homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Haven't read it, never will either (Book Discussion) (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Haven't read it, never will either (Book Discussion)
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Razz] . I adore the Glass Pyramid! Including (most ingeniously IMHO) the way it makes you (well, me) really look at the Louvre's architecture as well instead of taking it for granted.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglicanAvenger:
(Rule of Four was much better),

Oh No. No.No.No.No. Rule of Four was awful at least Da Vinci Code was pacy.
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the glass pyramid too
I wasn't going to bother reading the DaVinci Code but borrowed it from my brother who reads any old rubbish. I then borrowed and read 'Angels and Demons' 'Deception Point' and 'Digital Fortress' (OK my brother isn't alone)
I think Dan Brown cooks up a reasonable thriller of the holiday reading variety with unconvincing characters in implausible situations and that's it.

Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
AnglicanAvenger
Apprentice
# 11252

- Posted      Profile for AnglicanAvenger   Email AnglicanAvenger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, Authenrieth Road, what you're saying is I should use my distaste for the glass pyramid to heighten my appreciation of the beautiful bits?

And, da_musicman, IMO the DVC wasn't pacy, but incredibly rushed.

--------------------
"Suddenly, a clergyman was defenestrated - 'That is a sign,' thought M___ C___ 'I shall terrify the underworld in the black robes of a priest'

Posts: 36 | From: Boulder, Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, no. If you don't like the pyramid in and of itself, then you're stuck. [Frown] .

I guess it helps that intrinsically I don't dislike the Glass Pyramid. So I'm definitely not thinking "yuck, I hate this ugly thing here" when I'm in the courtyard of the Louvre. I do think, "this is startlingly different." But then I think about the ways in which it's different, and then that makes me notice much more what the Louvre's architecture itself is really like, rather than just looking at it and thinking, "ho hum, more fancy stuff." And then I enjoy looking at both together or either separately.

(Speaking in the historical present, thinking back to 1991.)

To obligatorily relate this to The Da Vinci Code, one could apply the same logic and use TDVC to think about what makes bad or pot-boiling or popularly simplistic writing, and then compare it to other writing. I'm not able to put in words the mechanics of how writing works; I wish I could.

[Uh-oh, now I've gone and drawn a parallel between TDVC and the Glass Pyramid; which probably works for Anglican Avenger, but not for me cause I think the GP is really clever and TDVC is merely a cheap thriller. Fooey.]

[ 19. April 2006, 18:02: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andromache
Apprentice
# 11287

- Posted      Profile for Andromache     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. I borrowed TDVC off a French friend, which had two advantages: a) I didn't have to contribute to Dan Brown's takings; and b) I could kid myself that I wasn't wasting my time as I was practising my French. I therefore missed out on the aforementioned bad grammar, which would probably have driven me round the bend.

I pretty much took the view of others on this thread that it's not fair to pontificate on the crapness of something until one has at least an idea of what one is talking about. I also wanted to know what the fuss was about: if so many people are reading it, there must be something in it, right?

How naive I was. It really was dire, not only in terms of its spurious historical basis but also as a piece of fiction. Nonetheless, I did find it passingly amusing for a holiday read and I wouldn't stop anyone else from reading it; neither would I recommend it, however, even for the reason of having more credibility when you explain to gullible people why it has no validity, since you can quite easily get the basic thesis from the many articles that have been published on it. Its enduring popularity does mean that I have to have an answer when people challenge me about it and so I can't dismiss it entirely, but I sure would like to.

Posts: 27 | From: Londinium | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearalis
Shipmate
# 9035

- Posted      Profile for Pearalis     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
I read it when the reserve list at the library got to be well over 1000, figured I ought to have some idea what my patrons were devouring so eagerly.

You jumped the queue?

The bookstore salesperson gushed when I bought it, all "Have you read his others? No? It doesn't matter ..." On exiting the bookstore reading the back cover, a bloke selling icecreams wearing a Cat in The Hat hat (seriously) yelled out to me, "Oh, you've got TDVC". I smiled, quickly shoved the book in its bag and kept walking. Obviously a conversation starter.

Read it over a couple of days, a good, lightweight page-turner. Enjoyed it, not a genre I have read before so it surprised me.

Mum asked to borrow it over 6 months ago. She got some way in but dropped it, citing too many confusing foreign names. I wonder if she found the rude bit. Saw it on the dressing table in the spare room at Christmas. Haven't retrieved it as yet but a good fast and light read for anytime you need an excuse to avoid re-attempting LOTR [Big Grin]

--------------------
Some days are diamonds, some days are stone.

