homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » Auctions   » The Peanut Gallery (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Peanut Gallery
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The dream of owning a prime number was sweet, but short-lasted. My only regret is that I'll never be able to taste Erin's Brunswick Stew.

Dammit, I missed that party! [Frown] And I could have brought borsch and blini.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pānts:
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
I think "Win a Date With Simon" could be quite a lucrative offering.

Oooh, here's a wacky idea: "Win a Wake-up Call from Simon"! Highest bidder wins a 10-second call from Simon on your landline or cell phone, wishing you a good morning.

[Killing me] Fab!
Does the lowest bidder win a call from Erin and/or RooK, if the highest bidder rejects the option outlined by Paul?

[ 01. September 2005, 10:50: Message edited by: Papio. ]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like Pants really wants the UK emergency number.
Perhaps that is for the next time the Alien does an almighty poo [Two face] [Biased]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Procrastinus

Ship's Fortean
# 9915

- Posted      Profile for Procrastinus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by strathclydezero:
Bidders should be making pitches here to say why we should support their bid ...

Here goes, please help me get 1984 (I'm ahead at the moment but I'm sure it won't last - I am at work tomorrow and I can't access the ship).

I first read the book when I was eleven, bugged my English teacher to try and find out what 'proles' meant. I have always loved the book and it has informed my cautious attitude to government. It reminds of us the dangers we drift into with spin and special legislation.

I went so far as to buy a really good hardback edition so I'd always have a copy. It's like Catch 22, one of the incredible, powerful books that change the way you see the world.

I would cherish the number, polish it every month, give it regular outings in Hell to so it could get enough hate and Purgatory to let it air its political and philosophical leanings. I'd feed it regular left wing opinions and everything !

Please, I know I'm not truly worthy, but please.

[Overused]

Prock

--------------------
Dare to be wise; begin.

Posts: 198 | From: Imaginary Future | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Oooh, here's a wacky idea: "Win a Wake-up Call from Simon"! Highest bidder wins a 10-second call from Simon on your landline or cell phone, wishing you a good morning.

Ken... you're getting ahead of yourself. That's the next auction.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just under 10 1/2 hours to go before the gavel falls for good on all these lots. Check underneath the sofa cushions, break your kid's piggy bank, tell yourself you actually want to eat rice and beans for a week or two. [Biased]

Seriously, if you have some disposable income, we'd be happy to dispose of it for you. We appreciate your generosity.

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auctioneer:
...<snip> tell yourself you actually want to eat rice and beans for a week or two. [Biased]

<snip>

Gosh! Beans and Rice is an absolute treat!!! [Yipee] Especially blackbeans with a bit of sour cream and some chopped onion...WooHoo! [Big Grin]

Auctioneer, you were bribing us, weren't you! [Biased]

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:
...<snip> tell yourself you actually want to eat rice and beans for a week or two. [Biased]

<snip>

Gosh! Beans and Rice is an absolute treat!!! [Yipee] Especially blackbeans with a bit of sour cream and some chopped onion...WooHoo! [Big Grin]

Auctioneer, you were bribing us, weren't you! [Biased]

Furthermore the second hand methane production could provide an enormous supply of energy. When I was a boy at boarding school we used to set fire to that kind of gas supply in the dorms at night [Snigger] . It was advisable to wear pyjamas when doing so [Eek!]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just under 10 1/2 hours to go before the gavel falls for good on all these lots. Check underneath the sofa cushions, break your kid's piggy bank, tell yourself you actually want to eat rice and beans for a week or two. [Biased]

Seriously, if you have some disposable income, we'd be happy to dispose of it for you. We appreciate your generosity.

I'm going to sleep and getting up at 3 am my time [Hot and Hormonal]

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

- Posted      Profile for Auctioneer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's the dedication, the adherence to principle, the flat-out craziness we like to see! Thanks, Amazing Grace.
Fen Church
Shipmate
# 9899

- Posted      Profile for Fen Church   Email Fen Church   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if the minimum secret bidding level is going to wind up being a problem!

--------------------
"I always thought God was just for athletes and Grammy winners, but he's there for me too." - Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 257 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auctioneer

Going... going... gone!
# 12

OK folks... we're inside the final hour, with just (checks watch) 45 minutes before the hammer comes down. Get ready to make your final bids!
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sits down with a cup of tea, let the games begin.......

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind the bills you HAVE TO HAVE that low number. It is all that matters. This is the real world everything else is an illusion. You can not take $s with you but JESUS will smile on your low number, and give a you a special place in heaven.

P

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Screw the kid's birthday.

P

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist*

Ship's Diplomat
# 4367

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So which number are you bidding on Pyx_e? [Biased]

--------------------
Past the point of no return,
The final threshold.
The bridge is crossed, so stand and watch it burn.
We've passed the point of no return.

Posts: 873 | From: Member number 1000! | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

LMM; 4366.

Sine are you in your silk jammies? Are you hovering feverishly over the keyboard in a semi-darkened room? Is the ticking of the clock like some water torture to your twisted soul? Can you hear the voice from your boudoir “Come back to bed darling.” Or are you deaf and blind to all but the ship and those bastards who are trying to rob you of what is yours, by right, by birth and by sheer size of you wallet?

