homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » Auction introduction and questions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Auction introduction and questions
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This week sees the signing-up of our 10,000th member. To celebrate the occasion, we're holding an online auction in aid of the Ship of Fools Organ Fund, which exists for shipmates to help keep the ship afloat.

The 10,000th member auction invites you to bid for 15 low and interesting membership numbers – this is the first time these numbers have become available since they were first registered.

The auction begins at 12 noon (UK time) on Thursday 18th August, and the bidding currency will be US dollars – click here for a currency converter. The rules and procedure for the auction will be posted here later today, but meanwhile, post any questions or comments on this thread.

Please note that all the numbers we're auctioning are drawn from our stock of memberships that have either never been used, or were only ever used for a handful of posts more than three years ago.

You are welcome to bid for the number of your choice, and if you're successful, your existing board identity will be moved across to your new number, complete with your name, your login details, signature and post count. You'll be able to keep your existing avatar and title, or choose a new set.

Please remember this is an auction in aid of the ship. Adventurous bids welcome!

[ 17. August 2005, 15:44: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had guessed at some of the numbers that might be auctioned, but 1662 wasn't one of them. [Smile]

Will there be any trans-atlantic rivalry (in the very friendliest manner) between 1066 and 1776? Somehow I think the latter is likely to prove more popular.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having looked at the categories, and done a quick search, 1492 belongs to someone with 0 posts and 911 to someone with about 5 (since 2001)... Unless you're afraid of flooding the market?

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess they've got to keep a few back for when the 20,000th member registers...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We considered 1492, and quite a few other dates, but these are the five we're putting up for the foreseeable future. Thanks for 911, though -- hadn't thought of that.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
777 - my favourite airplane! Must count out my pennies, ready for tomorrow!

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm.... auctioning 911 - a bit tasteless?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:
Hmmmm.... auctioning 911 - a bit tasteless?

They were no worse than Take That really.

I think if 999 is up for grabs it's only right that we have 911 too.

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
911 is what you dial in an emergency in the US, Qlib. We say "nine one one" and write "911" for that and "nine eleven" and write "9/11" to refer to September 11, 2001--so no, not tasteless at all.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How will the auction run? will we see others' bids on the thread? will the flood control be disabled on this forum to enable quick bidding? How long will the auction last?

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Patience, dear Matrix. I'll be posting the procedure for all this shortly, which will answer your questions and lots more besides.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very fun stuff here.

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can a winner submit an animated .GIF for their avatar, Simon?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:

The 10,000th member auction invites you to bid for 15 low and interesting membership numbers – this is the first time these numbers have become available since they were first registered.

The auction begins at 12 noon (UK time) on Thursday 18th August, and the bidding currency will be US dollars – click here for a currency converter. The rules and procedure for the auction will be posted here later today, but meanwhile, post any questions or comments on this thread.

Please note that all the numbers we're auctioning are drawn from our stock of memberships that have either never been used, or were only ever used for a handful of posts more than three years ago.

Um it was May 2001. My brain is sore but isnt it 4 years?

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bronwyn:
quote:

...Please note that all the numbers we're auctioning are drawn from our stock of memberships that have either never been used, or were only ever used for a handful of posts more than three years ago.

Um it was May 2001. My brain is sore but isnt it 4 years?
Which is more than 3 years! [Biased]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Some of the registrations date from later in 2001, which is why I've said "more than three years ago". The criterion for this auction was that we wouldn't auction anything less than three years old.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
911 makes me think of Porsche sports cars rather than anything else, but I'm just a petrolhead... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

IIRC, this was discussed some time ago and only Simon is entitled to an animated avatar.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:

I'm afraid not, Gort. But stay tuned... we should have some news on that subject in September.

--------------------
Eternal memory

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:
911 makes me think of Porsche sports cars rather than anything else, but I'm just a petrolhead... [Big Grin]

You and me both, amigo. Especially since I'm trying to obtain one of said Porsches.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you get the avatar the number is shown with, if you like it?

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How will Shipmates whose currency is not US dollars be able to pay?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
Do you get the avatar the number is shown with, if you like it?

Yes. There are three options here, actually. You can keep the avatar, or you can move in your existing avatar, or you can send us a new avatar of your choice.
quote:
Originally posted by anglicanrascal:

We'll look at the exchange rate on the day the auction closes and quote the winning figure in UK pounds, or Australian, Canadian or New Zealand dollars then.

--------------------
Eternal memory

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like you could also auction 411 if you wanted, and 0800 ("I'm free!") and 192 (though the latter doesn't have quite the associations that 411 has, and even less so now we've got 118 - which no-one can remember, but which is also available).

OK, I'll stop now. I'm getting number-fixated [Paranoid] .

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
OK, I'll stop now. I'm getting number-fixated [Paranoid] .

Careful, or you'll become 404 - an error message.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
anglicanrascal
Shipmate
# 3412

- Posted      Profile for anglicanrascal   Email anglicanrascal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

We'll look at the exchange rate on the day the auction closes and quote the winning figure in UK pounds, or Australian, Canadian or New Zealand dollars then. [/QB]
Cool - that bit I understand. How exactly will we be able to pay?
Posts: 3186 | From: Diocese of Litigalia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How exactly will we be able to pay?