Posts: 205 | From: Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Da Vinci Code is simply a pot boiler, written in the style of thrillers aimed at men, or so I am led to believe. As such it is not great literature. The subject matter made it interesting, to me at least, as I have long been a fan of mad books about the grail etc. I read Angels and Demoms too, out of curiosity, and found it a similarly 'good read', but an attemt to read one of his earlier novels, Deception Point, ended in total boredom, because I had no interest in the subject matter. I am looking forward to his next, featuring the Masons. Should be a hoot!
I am sure all this has alredy been said, but I am new to the discussion group and this is my first posting

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Posts: 2542 | From: LaLa Land | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually picked up the book for the first time today (it was in the waiting room when a client was late). I read the first chapter without throwing it across the room, but it was a close thing. I wish DB had submitted it to my college creative writing teacher (RIP)--he'd still be nursing his wounds.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
art dunce
Shipmate
# 9258

- Posted      Profile for art dunce     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken Writez said:
quote:
OK, I read the Foreword and Chapter 1. It's among the worst I've ever read; overwritten, trite, and it cheered me up immensely!

If they'll publish this dreck, my own crappy writing can only shine in comparison.

Well put. This was my experience as well. The worst part was when I put it down, all of my non-Christian friends said that it was because I was frightened that it was going to shake my faith. [Roll Eyes]
The albino kept making me think of that awful Chevy Chase, Goldie Hawn movie, "Foul Play"...

--------------------
Ego is not your amigo.

Posts: 1283 | From: in the studio | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Father Gregory

Orthodoxy
# 310

- Posted      Profile for Father Gregory   Author's homepage   Email Father Gregory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rome's up to no good. (mutter, mutter). They've been hiding the Truth for millennia (mutter, mutter,); Jesus must have had sex if he was normal, (mutter, mutter).

I think laughter is the most appropriate response. Let's face it ... it's got damn all to do with evidence.

--------------------
Yours in Christ
Fr. Gregory
Find Your Way Around the Plot
TheOrthodoxPlot™

Posts: 15099 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like others here, I barely got past page 2. But then I read some of his "source materials" about 20 years ago... I thought those were crap then, and they surely are still crap now. Amazing how many people never pick up on the disclaimer on the verso of the title page: This is a work of fiction... or such phrasing.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

- Posted      Profile for in the garden         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pânts:
quote:
Originally posted by cometchaser:
ah what the hell.

I LIKED the Da Vinci Code.

the thesis is crap. so what? I actually say the writing was good. Better than Ian McKellen, whom I couldn't get through (he seem so infatuated with his power of description... blech [Projectile] ).

The DVC was interesting, and fast paced, and a kick. I like history-mysteries. I enjoyed all the silly coding, etc. For that reason I loved Angels and Demons too. I'm a sucker for a secret code.

I went back and read HBHG afterwards and lost interest in the conspiracy theories of it all. but I love a good fast paced book full of mystery and codes.

so sue me.

Comet

Likewise

in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

- Posted      Profile for in the garden         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
That's how SteveTom signed off his OP on the Suppressed Gospels thread.

To be honest, what with the combination of lots of hoopla in the press about the book and the fact that it stayed available only in expensive hardcover up until a couple of days ago, at least here in the US, I never intended to read it either.

In the interim, I did buy a cheap paperback copy of Dan Brown's earlier bookAngels & Demons, which the bookstore clerk assured me was pretty much the same plot outline and perhaps a better read. It definitely fell into the beach book/long airplane trip category, and not an especially wonderful specimen, either. So I had no intention of reading Da Vinci Code.

As it happened, however, a Shipmate offered to pass along his paperback copy, so I did read it.

My verdict:
  • definitely not worth buying
  • probably not worth reading
  • might be useful for beach or other reading where you intend to doze off a lot and don't care about actually remembering anything about the book
  • unless, of course, you want to have some sort of credibility in discussing the brouhaha associated with the court case
  • in which case, you probably need to put that time and effort into getting a life

YMMV, so let us know whether you read the book, and why or why not, and what you thought of it if you did read it.

