homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have stopped bidding for the very simple reason that I oughtn't to place bids if I haven't got the money to pay that amount should I win.

Was genuinely fun to bid a few times, but I never expected to win anything and I'm not that bothered. But people who can not contribute for financial reasons, can not contribute for financial reasons. Our loss.

The point is to raise money for the ship, not to give each shipmate an equal chance of winning. Some may have a very good chance of winning a number, others have none. Oh well.

BTW Gort - I like your profile picture. [Big Grin]
And if you win a number, do what thou wilt with it. Have fun bidding, but don't stay up all night feeling guilty about pricing others out of the market. That's life.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
A good thing Simon didn't put this one up for auction, he'd have had a hell of a job trying to make this number an attractive prospect.

Ariel, at 9561 posts there's not much chance of that - you're number is almost as safe as mine! [Cool]
(Not quite a 13 but I could start a rival 14 club.....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:

BTW Gort - I like your profile picture. [Big Grin]
And if you win a number, do what thou wilt with it. Have fun bidding, but don't stay up all night feeling guilty about pricing others out of the market. That's life.

Hell yeah! What he said!

When I first saw the auction come up I thought it was hilarious, like the In-Joke That Ate Tokyo.I never intended to join in, but I though it was a brilliant joke and a clever idea for a fundraiser.

But like Papio said, I sure as heck ain't gonna lose sleep over the thought of numerical Have-or-Have-Nots. It's just a game--hopefully a game that will prove lucrative for the Ship, but still a game. Have fun with it.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, you're right. Nevermind. I was just having pangs of guilt for competing against me shippies with a wallet.

[frayed as it is]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the other hand, if Shippie Mort (number never used) could be convinced to give up #222, I might think about playing...

Anybody remember that TV show. Room 222?

(Begins whistling maddeningly catchy theme song...)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
222 would be such a cool number! (I'm trying to remember the address on the invitation in the movie "Murder By Death"...22 Twain???)

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Every time I see that number anywhere some weird interior tape deck switches on and plays that goofy, jazz-flute theme song. May as well put my pathology to use.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what gives? No one bids on Sundays?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've actually been thinking it would be cooler to have a "famous date" rather than a low number.
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your birthdate's not available.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
I've actually been thinking it would be cooler to have a "famous date" rather than a low number.

Is 1966 big in the USA? The Met opened in New York, could you do something with that?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, who might the famous date be?

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Dude, you have had dozens of famous dates.

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

Tennessee Williams, I guess. But it was a long time ago, and I wouldn't exactly call it a date. More like being groped by a drunken famous author in an elevator.
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Is 1966 big in the USA? The Met opened in New York, could you do something with that?

Should it be? I am at a loss to why 1966 is of any major significance. Was that the date of the first Super Bowl or sumfin'?

[spellin']

[ 22. August 2005, 02:21: Message edited by: Campbellite ]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember 1966 for the Beach Boys song "Good Vibrations."

Some suggestions for future number auctions:

Guns/Rifles:

12, 16, 20 (guage shotguns)
32 (.32 caliber pistol)
38 (.38 caliber Police special)
357 (.357 Magnum)
44 (Colt 44: Here lies Les Moore, four shots from a 44. No Les. No more.)
45 (Colt 45: Won the West)
3006 (Thirty Aught Six, 30.06 caliber high powered rifle)

V-8 Car Engines

289 (Ford Mustang, Cobra)
302 ("The Boss")
318 (Chrysler workhorse)
327 (Chevy small block)
383 (Road Runner plant)
396 (Chevelle Super Sport)
409 (Olds Aluminum--She's Real Fine My 4-0-9)
426 (Chrysler Hemi Head)
427 (GM and Ford big block)

Airplanes

29 (B-29)
51 (P51 Mustang)
52 (B-52)
105 (F-105 Voodoo)

Any number series popular with the ladies?

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ann:

Tennessee Williams, I guess. But it was a long time ago, and I wouldn't exactly call it a date. More like being groped by a drunken famous author in an elevator.
My name is Laura, and I am a "square".

But about 16 years ago, a friend and I had cocktails and dinner for three hours with Timothy Leary who was in town for a lecture, and old Timothy asked me to go back to his suite. I didn't go, because I was seeing someone and cheating didn't seem right. Also, I was a nascent square then, too, though I didn't realize it.

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

Should it be? I am at a loss to why 1966 is of any major significance. Was that the date of the first Super Bowl or sumfin'?

[spellin']

In 1966 England won the World Cup. An Australian ended up with this number--surely some fine English football fan wants to bring this number home!
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auctioneer:
...surely some fine English football fan...

Shouldn't that be "rabid" English football fan?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying not to insult the paying customers. At least, not too much.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, and 953 is the ISBN identifier for books published in Croatia. Are sure you don't want a new number?

