homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Haven't read it, never will either (Book Discussion) (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Haven't read it, never will either (Book Discussion)
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's how SteveTom signed off his OP on the Suppressed Gospels thread.

To be honest, what with the combination of lots of hoopla in the press about the book and the fact that it stayed available only in expensive hardcover up until a couple of days ago, at least here in the US, I never intended to read it either.

In the interim, I did buy a cheap paperback copy of Dan Brown's earlier bookAngels & Demons, which the bookstore clerk assured me was pretty much the same plot outline and perhaps a better read. It definitely fell into the beach book/long airplane trip category, and not an especially wonderful specimen, either. So I had no intention of reading Da Vinci Code.

As it happened, however, a Shipmate offered to pass along his paperback copy, so I did read it.

My verdict:
  • definitely not worth buying
  • probably not worth reading
  • might be useful for beach or other reading where you intend to doze off a lot and don't care about actually remembering anything about the book
  • unless, of course, you want to have some sort of credibility in discussing the brouhaha associated with the court case
  • in which case, you probably need to put that time and effort into getting a life

YMMV, so let us know whether you read the book, and why or why not, and what you thought of it if you did read it.

[ 17. May 2006, 21:12: Message edited by: Louise ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't read it.

Life is too short to voluntarily read bollocks. There is too much important stuff that I need to read that I'm unable to, that I don't want to spend what little time I have available reading fiction.

Especially fiction critical of my faith tradition, and not critical in a constructive way.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it only because I'd bought it and figured that if I didn't keep reading (after the first awful ten pages), I'd be wasting my money.

It's woeful. It's certainly not worth paying money for.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

the Pookah
Shipmate
# 9186

- Posted      Profile for the Pookah   Email the Pookah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was fun, & he did a very good job of making it suspenseful. It's extremely easy to be a critic but to write & pace that way- I for sure cannot end every chapter on a cliffhanger.
I think you are all judging it like a theological work, you've bought into it, & don't see it for what it is; a fun adventure, like Shangri-La by J. Hilton
which I adore as well:)
Pookah, trashy novel enjoyer

Posts: 926 | From: the Northern colonies | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never intended to read it. I probably still wouldn't have, if there hadn't been so much discussion about it. It had been out for months before I got round to ordering a copy from the library. Once I'd read it, I was glad I hadn't wasted the money buying it.

I've said it before but it really did seem just as if the author had gone into his local New Age bookshop and scooped up a handful of bargain basement books, and mixed them all up in a kind of stew of ideas. I found myself thinking, "Is he going to mention - oh, he just did, how about - yes, and what about - thought so, all we need now is X, Y and Z and we've got the set." It just lacked originality. It was a mixture of a lot of ideas that mostly had had their day and fallen by the wayside.

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it after it first came out and as I recall enjoyed it. But then I like cheap novels. I did think Forever Amber was better researched and far more historically accurate than The Da Vinci Code though.

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the Pookah:
I think you are all judging it like a theological work, you've bought into it, & don't see it for what it is; a fun adventure, like Shangri-La by J. Hilton

Where has anyone so far indicated that they have judged it as a theological work? Seems to me the consensus is that everyone read it as some form of Literature Light ("beach book", "trashy novel", etc.) and are merely giving thumbs up or down on that basis.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never read it, never will. It's not a genre I'm terribly interested in, and I have tons of other things I have yet to get to. Hope this doesn't make me a philistine or something.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I won't waste my time reading DVC, it would be like watching Paris Hilton movies. But if this actually penetrates popular culture, rather than just being a typical temporary brain failure of modernity, then I may have to buy and read one of the books refuting DVC - for apologetic purposes. The really amazing thing is that anybody gives a damn. Slagging the church, in particular the RCC, still can bring huge monetary rewards. That makes me wonder how "secular" our societies really are. If people are just post-Christian religious apathetics, why do they even care about any of this?

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was seriously annoyed at the "no paperback", which seemed a blatant money-grab, so I resolved to not spend money on it. I finally read it a year or so ago when it was on the shelf at my local library (the excitement had died down enough that I didn't need to spend $.50 to reserve it).

My take on it is pretty similar to Sine's, actually. It did keep me turning the pages, but I'm easily amused, and wasn't treating it as more than fiction. I'm glad I didn't spend any money on it.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Several friends said it was a "must read" so I did (I'm happy to say one of those friends lent it to me, so I didn't waste my money or add to Dan Brown's bank account). I thought it was poorly written and poorly researched. I didn't like the main characters, so I wasn't in suspense about what would happen to them; I just didn't care. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to be taking it too seriously -- it's just fiction, and pretty bad fiction at that. There are so many better books, which I wish wuld get the attention that DVC has.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read HBHG a long, long time ago, and was sorry I'd wasted the time.