in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

I am a painter. I began to paint when I was down with cancer. As my skills progressed, I wanted to test myself by copying other artists, Okeefe, Gerome and, yup, Da Vinci. If there was a book of his work available to me, I bought it, studied it until my eyes bled, but the rewards were tremendous, as I am now a gallery represented painter.
This is how the Da Vinci Code was presented to me, and I read it from cover to cover. It is a juicy bit of fiction, but it reads like Spy vs. Spy....cops and robbers are boring, but the plot is imaginative and shows how a nuance can be manipulated.My point is that many of Da Vinci's figures are somewhat angrogenous, check out the angel sitting at the foot of the "Madonna Of The Rocks", so the premise for the whole book can be called into question based soley on the artists reditions themselves.
Don't take a fictional book and make it into something it's not. Read the book...research the artists works, form your own opinions and remember, the bible encourages us to study and learn, not to blindly accept direction from others.
It makes me so sad that people can have such a fear of shift in faith that they would close their eyes to the whole world. I don't mean you personally, but your comment did strike a chord.
The church has drawn so much attention to this because of their fear....of what?
I've heard more than a few times the Shakspearian quote "me thinks the lady doth protest too much.."
Wouldn't it have been better if they had said
"it's a juicy bit of fiction" and refrained from making a mountain out of a molehill?
Let's not censor the written word....if we do, the day may come when we will not be able to have discusson forums like this..remember the sword cuts both ways.
This book will not hurt you...it may bored you, or it may delight you. It might be just the right height to prop up that table leg, or could be donated to the library or for recycling...as for my copy, it has been "cored" and I use it to carry around my little tubes of watercolors...after all the cover is beautiful, don't you think?

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello 'in the garden'
Welcome to the boards. I'm not totally sure why you're re-posting entire posts from earlier in the thread. It makes things a bit confusing. Are you having problems cutting and pasting the relevant bits into your own posts? I've deleted the double-post, but I'll leave the other ones for now.

We have a practice thread on one of our other boards where you can get some help and advice and try out your posts to see how they look - UBB Practice thread.

best wishes

Louise

Da Vinci Code Board host

[ 10. May 2006, 14:59: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
Hello 'in the garden'
Welcome to the boards. I'm not totally sure why you're re-posting entire posts from earlier in the thread. It makes things a bit confusing. Are you having problems cutting and pasting the relevant bits into your own posts? I've deleted the double-post, but I'll leave the other ones for now.

We have a practice thread on one of our other boards where you can get some help and advice and try out your posts to see how they look - UBB Practice thread.

best wishes

Louise

Da Vinci Code Board host

in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

Yes, Louise, oops...having a hard time with the computer over here. Thank you for the advise and help...I'll try to do better next time.(My husband says if I fry one more mother board....)Thank you, Pam
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by in the garden:
Yes, Louise, oops...having a hard time with the computer over here. Thank you for the advise and help...I'll try to do better next time.(My husband says if I fry one more mother board....)Thank you, Pam

Hello Pam,
If you click on the little "inverted commas" icon you see at the top right hand side of the post you want to reply to, then that post magically appears correctly-formatted with its code in your posting window. You then just type your message underneath in the same window - as I've done here, hit 'preview post' to check all is well, and then hit 'add reply'.

Have a go on our friendly practice thread [Smile] and you'll soon get the hang of it.

cheers
Louise

DVC Host

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

quote:
Originally posted by Louise:
quote:

Hello Pam,
If you click on the little "inverted commas" icon you see at the top right hand side of the post you want to reply to, then that post magically appears correctly-formatted with its code in your posting window. You then just type your message underneath in the same window - as I've done here, hit 'preview post' to check all is well, and then hit 'add reply'.

Have a go on our friendly practice thread [Smile] and you'll soon get the hang of it.

cheers
Louise

DVC Host

By Georgia, I think she's got it!!!! [Hot and Hormonal] Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you're a peach! Yiippee! Pam
in the garden
ship's retard
# 11383

quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I’ve read it. It was recommended by a friend with a vague “well, it might help get people thinking about feminine aspects of the divine.” And I was curious and wanted to know what people were talking about.

I found it interesting to try to guess which new-age theory Brown was goiing to try to incorporate next. And I thought it was unintentiously hilarious in some spots.

This is something that interested me greatly in the book, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Historically, women have really taken a beating..no pun. I recently read that in a literal translation of the original text that Mary wasn't a floozy, but a woman of the city, and that Phoebe was a minister not a nurse...I wonder if part of this extreme reaction to DVC is the backlast against the treatment of women within the church.It would be very hard for a religious institution to subjugate, isolate its female members if Christ recognized them as equals, and I'm not so sure he didn't. Sometimes I wonder if maybe Adam shouldn't have taken a bigger bite.
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by saysay:
I’ve read it. It was recommended by a friend with a vague “well, it might help get people thinking about feminine aspects of the divine.” And I was curious and wanted to know what people were talking about.

