homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now the little beggars are scrapping for 333. Don't they realize it's half of 666?

BTW,

4-1=3
1+2=3
4-2+1=3

Got you covered.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure Sine can afford 21. Sine doesn't blow his money on electronics and software the way the IT guys do.

Jedijudy, you are not alone in the way you get your kicks--I love having 13 as my member number, not so much because it's supposed to be bad luck as because it's one of my favorite prime numbers. I am looking forward to turning 43 in a few months, too.

{crosspost clarificaiton}

[ 18. August 2005, 15:46: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Sis...unfortunately I have to go to Job #2 now. Take good care of "our" 333! [Cool]

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
it's one of my favorite prime numbers.

You have a list?
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When does the bidding end?

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
quote:
it's one of my favorite prime numbers.

You have a list?
Well, not written out anywhere ...
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:

12 noon on 2nd sept

[ETA - you can have the number now, i'm off home from work and thus all bidding over with for me today. I suspect that the penut gallery will be the only place for me to be by tomorrow!]

J

[ 18. August 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: Jenny Ann ]

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Well, Sis...unfortunately I have to go to Job #2 now. Take good care of "our" 333! [Cool]

Watch the bidding and weep [Razz]

<I won't tell any of the shipmates about your lottery win, your secret is still safe with me>

[ 18. August 2005, 15:49: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ruth, 13 is my very favoritest number! I turned 13 y-o on Friday the 13th of a particular year long, long ago!

--------------------

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
quote:

12 noon on 2nd sept
Bugger. [Frown]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:

I'm tempted to raise that one to $50 just to annoy you both [Snigger]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

# 1059

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
quote:

[Disappointed] And I thought this was a Christian website.

--------------------

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Ruth, 13 is my very favoritest number! I turned 13 y-o on Friday the 13th of a particular year long, long ago!

1913?

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
quote:

12 noon on 2nd sept

[ETA - you can have the number now, i'm off home from work and thus all bidding over with for me today. I suspect that the penut gallery will be the only place for me to be by tomorrow!]

J

Me too. tbh.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:

I dare you

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Sure Sine can afford 21. Sine doesn't blow his money on electronics and software the way the IT guys do.

I bet Sine is loaded. [Frown]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
Yeeeesss, iGeek! Strike a blow for Project Mgt Consultants everywhere!!

Sine, you can't touch IT consulting money. You just can't.

I may be extravagant but I'm not foolish. After all, I can't wear my two-digit SoF membership number. The New Fall Fashions are starting to hit the stores. One must be sensible, comparatively speaking.
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right then, we know what Sine's limit is [Razz]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fen Church
Shipmate
# 9899

- Posted      Profile for Fen Church   Email Fen Church   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, but if he wasn't foolish, what was he doing bidding so much on day one?

--------------------
"I always thought God was just for athletes and Grammy winners, but he's there for me too." - Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 257 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

I note that #1977 has only 24 posts......

My birth year. [Axe murder]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

E-bay is fun. I got Metallica's first album on mint vinyl for 1 pence the other day. [Yipee]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I can't wear my two-digit SoF membership number.

I'm not so sure. What about two earrings, tasteful posts, one for each digit? They could be worn together on one lobe, or split onto each lobe.

Might I add that a racy, asymmetric configuration could be made of "1" on one ear for "unity" or "I'm number 1" and "42" on the other for the answer to "life, the universe and everything" in Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

I tell you I'm really liking my number, even though it is only a low triple. TBH, I think of it as "-142" because I posted on the old board. But I keep that proud secret in my heart. Except for special occasions.

God do I really have to count cells today? [Waterworks]

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

1913?

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I bet Sine is loaded. [Frown]
Not for ages now.

P

--------------------

strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
quote:

1913?

P

Catch up Pyx_e!

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You people just do not recognize the benevolent spirit which lurks beneath Sine's sometimes seemingly bourgeois exterior.

The man knows his drawing power. He's a trend-setter. He starts the bidding -- even on the first day -- on a certain number, and its' value skyrockets, along with the ensuing bids. You know: "If Sine wants it, it must be a fabulous number!"

Sine likes to promote the Ship. Sine likes to see others give who may not ordinarily give (which he does, BTW). Therefore, Sine sees the auction as a way to use his powers for good. He is nothing if not philanthropic.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Yeah, right. [Razz]

I have nothing against Sine, but I was hoping that us skint people would be allowed a few days grace before getting priced out of the market.