I don't intend to read DVC. There are so many wonderful books I'm trying to get around to reading. DVC isn't one of them.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm actually planning to start it this weekend. I like to be in on the hoopla, and I prefer making my own judgments. I have anticipated reading it for entertainment, like a Harry Potter story or a book by John Grisham -- no more, no less. I'm not enough of a book snob to think everything I read has to be "literary".

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never read it.

I don't go for pop fiction in general.

It's just not my type of book.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did buy a copy and read it, for two simple reasons.

1) It was £3.73 at Tescos
2) I'd been asked enough times if I read it that I figured it would probably help with some useful opportunities to speak about my faith.

What Dan Brown does a lot is tell small, easily verifiable truths that not everyone would have appreciated (e.g. the existence of the Nag Hammandi documents) and then hang big lies on them, which might actually take some effort to check up. But because the small truths checked out, some people then trust him on the big things too.

It's how Angels and Demons worked too (and, being a physicist with a fair knowledge of the history of science and religion, it was far easier to spot where the lies started).

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
General opinion seems to be that DVC is worse-written and less believable than any of the Harry Potter books, which puts it well down my reading list.

Life's too short to read bad books, which is why I've just skimmed through the last 200 pages of Lolita - so, so dull. [Snore]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Life's too short to read bad books,

Be careful; you may get called a "book snob".

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Harry Potter and the Da Vinci Code", now there's a thought...
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't read it at this point, but I remember a number of my Piskie buds got rather gleeful about the prominent position Mary Magdalene got and the rather naughty notion that Jesus might have been (whisper) married. [Two face]

I've read a few conspiracy essays on the Church of the Magdalene. Soooo 1990s/X-Files, daaarrrlling.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't read it - yet - but the Archdeacon mentioned it in his sermon a couple of weeks ago. He said he'd read about half of it, thought it was bunkum and put it away.......but it did raise some interesting thoughts about the humanity of Jesus. What difference (he asked) might it make to our faith if Our Lord had been married to Mary Magdalene?

So, when I trot off to the public library today, I'm going to see if I can find the book.......from what others have said, it doesn't seem to be worth spending money on...

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What difference (he asked) might it make to our faith if Our Lord had been married to Mary Magdalene?

Well it would mean the Ascension was abandonment. Imagine, Jesus Christ, patron saint of deadbeat dads everywhere.

--------------------

Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had no intention of reading it but a parishioner kept talking about it, then eventually lent me it, then kept asking me what I thought of it. It didn't take long to read it and I think the best thing about it was the suspense which made it an easy read. It's a kind of 'made-for-TV-or-film' book imo; rather cliched and two-dimensional. But for what it was I enjoyed it as a light read, while at the same time wondering what all the fuss was about.

I don't read enough fiction or non-work related stuff so it was quite a pleasant undemanding excursion into fairyland for a few hours! BTW, another parishioner, learning that I had read TDVC, then lent me two other Dan Brown books, for holiday reading, which in respect of technique, character development and plot-style were identical. He obviously knows what works for him.

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Anselmina I don't read enough fiction, but I secretly adore trashy thrillers with cliffhangers at the end of every chapter, so when I got my hands on (someone else's) copy I lapped it up. It's hilarious as well as quite exciting - how can anyone resist a giant albino monk? I gave up counting the author's howlers and misunderstandings early on (though there's a wonderful gallop through early church history, Dan Brown-style, somewhere round the middle which made me laugh out loud) and just sat back and enjoyed the ride. It's dire, but it's fun if you have the time to read it.
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ah what the hell.

I LIKED the Da Vinci Code.

the thesis is crap. so what? I actually say the writing was good. Better than Ian McKellen, whom I couldn't get through (he seem so infatuated with his power of description... blech [Projectile] ).

The DVC was interesting, and fast paced, and a kick. I like history-mysteries. I enjoyed all the silly coding, etc. For that reason I loved Angels and Demons too. I'm a sucker for a secret code.

I went back and read HBHG afterwards and lost interest in the conspiracy theories of it all. but I love a good fast paced book full of mystery and codes.

so sue me.

Comet

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read HBHG ages ago, because my grandmother is a credulous old soul, and has the whole set of Templar/Jesus/Merovingian/Black Madonna hackwork. I remember thinking two things at the end:

1. If the Queen really were related to Jesus, as the family tree at the back shows, then you might think there were points in history where that would have been something of a trump card. But on all the geneaolgies drawn up shewing the monarch's descent from Adam, Our Lord would only be there as a sort of famous great-uncle. Why the bother, when you could go straight to the Big Man?