I found it interesting to try to guess which new-age theory Brown was goiing to try to incorporate next. And I thought it was unintentiously hilarious in some spots.

This is something that interested me greatly in the book, and I'm glad you mentioned it. Historically, women have really taken a beating..no pun. I recently read that in a literal translation of the original text that Mary wasn't a floozy,
This one doesn't need special translations. Just search any online translation for the string 'Magdal', and see which verses come up. Read the appropriate passages, and decide for yourself. It's a myth that special scholarly knowledge is needed for this. The myths all come from exegesis that's just as shaky as the DVC sort. Example: Mary M as either slut or wife: if you read the story of the woman taken in adultery, and the story of the wedding at Cana (the two passages most often cited in these connections) you'll see that she just doesn't appear in either story. It's a false dichotomy based on centuries of lousy scholarship pulling in different directions.

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteCanada:
Amazing how many people never pick up on the disclaimer on the verso of the title page: This is a work of fiction... or such phrasing.

I feel like that's all at issue here. If you read it as just another novel (albeit, far from a really well writen one), it's palatable, and the "conspiracy" is fun and intriguing. As for people who are reading it as some kind of theological revelation, well, they deserve whatever they get.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grits:
quote:
Amazing how many people never pick up on the disclaimer on the verso of the title page: This is a work of fiction... or such phrasing.

I feel like that's all at issue here. If you read it as just another novel (albeit, far from a really well writen one), it's palatable, and the "conspiracy" is fun and intriguing. As for people who are reading it as some kind of theological revelation, well, they deserve whatever they get.
So true.

Except that I have suffer whenever some new congregation member reads it and thinks it has an important message that needs to be discussed with me. Usually at length, as I, having never read it, explain why it is unlikely that the church could manage a conspiracy to hide the fact that Mary and Jesus were married with living descendants for over two millenia. [Killing me] [Projectile]

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't read it. Might borrow it from the library.

Those in the US who have Symantec products might be able to see the movie for free though: I just received an e-mailing telling me if I buy one of their products I get two free tickets. Valid in the US only.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
thetraveller
Climber of the riggings
# 11249

- Posted      Profile for thetraveller   Email thetraveller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all. Have now read "The books the Church Suppressed" I thought it would be quite boring originally, but it turned out to be quite good and informative, all be it from a biased view point. For those who don't want to go back 2 pages, I thought that TDVC was Ok, a good adventure romp if you like, but wanted to get perspective on the so called "history". The problem for me is that books that take history and information out of context like TDVC tend to be more exciting to read than ones that stick to the facts.

[ 13. May 2006, 14:02: Message edited by: thetraveller ]

--------------------
mmm... why did I come in here again??

Posts: 106 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
  • 1 - I have not read it.
  • 2 - Channel 4 had a re-run of this tonight.
  • 3 - I will not read it. [Razz]

(but I've got to do a column for the Parish Rag about it [Frown] )

Q.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

- Posted      Profile for The Weeder   Author's homepage   Email The Weeder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Q.

--------------------
Still missing the gator

The Weeder
Shipmate
# 11321

quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

Q.

OK, I made a mistake and posted the quote without adding my comment. Sorry.
Now, 'Preacher', how can you claim your screen name, that of a wise thinker, and not bother to read something which is the subject of so much interest, which leads to lots of discussion with people who know you are a Christian and want a Christian opinion, but an informed one, and which you plan to write about?

--------------------
Still missing the gator

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My local Chapters store had it shelved in "True Crime" at one point. I noticed this while having coffee there with a friend and almost went insane and had to be held down.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tumphouse:
'Preacher', how can you claim your screen name, that of a wise thinker, and not bother to read something which leads to lots of discussion with people who know you are a Christian and want a Christian opinion, but an informed one

(in no particular order)

• Because I've been asked to provide something
  • Because the copy deadline doesn't give me time to do primary research
  • Because I use trustworthy secondary sources
  • Because I have only 500 words
  • Because I don't want to make DB any richer
  • Because I'm not writing a full review
  • Because it isn't (yet) a "subject of so much interest" in the circles I move in
  • Because you make an unsupported assumption that the DVC "leads to lots of discussion with people who know {I am} a Christian and want a Christian opinion, but an informed one"
If the level of interest warrants it, I shall certainly read the book and/or see the film.