One of us needs a hobby. Croatia, huh? Could be worse, I suppose.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Not Too Bad
Shipmate
# 8770

- Posted      Profile for Not Too Bad   Email Not Too Bad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I still can't get my head around the members bidding for higher numbers than they already hold. *scratches head* [Confused]

--------------------
Suppose we have only dreamed and made up these things like sun, sky, stars, and moon, and Aslan himself. In that case, it seems to me that the made-up things are a good deal better than the real ones

Posts: 779 | From: Norfolk | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sine Nomine*

# 3631

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
I didn't go, because I was seeing someone and cheating didn't seem right. Also, I was a nascent square then, too, though I didn't realize it.

The first step is admitting your squareness. Now you have to turn your will and your life over to the Ship.

No wait. You've already done that.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1966 is the (official) year of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution. Comrade.

(Of course its dynamics had been simmering along since the early 60s)

Also the Chinese astrological year of the horse. Fire horse, in fact.

[ETA: Also the year of decimalisation in Oz. In with the dollars and cents. Out with the pounds shillings and pence.]

[ 22. August 2005, 10:47: Message edited by: The Coot ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
One of us needs a hobby. Croatia, huh? Could be worse, I suppose.

Worse than collecting ISBNs? Like, posting in Ecclesiantics? [Biased]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over £1500 so far, wow, this hosts meal is going to be quite something...

Neil

Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...Dollars I mean...
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Not Too Bad:
I still can't get my head around the members bidding for higher numbers than they already hold. *scratches head* [Confused]

Ah, well, you see it's not just the lowness of the number which is important, it's the all round niceness. I mean, what kind of panache has 1244 got?
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
quote:
Originally posted by Not Too Bad:

Ah, well, you see it's not just the lowness of the number which is important, it's the all round niceness. I mean, what kind of panache has 1244 got?
It's a great number, I use it as my PIN 1n fact...

Oh shit.

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice one Neil [Biased]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(sorry for double post)

Keep your eyes on 95...

Looks like 'Floosie' might have to sell her stamp collection at this rate [Two face]

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Coot:
1966 is the (official) year of the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution. Comrade.

I knew that date sounded familiar for some reason.

England won a football game? [Eek!]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
England won a football game? [Eek!]

Oi! Wotch it, soupie!

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I knew that date sounded familiar for some reason. England won a football game? [Eek!]

Of course not. The English are good at inventing games like football and cricket, but they can't play them. They are sport theoreticians... [Big Grin]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1984 is a nice number! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

I wish IngoB good luck with 95 [Big Grin]

[ 22. August 2005, 23:46: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

1984 is indeed a nice number, and it's got your name on it. Could you be enticed into bidding for it? All monies received in the auction go to support the Ship.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:

Naw, looks like I've lost the Reformation, but at least I'm still winning the World Cup for Germany! [Biased]

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimmyT:
I remember 1966 for the Beach Boys song "Good Vibrations."<snip>

And the Year His Bobness floored his public with Blonde on Blonde .

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:

Naw, looks like I've lost the Reformation, but at least I'm still winning the World Cup for Germany! [Biased]
No you're not.
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

quote:
Originally posted by Jonah the Whale:
No you're not.

Oh well, I'm still winning the lowest prime number on offer. [Razz]

--------------------

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IngoB, perhaps a Jeremaiah or a Dositheus could bid for the 95 number. Then we could use an Orthodox priest as an avatar, or one of the anathemas against the Reformers as a title. But then again, you could, um, sell some indulgence, so that you could raise money for that noble cause. With the consent of your bishop of course. Rumor has it that the Bank of Vatican is going to issue a check for you so that you can outbid them all. [Big Grin]

Too bad the auction is from a western point of view [Razz] We could use some dates important to the Orthodox [Big Grin]

Yea, Auctioneer, getting money for the Ship is noble, and the 1984 is a nice number [Big Grin] , but I can't help you since I have no income of my own yet [Big Grin]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How the Hell am I still winning 1000??? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist*

Ship's Diplomat
# 4367

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're not.

[Biased]

--------------------
Past the point of no return,
The final threshold.
The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.
We've passed the point of no return.

Posts: 873 | From: Member number 1000! | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonah is taking 1966 home to, errr, the Netherlands?

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

The best team never to have won the World Cup! Robbed by the Germans in 74 and by the Argies in 78. But this is not about them, this is about defending England's honour against the smears of those who think that England only deserved to win 3-2 back in 66.

JtW.

wesleyswig
Shipmate
# 5436

- Posted      Profile for wesleyswig   Author's homepage   Email wesleyswig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deary me, there was me hoping for a good ol Methodist date or two to, ach well you loss is my financial errr....evens..!

regards Ever
John

--------------------
"I am still a Methodist, You can never get it's special glow out of your blood" Ellen Wilkinson
Read my ramblings

Posts: 878 | From: Chained to my desk.... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

To bid again, or not... that is the question!

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I've had enough now. I'll just spectate [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gauk
Shipmate
# 1125

- Posted      Profile for Gauk     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
The English are good at inventing games like football and cricket, but they can't play them.

As opposed to the Americans, who invent new sports that no-one else plays, so they can be sure that an American team wins the World Championship. [Biased]

--------------------
Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence ... it is conceivable that someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence certainly never.

Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

quote:
Originally posted by dolphy:
To bid again, or not... that is the question!

Easily answered: Bid! Bid! [Big Grin]

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016