2. All of the aristocratic support they'd enlisted was completely spurious: 'Prince Michael of Albany', (bespectacled Belgian teacher) anyone? Now, I've got a lot of time for disposessed and mediatised nobles, but this lot didn't even reach the dodgy tat 'n' titles realm of the Lazarites.

The whole genre is completely bankrupt, and the extent to which people treat the DVC as, ahem, Gospel is frankly rather off-putting. There was something on BBC4, I think, a little while ago, which featured a 'hardy band' of DVC loyalists, who were introduced to a priest of Opus Dei, a Leonardo da Vinci expert and an architectural historian (at the Rosslyn chapel); they were all firm in their assertion that none of the 'facts' were true, or even in some cases possible, but still this group of numpties persisted in clinging to the 'truth' of the book.

All of the above doesn't make me want to read what is almost universally acknowledged to be a poorly-written potboiler. Can you tell that this subject makes me somewhat testy?

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum read it, and says it is one of the wrost books she has ever read (and she has read a lot, and I mean a lot, of trashy books).

I have recieved similar reports from a close friend, and another site I use voted it worst book ever.

Therefore, I won't read it either.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
Life's too short to read bad books,

Be careful; you may get called a "book snob".
Yeah, like that would be the end of the world.

But then, I read trashy sci-fi novels by the bucketload.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you check out Brown's geographical facts, such as riding on the London Underground from Temple Bar to King's College, when Temple is the nearest Underground station to King's College, you see the accuracy of Brown's research.

Having said that, if you suspend belief and treat it as a thriller, it's not that bad. But Angels and Demons and Deception Point are better.

Having read other Brown books before TDC I was disappointed that it was not as good.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have read it, a friend lent it to me and I was fed up of all the "you're a Catholic, hee hee, it's all lies, Dan Brown says so in The Da Vinci Code, ha ha, you've been had," comments I was getting.

I have never read such a pile of steaming rubbish in all my life. I've read more challenging Mills & Boon romances. His research is shoddy, his plots are execrable, his characterisation is one-dimensional at best, and the ending was the biggest anti-climax I've ever read.

Interestingly, I was in Paris on business a couple of weeks ago and one of the evening entertainments was a "Da Vinci Code" tour of the Louvre. It was a fairly comprehensive debunking of the parts that took place in the museum, and if he can't even be bothered to get such easily-confirmed things right, why should we trust him on "The Church is built on lies"?

And there are no monks in Opus Dei.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't read it, and really really really don't want to. But as I get really wound up when people who haven't seen "Jerry Springer: The Opera" still see fit to comment on why it's so terrible, I think I will get round to reading it just so that I can pontificate from a position of knowledge rather than hearsay. I'm rather hoping that my reaction will be the same as when I read the "This Present Darkness" series by Frank Peretti (it was so spectacularly corny and badly written I nearly had a stroke laughing).

I'll make sure I cadge someone else's copy though. I just can't bring myself to pay for it.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
I'll make sure I cadge someone else's copy though. I just can't bring myself to pay for it.

You can have mine, unless I decided to throw it out.

It might take me a while to find it, mind. If I've still got it, it will be in one of the 25 knee-high stacks of books that adorn my bedroom floor.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:
ah what the hell.

I LIKED the Da Vinci Code.

the thesis is crap. so what? I actually say the writing was good. Better than Ian McKellen, whom I couldn't get through (he seem so infatuated with his power of description... blech [Projectile] ).

The DVC was interesting, and fast paced, and a kick. I like history-mysteries. I enjoyed all the silly coding, etc. For that reason I loved Angels and Demons too. I'm a sucker for a secret code.

I went back and read HBHG afterwards and lost interest in the conspiracy theories of it all. but I love a good fast paced book full of mystery and codes.

so sue me.

Comet

Likewise

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
What difference (he asked) might it make to our faith if Our Lord had been married to Mary Magdalene?

Well it would mean the Ascension was abandonment. Imagine, Jesus Christ, patron saint of deadbeat dads everywhere.
Depends whether 'til death do part' counts if you come back after three days.

TME

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that irritated me was all the church members who became confused after reading it, wanting to form discussion groups to sort it out, and wondering if it pointed out deep, dark, suppressed truths.

Happily, telling them that they were wrong to feel that way seemed to work just fine. Never did read it myself.

I'm sure the movie will be better anyway. [Angel]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven’t read it either, and have no intention to read it, especially after seeing the first few lines quoted in a thread here (can’t remember which), which drove the grammar fascist in me up the wall.

