homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is what we want, proper rivalry for some of the numbers. [Snigger]

And there's still one double-digit number that's at less than a hundred bucks.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
I never realised that Sine was the genius behind the auction.

No, my dear. I wish I could take the credit, but I can't. However it's a brilliant one and I certainly want to support it to the best of my ability.

In fact, I dare say those with low numbers who didn't buy them will soon be regarded as slackers and leeches. The shame will doubtlessly make them publish their financial records to prove they have in fact supported the Ship.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the Ship's full support. I bought it in the Gadgets for God's Vicars section 5 years ago and it has done me sterling service.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:

Actually, there are two double-digits for under a hundred.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
quote:

Actually, there are two double-digits for under a hundred.
And ain't they bargains.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
In fact, I dare say those with low numbers who didn't buy them will soon be regarded as slackers and leeches. The shame will doubtlessly make them publish their financial records to prove they have in fact supported the Ship.

Balls to that. I have analysed your number of 3631 and it adds up to 13.

Come to think of it, so does mine. I think we should form a small select group of Thirteenites, with 13 members, or possibly a new religion. What do you think?

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would we get our own planet after we die? I've always wanted my own planet, although some say I've already got my own universe.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why not. I'll have a look and see if there might be one going on eBay that might suit. They seem to have pretty well everything else on there.
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of Ebay... Everyone knows the real action starts in the last two minutes. I'll bet some of the winners only bid once. [Snigger]

Sine is no doubt polishing his sniperscope, even as we speak.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Speaking of Ebay... Everyone knows the real action starts in the last two minutes. I'll bet some of the winners only bid once.

Will it be an early morning or a late night for west coast USAers?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Then count me in. Still want a two-digit number though. They're this season's Must Have item on the Ship.

[Responding to Ariel.]

[ 20. August 2005, 16:33: Message edited by: Sine Nomine ]

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, now I'm thinking that I may be out of town that day ... serious bummer.

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

GMT minus 8:00

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Grits: We'll just consider the 4000s the new 20s.
The 3000s make the 4000s look like the 7000s [Razz]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
quote:

GMT minus 8:00
So as we're on BST (GMT+1) the auction will finish at 3am on the west coast?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Then count me in. Still want a two-digit number though. They're this season's Must Have item on the Ship.

I've got one, but that means I'll be unfashionable by Christmas.

I just googled for "58". I get an American highway, an EC directive, the 4th longest space mission program, and the 58 signs of abduction by aliens. A good thing Simon didn't put this one up for auction, he'd have had a hell of a job trying to make this number an attractive prospect.

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Hmmm.. 12:00 minus 8:00... hold on while I get out my calculator.

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Hmmm.. 12:00 minus 8:00... hold on while I get out my calculator.

And turn up an hour late. [Biased]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a snicker from IngoB's (lot 95) offer to buy Luther out of Purgatory.

I'm sure the residents of Purgatory would thank you, dude. [Snigger]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I have just priced '619' on the net, and I learn that the price will be 'at least $750 and may be over $10,000'.

So bid your petty hundreds, I am obviously sitting on the Monaco of numbers.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Is that sort of like being "land poor"?
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it also reads the same upside down and right side up.

And 6+1+9 = 16, 1+6 = 7!

Cool or what.

Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Speaking of Ebay... Everyone knows the real action starts in the last two minutes. I'll bet some of the winners only bid once. [Snigger]

Sine is no doubt polishing his sniperscope, even as we speak.

I wait till the last couple of minutes of an e-bay auction and then bid. Once.

Nearly always "win" and get the book or CD. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't count on that method in this case Papio..... [Devil]

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Oh, it also reads the same upside down and right side up.

I'm glad it's only the cats watching me look at the computer screen with my head upside down, but by golly, you're right. I'll give you $35.00 for it.
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Well, I have just priced '619' on the net

How did you do that? I want to find out what 58 is worth.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Geo:
I wouldn't count on that method in this case Papio..... [Devil]

I'm not. [Razz]

I have already been priced out of the market in this auction. [Frown]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
You need to insult people back and forth, like IngoB is doing.

