign should just say, "Bridge Out"?

[ 12. August 2005, 17:19: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 81 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one! I think this works because most of us, if we're honest would drive straight past a sign like that - if not yelling out the window, then we would at least ignore it. It reminds me of a cartoon where Tom and Jerry (or whoever) try to outfox and outwit each other, and I can just imagine one of them holding up such a sign in the sure and certain knowledge of the splash that is to follow [Snigger]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's lame. Not funny, not unrestful, it's overly artificial and convoluted.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Atmospheric Skull

Antlered Bone-Visage
# 4513

- Posted      Profile for Atmospheric Skull   Email Atmospheric Skull   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would work better as a sight gag. Describing it involves too many words, and loses all the punchiness.

--------------------
Surrealistic Mystic.

Posts: 371 | From: Bristol, UK | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It took me a few minutes to get this one. Partly because "Bridge Out" isn't something I've ever heard anyone say, and partly because it just seemed like a non sequitur when I had expected the characters to be giving the usual message about repentance. But I've got it now.

Funny? Er, no, sorry. Any joke you have to puzzle out for a while loses its impact and ceases to become funny, as does one that you've analysed.

Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this one is amusing, and says a lot about the place of religious opinion in the wider sociey. I like that the humour stems from society's perceptions of religious language, and also many christians' own inability to speak clearly.

The gag would have been improved by removing the explanatory line about the screech of tires and the splash so that it reads thus:

A priest and a pastor were standing by the side of the road with a sign reading, "THE END IS NEAR! Turn yourself around now before it's too late!"

"Leave us alone, you religious nuts!" a driver yelled, not even slowing down for the sharp turn in the road.

The pastor turns to the priest and asks, "Do you think the sign should just say, "Bridge Out"?

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Captain Kevo
Apprentice
# 9788

- Posted      Profile for Captain Kevo   Email Captain Kevo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never heard this one, and I might agree that the version without the splash and screech is better; however, isn't this sort of a sad commentary about our efforts to spread God to the world? How much of our message is ignored because of the language (physical and verbal) that we choose to employ? Now I've gone from amusing and offensive to convicting...tut..tut
Posts: 2 | From: Austin Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Procrastinus

Ship's Fortean
# 9915

- Posted      Profile for Procrastinus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would work better if it was pithier (is that a word ?). So their sign should just be 'The end is nigh' - then perhaps after it should be 'maybe we should get a better sign.'

Also, I agree, is a bit of a commentary on the effectiveness (or not) of button-holing people in the street to try and convert.

[ 07. August 2005, 08:44: Message edited by: Procrastinus ]

--------------------
Dare to be wise; begin.

Posts: 198 | From: Imaginary Future | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one made me laugh out loud all alone in the house. I think part of it depends on the way religious people are so often misunderstood, and also how a few Christians so often make the rest of us look bad. These two men of the cloth have a truly immediate and tangible danger to warn of, and the reputation of Christians, and especially of their leaders, is so bad with this man that he is not only sure their message is wrong, he is actually extremely rude about it.(I hope that's enough commas for everybody [Biased] ) Then he gets punished.

It reminds me of the one with the...no, it may come up later and I don't want to ruin it.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It got a snort from me. It made me think of a couple people I know who just cannot for the life of them turn off the christianese, and who (like the goofs in the joke) could not for the life of them understand why communication was so hard.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Halo
Shipmate
# 6933

- Posted      Profile for Halo   Email Halo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one made me laugh more than the others- I like the play on the way people tend to ignore cliched signs like that. Maybe I will listen next time I see one?
Posts: 625 | From: The Land of the Long White Cloud | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dubitante
Shipmate
# 10015

- Posted      Profile for Dubitante   Email Dubitante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do I submit religious jokes? I've got a couple that may cause the odd snort of laughter as well as a bit of offence.

--------------------
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Posts: 343 | From: London UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Dubitante; if I recall we are beyond the submissions date. I will check with Simon and let you know.

Later .......

As has been pointed out to me it says clearly at the top of this board that submissions are closed, sorry you missed it.

Pyx_e

Hosting

[ 19. August 2005, 21:46: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016