I suspect the same way you're currently able to support the Ship through the Organ Fund. Follow the Organ Fund link on the side menu and you'll find a way of giving to the Ship in several currencies.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect most people reading this will have access to the internet. Some of you may even bank online. If you are not entering the auction (or enter but are priced out of the mumber market by all these highly waged gits) why not set up a small monthly standing order? Say the price of a couple of pints or cake. You will not miss it, and over a year it adds up to the cheapest cost per hour of just pure fun you will see this side of the pearly gates.

Go on what is a couple of quid/dollars an month?

You know you want to.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

quote:
How exactly will we be able to pay?

We'll be opening a special online payments page a couple of days before the end of the auction. It'll all be clearly signposted. People will be able to pay online (credit card) or via a cheque/check in the post.

--------------------
Eternal memory

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we bid for a number to put it out of use? Say, for, 1966? Or if you win a bid do you have to adopt the number?

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
Can we bid for a number to put it out of use? Say, for, 1966? Or if you win a bid do you have to adopt the number?

Just picked a number off the top of your head eh Strath? [Snigger]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bonaventura*
Shipmate
# 5561

- Posted      Profile for Bonaventura*   Email Bonaventura*   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too bad that 1204 is not available, otherwise it could have been sold to either Fr. Gregory or Mousethief [Two face]

--------------------
So lovers of wine drink up! The Beloved has lifted his red glass. And paradise cannot be, now, far away. -Hafëz

Posts: 252 | From: Et in Arcadia requiesco | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or 1054. [Big Grin]

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Aren't they selling the year that Scotland won?

oh...sorry...

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Aren't they selling the year that Scotland won?

1967 would have been eligible, but it isn't one of the lots.

--------------------
V V Rozanov

Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No doubt Strathclydezero would want 1967, M...

[Roll Eyes]

(crossposted with Strathclydezero - I wasn't wrong was I?)

[ 18. August 2005, 14:59: Message edited by: Ancient Mariner ]

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about considering a thread for people to request specific numbers? There may be some more that you could make available. (I.e., I checked my birth year, and it's a very, very, very old number with only two posts.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

Keeping the list of numbers short concentrates the bidding. Less numbers with higher bids makes for less work than more numbers just over the reserve. [Biased]

--------------------
V V Rozanov

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
True. Maybe their could be a post-auction auction. [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want 1977, if I don't get 37.

(which I won't)

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Grits... we won't be expanding this auction, but if it's successful, we might consider something to follow it. Let's see how this one goes first.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonaventura:
Too bad that 1204 is not available, otherwise it could have been sold to either Fr. Gregory or Mousethief [Two face]

Whew! A near miss for me.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having won (which I'm sure I will because dead rock stars have such an infinite and therfore inflated supply of do re me) can I donate my win to a ship (and pillow) mate?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grits
# 4169

Yes, I'd also like to know if we can bid on a number, and then give it to someone else if we win.

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon implies here (not sure how to take the question mark) that it would be possible to transfer one's winning bid to another shipmate/person as a gift.

ETA: Though perhaps only in the situation where one person won two numbers. Obviously Simon will have the final say on this.

[ 18. August 2005, 22:17: Message edited by: jlg ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

My question still lies open too ...

--------------------
V V Rozanov

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

And Simon, while you're pondering that, think also if you would accept more than one source of payment for a winning bid?

Grits' question made me think that some of us aren't actually seriously in pursuit a new number, but would be happy to throw in something in favor of a fellow shipmate. If this were allowed, it would be easier (and more reliable) if payments could be made directly.

-------

OK, having thought a bit more about this, it makes the whole process much more complicated. But perhaps an idea for a future auction?

Simon

Editor
# 1

quote:

If you win, no one is going to make you use the number as your identity.
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
... can I donate my win to a ship (and pillow) mate?

Yes. The person you donate it to will then have the same luxury treatment, e.g. choosing a custom avatar and title for their new identity, etc.
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
And Simon, while you're pondering that, think also if you would accept more than one source of payment for a winning bid?

If you mean a group of shipmates forming a syndicate so they can bid collectively, then I think that's worth considering. I guess people might want to form syndicates for several reasons: for the fun of staying in the bidding wars; to win a number for another shipmate; to win a number and decide later which syndicate member gets to keep the number. Since this is a fundraiser for the ship, all of that sounds healthy for the auction... but what do people think?

Maybe some shipmates are already doing this!

--------------------
Eternal memory

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

We are hearing tales of financial woe from shipmates who have reached their dollar limits (or had such a low limit as to have never been in the running).

On the other hand, we have shipmates throwing large sums around quite casually. I don't know what Sine is using, but I'm blowing off bits of inherited money that should have cushioned my senile years but will probably be devastated by my kids' college tuition.

Would it be possible to have a thread where the poor but worthy high-number shipmates could grovel, beg, blackmail, and otherwise attempt to strike deals with those of us with a bit of disposable income? I'm sure it would become quite, um, interesting. And so much easier than actually organizing a private behind-the-scenes consortium.

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
On the other hand, we have shipmates throwing large sums around quite casually. I don't know what Sine is using, but I'm blowing off bits of inherited money

Me??? What about Chapelhead?

But, as to "large sums" of money - this is just me, of course - but I feel I should give the Ship monthly what I give my church weekly. That's what it means to me. And through laziness I haven't done that in quite a while.

So I'm trying to pay up my arrears. If I get a fun new number, that's great. The Ship will get the money regardless.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016