Which sort of begs the question as to how insulting we can be.
We'd like this to be fun. The 10 Commandments apply here, so no personal attacks. But if it's clearly all in fun, it's fine. If in doubt about how a bantering insult will be taken, you can always check with your competitor via PM.

Auctioneer

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
I think we should form a small select group of Thirteenites, with 13 members, or possibly a new religion. What do you think?

I am available for your worship and adoration.

[ 20. August 2005, 18:44: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

Do you like raisin cakes?
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately, no. I don't like raisins in things--cakes, cookies, danish, whatever. I'll eat them straight out of the box, though.

But I don't much like communion wafers either, and I choke one of those down every Sunday. So I guess it doesn't matter.

[ 20. August 2005, 18:50: Message edited by: RuthW ]

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

I believe there is a schismatic branch of Thirteenites who eat them straight out of the box, but the True Thirteenites only have them in cakes.
RuthW

# 13

Yeah, but God doesn't take communion, does She?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
I think we should form a small select group of Thirteenites, with 13 members, or possibly a new religion. What do you think?

I am available for your worship and adoration.
Not with that avatar you're not.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts [on a bidding thread]:
I never did understand exchange rates... $72 is only about the price of a pint, right?

Yes, a US dollar is only worth about thruppence ha'penny, so get your cash out, folks.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Splendid. Maybe I can afford to be bidding on no.21 then! [Snigger]

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
Splendid. Maybe I can afford to be bidding on no.21 then! [Snigger]

Come on and try it, if you're willing to pay up.

All in a good cause.

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

Dear Shipmates,

First, I'd like to congratulate whomever thought of this fun way to get us off our derrieres and contribute to the ship. However, I've worked myself into a bit of a quandry over The Plan™. As the bidding has unfolded, I see several shipmates 'throwing in their cards' and abandoning the process for budget reasons.

In spite of the fact that I've acted the fool and put on airs implying unlimited disposable income, I am in fact a simple working class bloke with a budget like everyone else. My "big-ass Lincoln" is 19 years old, for pity's sake, and I'm trying to get my 33 year old Saab back on the road, since gas prices have sky-rocketed.

Anyway, the point is that I honestly don't care about a new registration number but jumped into the fray because it reminded me that I've only contributed to my favorite website twice in the last year and I'm a lazy sod. One way or another, I'm going to go ahead and contribute the amount that I've set as a maximum for my bidding. However, by continuing to bid I may be driving off others who would enjoy having a low reg number but may get discouraged and decide not to contribute if they can't win. Of course it's the individual's decision whether to go ahead contribute or not. I do value these forums for the introspection they've caused, in spite of my jokester habits and inability to contribute much meaningful debate.

So, here's my question: Should I go ahead and play the game, win a number and ease my guilt by donating it to someone who would appreciate it? Or let the bids rise past mine, back out and just contribute my maximum? Another option: Maybe buy a banner ad for the SoF front page with a graphic of Gort with a mechanical razz?

I know I'm probably making mountains out of molehills, but indulge me if you will.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you should buy it and use it, if you can. I think shipmates who have folded, will get later options (in which we may persuade Simon to act in a differently foolish manner). Plus, as you say the auction has raised the profile of the Organ Fund more than anything else that has ever happened on the Ship, and it is good fun. Way to go.

And I have pages of jibes already written for those who whore themselves in to double figures. Trying to then palm off that ribbing on some poor unsuspecting noob is just plain weak.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Flausa and IngoB's banter make the 'fight for 95' the only auction thread worth reading.

Well, if you want to help the banter continue, you could always PM with a dollar amount that you'd be willing to chip in. All for the Ship's cause, of course. [Big Grin]
Indeed, Rome's war chest is also empty. Shouldn't have used marble and platinum for the St Peter's toilet fixtures, I guess... [Waterworks]

quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I got a snicker from IngoB's (lot 95) offer to buy Luther out of Purgatory. I'm sure the residents of Purgatory would thank you, dude. [Snigger]

Sorry, looks like he will have to roast a little longer. At least Calvin won't be feeling lonely. (Zwingli is in Hell, of course.) [Biased]

Gort, simply put down your cash on the least wanted number (probably still 1966?).