Q.

in list mode

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read the bit on the website and it is pretty dire. Nonetheless I do feel a strange kind of 'rubber-necking at an accident' need to read the rest of it.

My main observation (apart from the shocking dialogue) - it's Paris, Jim, but not as we know it. If he's staying at the Ritz (Place Vendôme), to get to the Louvre should be about a two-minute drive down the rue de Rivoli. Apparently it's a fair old fly through the Parisian night, with the police speeding as well (like that'd ever happen). Whatever route did they take? [Eek!] [Confused]

I also had to titter about religion in France being a birth right that you display to everyone. Is this some strange parallel France that I know not of????

Dame en Rouge x

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a rehashing of several of my posts from previous DVC threads. Apologies for any editing mistakes.

SPOILERS

Well, to start off:

I loved this book. It was very well-written, it was fun, it had historical mysteries, archaeology, adventure, spirituality, romance, character depth, and puzzles!

I think my favorite character was Silas, oddly enough. That poor man was really trying to do the Right Thing--but he was so abused and used that he really couldn't. I was so glad he found peace at the last.

I don't know whether the ideas in the book are true, but I don't think they're absolutely impossible or implausible.

If I may suggest:

If you do read the book, put aside everything you've heard about it. Just get into the story.

I'd heard some intriguing mentions of it on the radio, and got on the library's waiting list. By the time I got the book, I'd totally forgotten what it was about--and having just waded through "Foucault's Pendulum", I wasn't sure I wanted to read *anything*. But I jumped in, and really enjoyed the book.

You don't have to believe any of the ideas to enjoy the story. Heck, you can root for characters who don't believe the ideas!

If you truly can't tolerate questions, then don't read the book. But if you can...enjoy!

To which a shipmate replied:

quote:
See, now right there that sounds like a great book review! (You should consider writing the inside of the dust-cover.)
One reason DVC is so popular is that it feeds certain hungers. Not just for conspiracy theories, or puzzles, or alternate history…but for the Feminine.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Mary Magdalene. She’s the only approachable woman in the gospels. She’s human. She traveled with Jesus and the disciples, she was the Apostle of the Resurrection, and she was Jesus’ friend.

There is not one word in the Bible that suggests she was a prostitute. It certainly looks like she was labeled as such in order to defame her.

As I mentioned earlier, DVC was exactly what I needed at the time I read it. I’d just slogged through “Foucault’s Pendulum”. What a desperately bleak and verbose book! Ten words where one would have been much better. IMHO, editing out 2/3 of the book and rearranging the rest would make for a huge improvement. As would the possibility of some hope! It was extremely depressing.

FP was such a horrible experience for me that I didn’t want to read anything else, ever again—and I’m a bookworm! But my turn came to get the library’s reserved copy of DVC—and it was a breath of fresh air. No, it’s not high literature—but that’s not what I needed at the time. It was a light, fun, adventurous read; it honored Mary Magdalene and the sacred feminine, and it was full of interesting ideas and puzzles. (I love playing with ideas.)

Sure, the characters could’ve had more depth. (Oddly, Silas had the most depth, and I did feel for the poor guy.) But the book went at a good pace, and I thought DB was smart to write it in such a way that it could easily be translated into a film.

If you want something a little more literary, try DB’s “Angels & Demons”. Also Katherine Neville’s “The Eight”, “The Rule of 4” by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason, “The Seville Communion” by Arturo Perez-Reverte, and Steven Kotler’s “The Angle Quickest For Flight”. WARNING: they’re all rather haunting.

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horatio Harumph
Shipmate
# 10855

- Posted      Profile for Horatio Harumph     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After many sighs of "not going to read it" I have found my self succombing to pressure, and having had the book handed to me from friend I am just started out on the read.

Anyone else just starting/half way through?

I know I am incredibly late ; oh well.

At least I will feel more able to contribute once I have read the thing.

L

--------------------
www.helenblogs.com
@helen_a13

Chocolate is proof that God wants us to be happy.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

quote:
Originally posted by artichoke:
Hi there, I was recommended by one of your other posters to pop on here and share a response which I have written to The Da Vinci Code. I'm sure you're swamped with resources, but maybe you'd like it...

Da Vinci Response PDF

There will also be a talk online on the media page soon, but all of the material and more is covered in the document, so that's probably the better resource to check out.

Hope you find it helpful!

Liam

Moved from closed thread

L.

DVC Board Host

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016