I do remember HBHG, and the various programmes about Rennes-le-Chateau, and would urge any (UK) DVC fans to watch Tony Robinson’s excellent debunking of the whole sorry mess.

Here’s a thought: John 11:5 says ‘Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.’ I am going to start a new conspiracy theory that the little household in Bethany was actually a [Eek!] ménage-a-quatre.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

If it is, it will be the very first time the universe has ever, ever, ever witnessed a movie that was as good as the book, let alone better.

Movies are never better than the book. Fact.

99.999999999999% of the time, the movie is an insult to the book and ruins it completely.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a shameless book snob. I do read 'trashy' fiction, but from a carefully selected group of authors, because I can't stand bad writing or characterisation. I have no intention whatsoever of reading TDVC, because several people I know who have and whose opinions on literature I respect (notably both my parents) have said pretty much what others on this thread have said - that Brown's writing is execrable, his plots ridiculous and his characters one-dimensional.

Also because once I've taken a stand I hate going back on it. I'm human.

Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:

99.999999999999% of the time, the movie is an insult to the book and ruins it completely.
So true. This is what I mean. Or rather, this is what I am hoping for. Ruining a bad book can sometimes be an improvement.

And if you didn't read the book in the first place you come out smelling like a rose. [Two face]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are 20 copies of the Da Vinci code in the library where I work, and they are never on the shelves, so Mr Brown must be doing something right.
Having said that, as there are so many books and so little time in which to read them, I have no intention of reading it myself.
What annoys me is the number of authors that are jumping on this particular bandwagon, with 'The new Da Vinci Code' plastered on the front cover.
Even the latest Kathy Reichs seemed to be doing this, IMHO, to its detriment.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two four-foot long shelves in my bedroom stacked with quality fiction and non-fiction (mostly theology) that I plan to read soon. Why would I want to waste my time reading this load of half-baked crapola?

You may say I should read it to find out if it's really crapola. Fortunately, I have critics and you good people here to tell me that. After all, I don't read porn or racist literature to find out if it's really pornographic or racist!

ETA: PS, as an impoverished writer myself, I would not be able to bring myself to put even more money into the fraudulent pocket of Dan Brown.

[ 01. April 2006, 12:31: Message edited by: Esmeralda ]

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Papio.:
If it is, it will be the very first time the universe has ever, ever, ever witnessed a movie that was as good as the book, let alone better.

Movies are never better than the book. Fact.

All the Inspector Morse episodes were better than the corresponding books. (Though whether they were movies is certainly debatable).

--------------------
blog

Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
It might take me a while to find it, mind. If I've still got it, it will be in one of the 25 knee-high stacks of books that adorn my bedroom floor.

Only knee-high?

Knee-high stacks of books are too easy to trip over...

--------------------
blog

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
Only knee-high?

Knee-high stacks of books are too easy to trip over...

They're all stacked against the walls.

Deborah

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by The Machine Elf:
quote:
Imagine, Jesus Christ, patron saint of deadbeat dads everywhere.

Depends whether 'til death do part' counts if you come back after three days.
Like that matters to a single mom trying to raise kids.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't read Da Vinci Code but enjoyed Von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods". Does that count?

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the oringinal book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail and don't have the time to read the same thing again.

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read it, was mildly entertained, got most of the plot twists before the characters left the Louvre, and was horribly let down by the "climax".

But then again I love conspiracies, the knights templar, and mild mannered heros (Go Giles!). But I thought that Foucault's Pendulum is a much better book in that genre.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never read it; never will.

I put this is a even lower category that the Left Behind series: utter, utter, utter rubbish.

I'm told that reading it could provide me with evangelistic opportuniities. I don't care though: as far as I'm concerned anyone who's prepared to read this codswallop deserves to stay unsaved. [Two face]

Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preferred "Angels and Demons". When HBHG came out, I read that and did some digging around. Having discovered how unhistorical that was, I had little difficulty in reading TDVC as fiction. Trouble is, it really isn't very good fiction - or very well written. But it does have some narrative drive. I've had some quite good conversations about it, particularly since UK's Channel 4 exploded the nonsense behind the Priory of Sion.

What I guess those us of who are Christian have to face is that loads of folks who aren't Christian are much more comfortable with the notion of a married Jesus who had sex than with an unmarried Jesus who didn't. In this sexualised era, people who don't have sex "must have something wrong with them." Celibacy isn't seen as a sign of spirituality or holiness, but a sign of oddness. That's the hook of plausibility that sinks in, regardless of the unhistorical nonsense supporting it. If you get to talk about the book to folks, that's worth thinking about.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
I haven't read Da Vinci Code but enjoyed Von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods". Does that count?

At least CotG had pictures.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016