P

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once bought a very large Louis XVI style commode at auction that looked dreadful in my house, just because I got carried away in the heat of battle.

It was two years before I could bring myself to admit I'd made a mistake and get rid of it at a loss.

But a glamorous membership number is forever and worth any price. You can't place a dollar amount on prestige.

A low number will help my daughter make a good marriage. If I had a daughter, she'd thank me.

iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wooh, AG. You're up *early* (or *late*, as the case may be)

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
<snip> You can not take $s with you but JESUS will smile on your low number, and give a you a special place in heaven.

P

He told you that, Shipmate number 57? [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Around the world friends and family of shipmates are disturbed by the conflict of a seeming outer calm and acceptance whilst vibrations of angst and deep spiritual pain can be discerned. Pants is rolling steel marbles in her left hand, Amazing Grace is whistling Deep Purple tunes and Demas quietly weeps.

P

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
quote:
<snip> You can not take $s with you but JESUS will smile on your low number, and give a you a special place in heaven.

P

He told you that, Shipmate number 57? [Biased]
It's in the Bible.

P

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

It's like those tumble weed moments in westerns. The street (deck) is quiet, the women and children have been ushered into backrooms. Men count their courage and find themselves wanting as they too crouch behind a big sack of beans.

"I only came into town to buy my wife some gingham mister, I don't want no trouble."

The winds blows ..............

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Pease, divert all auxiliary power to the shields. Power down all non-essential systems and double-bus the weapon system couplings.

Things are going to get hot round here.

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

I bet all you losers on 56k modems are shitting yourselves.

P

--------------------

iGeek.*

Resident alien
# 3207

- Posted      Profile for iGeek.*   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World clock has chimed the hour. Is it over?

--------------------
.sig on holiday

Posts: 702 | From: Hot-on-us, TX | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by iGeek.:
World clock has chimed the hour. Is it over?

Isn't that your wife's line?

P

[ 02. September 2005, 11:02: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine*   Email Sine Nomine*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a cigarette.
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jedijudy is a last-minute winner. Something slightly tarnished by her bidding against herself?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace*   Email Amazing Grace*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was expecting more of a flurry at the last minute. I probably could have placed a big bid last night and slept in. [Biased]

(Well, since my computer clock was wrong, I placed a bid just after the time.)

It was fun!

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

Posts: 2594 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

# 1059

Gosh, I was shaking!

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Writes 1143 down in his little book, bloody upstarts .......

P

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Gosh, I was shaking!

Bagged yourself a bargain, though. [Cool]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
Writes 1143 down in his little book, bloody upstarts .......

Now, will there be a number 1143 soon? Should I keep that number or switch?

Decisions, decisions...

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Sine Nomine*

# 3631

At least now my membership number will be a bit more in sync with my post count.
jedijudy*

# 1059

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Gosh, I was shaking!

Bagged yourself a bargain, though. [Cool]
[Yipee] WooHoo! Yes I did, but...who of my IRL friends do I dare tell?

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

LOL at the Banner, tell me you made him pay for that?

P

(v funny gort)

--------------------

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
who of my IRL friends do I dare tell?

Not someone else who claims to have a real life. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Will the Returning Officer come and announce the results, or do we have to have the swimsuit parade first?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

Will the Returning Officer come and announce the results, or do we have to have the swimsuit parade first?

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

You can stop hitting "add reply" twice now.

P

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist*

Ship's Diplomat
# 4367

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist*         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
LOL at the Banner, tell me you made him pay for that?

P

(v funny gort)

What banner?

--------------------
The final threshold.

Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

quote:
You can stop hitting "add reply" twice now.

I'm convinced my work internet access is slower than dial-up. How the IT department manage that I've no idea. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Amazing Grace*

Shipmate
# 4754

I like the new variant on the ad banner.

Well done!

Charlotte

--------------------
.sig on vacation

jedijudy*

# 1059

***jj does the Happy Jedi Dance ™ while throwing three lightsabers around in a dazzling display of amazement and joy***

My very own 333! [Big Grin] [Yipee]

Mine was the first closed..nyah nyah... Oops, that was very un-Jedi behavior. Sorry.

I mean...a pleasant morning this has been.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn, that's funny. [Killing me]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist*

Ship's Diplomat
# 4367

Well, there we go.

Considering I only bid on 1000 to make a joke at first, i'm surprised I won. I'm even more surprised by the fact that I bid $100, given that I decided my limit in this auction was $50.

Not as surprised as my credit card company will be though...!

LMM

--------------------
The final threshold.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I screwed that pooch. [Hot and Hormonal]

How was I to know I had GMT off by an hour? :whine:

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
strathclydezero

# 180

- Posted      Profile for strathclydezero   Email strathclydezero   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You had GMT spot on, but the UK is not currently on GMT. The auction was running on BST.

--------------------
All religions will pass, but this will remain:
simply sitting in a chair and looking in the distance.
V V Rozanov

Posts: 3276 | From: The Near East | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Well, I screwed that pooch. [Hot and Hormonal]

How was I to know I had GMT off by an hour? :whine:

You should have trusted me, I am a Vicar.

P

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016