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Based on projected behaviour and past pledges of the participants, the word from the Coot is that #1662 is the number to watch.

Even if Corpus Canii doesn't show.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I've heard that three-digit is the new two-digit.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
I've heard that three-digit is the new two-digit.

Yeah, and 953 is the ISBN identifier for books published in Croatia. Are sure you don't want a new number?

At least 1143 is the year Portugal was founded, and event I find most pleasing to celebrate regularly. Hic!

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:

So, here's my question: Should I go ahead and play the game, win a number and ease my guilt by donating it to someone who would appreciate it? Or let the bids rise past mine, back out and just contribute my maximum?

If we’re in confession mode I’d have to admit that I’m rather attached to my number, and I’m not sure I want to change it. But this auction is a great fund-raiser and, perhaps more importantly, a great way to raise the profile of the organ fund.

The question of how people are going to react who can’t, for one reason or another, participate is a fair one. But I figure that if I spend my time worrying that “if I write about X then person A, who has an issue with it, will get offended” then there’s not going to be much left to say. And, in the end, they’re just numbers; there’s no-one here whose going to really suffer over not having a particular membership number.

I’m not rich, but I am (DG) in the “Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen six, result happiness” category, as Dickens put it. I can make bids, but if I win a number and thought that someone else had a really good reason for having it, then I would donate it. But they’re just numbers.

It’s also good to see that the number with (easily) the largest number of bids is still only at $60. Perhaps one lesson from this, for anyone thinking of having an auction, is that if you want the maximum fun and participation, but not necessarily the maximum money, require bids to be in $1 increments.

quote:

Another option: Maybe buy a banner ad for the SoF front page with a graphic of Gort with a mechanical razz?

Please don’t, or I’ll have to start surfing the web with images turned off. I think your profile should come with some sort of a warning as it is, especially for people who might view it early in the morning. [Eek!]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

You're completely missing my point which is:
quote:
...by continuing to bid I may be driving off others who would enjoy having a low reg number but may get discouraged and decide not to contribute if they can't win.
Awww.. did my little profile pic offend you? [Killing me]

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
...by continuing to bid I may be driving off others who would enjoy having a low reg number but may get discouraged and decide not to contribute if they can't win.

Which is my "If I do A then someone might...." point.

If you bid, someone else might not contribute and the fund gets less money. Or if you bid then someone else might bid more and the fund gets more money (yours, donated, and their high bid). You can't second guess everyone on the Ship.

quote:
Speaking of Ebay... Everyone knows the real action starts in the last two minutes. I'll bet some of the winners only bid once.

Yes, and they might win, but where's the fun, where's the banter?

And now, after the navel-gazing, back to the action...

Just $60 for 1066 and the chance for a perpetual reminder of the last time the French stuffed the English.

And only $120 for Luther's 95 theses- the whole future of western Christianity is hanging in the balance here. Surely someone can flog a few indulgences and get into the action?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
quote:
Well, I have just priced '619' on the net

How did you do that? I want to find out what 58 is worth.
It was the '619.net' domain. There is a 58.net available for lease or sale, but they're not putting numbers on it.

[ 21. August 2005, 08:48: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

That doesn't surprise me. After some googling, I have to say I think 58 is probably the most boring number on the boards. My most exciting historical event is the death of a fig tree, and I don't even have an interesting entry in the periodic table or an ISBN prefix.

I think if I ever sell this it will have to be either on the strength of its boringness, or else fall back on its being a two-digit number.

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
According to Wikipedia:

quote:
Fifty-eight is the sum of the first seven prime numbers, an 11-gonal number, and a Smith number. Given 58, the Mertens function returns 0. There is no answer to the equation x - φ(x) = 58, making 58 a noncototient.
Not a clue what most of that means, but it sounds interesting.

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pânts*

Ship's underwear
# 4487

- Posted      Profile for Pânts*   Author's homepage   Email Pânts*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4487 is an object somewhere in space called Pocahontas. How cool??!! [Cool]

And I agree with Gort, I think those who are priced out should consider giving that (or something) amount anyway!

--------------------
I'm not here any more. Dial 999 to get me. (No. Please don't really. Bit you could PM me on my new number cos I never get PMs!)

Posts: 8380 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016