Some hopes.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Grits
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you can always flaunt your youth at us. That's good payback. [Big Grin]

Honestly, though, this IS a fundraiser, and I guess them with the most funds wins. Besides, I think our numbers are just fine, Papio. We'll just consider the 4000s the new 20s.

(1977 was a good year -- my college graduation and wedding date. Your birthdate, I'll bet. Oy.)

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

I came into the world on the 12th January 1977, in the evening. So I am told. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
You people just do not recognize the benevolent spirit which lurks beneath Sine's sometimes seemingly bourgeois exterior.

I was going to take offense at "bourgeois" but then decided I was lucky you hadn't said "boorish".

quote:
Sine likes to see others give who may not ordinarily give (which he does, BTW).
Uhm...actually...I've fallen behind in my giving, due to general laziness in writing a check and finding a stamp. So I've really a moral debt I need to pay the Ship. But yes, that does perhaps give me an advantage in this auction since I've already got a sum in mind that I feel I "owe" the Ship. And I'll get a lovely new number too. So much more appealing than the coffee mug and Connie Francis CD I could have gotten had I donated to the local public television station's fundraiser.

quote:
He is nothing if not philanthropic.
So true. I'm even trying to arrange to adopt a 25 year old Rumanian orphan. Gymnast preferred. It's the least I can do.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

Face it, Sine. Very few people on the ship, besides yourself, are fit for cultured society. [Razz]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Grits
# 4169

quote:
I was going to take offense at "bourgeois" but then decided I was lucky you hadn't said "boorish".
But look at how I qualified it! Not just "sometimes" but "seemingly", as well. Besides, I wasn't referring to the "middle class" aspect of bourgeois, but to the "concerned about the materialistic and respectibility" aspect of it.
quote:
Uhm...actually...I've fallen behind in my giving...
Well, now we know why we're having to do a fundraiser.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another 13 fan here. But I don't begrudge you, Ruth.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also like 13. I've always felt it was bad luck to be superstitious.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always loved thirteen, too. It was the wedding date of my first marriage and that turned out pretty well for over 30 years.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Watching the auction proceedings is addictive and like watching a train wreck or fire - you just can't take your eyes of of it for fear of missing something. [Eek!]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
13 is, of course, 31 spelt backwards.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

You wish. [Razz]

OK, here's a newbie quickly getting with the program -- first post on the Ship is a bid for #1662!

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

I think it is just another ploy from undertow to get a mate, trying to impress with low numbers, tsk. As if.

P

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah! Very soon all you antipodeans (because the continental arctic is really the top of the world [Snigger] [of which the Carpenters sang so soulfully [Roll Eyes] ]) will be ging to bed and we of the South can gazump the lot of yez. I've already had a practice run gazumping Cranmer's Baggage for a # she considered rightly hers [Disappointed] but that was only in-hemisphere warm-ups. [Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
(1977 was a good year -- my college graduation and wedding date. Your birthdate, I'll bet. Oy.)

It's a year too early for mine [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
I think it is just another ploy from undertow to get a mate, trying to impress with low numbers, tsk.

Could very well be, Pyx_e--lists favorite board as episcopalsingles.org.

Highest bids total right now: $777. Off to a nice start. [Smile]

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I can't believe people who already have 2-digit numbers are bidding. Seems almost ungrateful [Razz]

[ 18. August 2005, 22:52: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Grits
# 4169

Just remember, Marvin -- the 4000s rock. And when everyone else has bought a lower number, it will just be me, you and Papio and the 4000s will rule!

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carys:
quote:
Just wondering why Sister Dolphy bid on a higher number than she now possesses? [Biased]

[qb]I was wondering that about Curious who is bidding for 777 despite having a two digit number (93) already!

Curious indeed!

Carys (who is perfectly content to remain number 78!)

I think we are not obliged to transfer to the new number, but I have asked on the question thread for clarification.

You could have your special number and pull it out occasionally to gaze at it and pet it and bask in the happy glow that it is All Yours!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I PM'd Corpus Cani yesterday to alert him to the sale of 1662, he was very sad not to get it when he joined up - iirc, he had been holding off his membership in order to get it, but someone snuck in and nicked it off him and he had to be content with 1663.

Sadly, most things in life are flawed. Born Looser

(He hasn't read the PM yet)

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!] 21 is up to $275! Hell, I'll sell my number for that!

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

For #2, you should hold out at least for enough money to go on a good vacation, complete with Raoul the pool boy painting your toe-nails.
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I can withdraw my last bid for #21, I'll deposit $300 in the Ship's account right now for #2. [Devil]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
tick... tick... tick...

[examines fingernails while whistling softly to self] [Biased]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016