homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » The Da Vinci Blunders. (Errors in the Plot) (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Da Vinci Blunders. (Errors in the Plot)
Pewgilist
Shipmate
# 3445

- Posted      Profile for Pewgilist   Author's homepage   Email Pewgilist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite blunder: repeated references to "the Vatican" doing this and that in the 4th century. No matter that the Pope didn't take up residence there until the 1800's.

I've avoided the book like the plague, even after several people have pressed me for my opinion. But when my Dad said "Have you read this? It's great! I learned alot that I didn't know about." and handed me his copy. So I'm halfway through and already have twelve pages of notes on inaccuracies, gramatical flaws, mistaken words ("portly and ruby-faced"; _ruby_ faced?) and just plain silliness. I'm not sure that I will actually finish the book.

--------------------
--

Pewgilist
Hamilton, Ontario

Posts: 126 | From: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pewgilist
Shipmate
# 3445

- Posted      Profile for Pewgilist   Author's homepage   Email Pewgilist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the hell, my second-favourite blunder, too:

"May the peace of the Lord be with you"
"And also with you."

This exhange being between to Francophones. Only in English do we have the asinine "and also with you" instead of "and with your spirit."

Doesn't Anchor Books employ editors?

--------------------
--

Pewgilist
Hamilton, Ontario

Posts: 126 | From: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Diocese of Brownsville lists 14 errors, of which my favorite is
quote:
9. Brown claims Leonardo’s Mona Lisa painting is an anagram for the pagan gods Amon and Isis. Leonardo, however, called his painting La Giaconda, after the subject, who was the wife a Florentine businessman, Francesco da Giacondo. (Mona is a contraction of Madonna, and Lisa was Francesco’s wife’s name.)
More pointedly - all the anagrams and such like are in English. WTF? Leonardo spoke modern English?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTEmistaken words ("portly and ruby-faced"; _ruby_ faced?) and just plain silliness. I'm not sure that I will actually finish the book. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Sadly... Mr Brown is still be an idiot, but a serendipitous one.

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
More pointedly - all the anagrams and such like are in English. WTF? Leonardo spoke modern English?

This was the thought that struck me after my question about 'so dark the con of man'. Are we missing something, or is it really that fatuous?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
9. Brown claims Leonardo’s Mona Lisa painting is an anagram for the pagan gods Amon and Isis. Leonardo, however, called his painting La Giaconda, after the subject, who was the wife a Florentine businessman, Francesco da Giacondo. (Mona is a contraction of Madonna, and Lisa was Francesco’s wife’s name.)
Good points, although I have to admit that the Diocese of Brownsville's particular method of "answering" the Da Vinci Code (similar to that being used in my own church at the moment) makes me want to rush out and buy the book and see the movie even though I think it's crap, just because I so hate it when the church tells us what to read and watch.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was suspending my disbelieve and enjoying the story until my knowledge of French caught up with me. The Fleur-de-lis is not a lily at all. (Many people make this mistake since the French word for lily is lis.)

The "lis" in Fleur-de-Lis is short for Louis. It was Louis(the King of France)'s flower (not Lisa's which is the theoretical connection to the Mona Lisa in the book) and it's an Iris. In particular Louis' flower is a yellow Iris/Yellow flag.

If you look at the Fleur-de-lis, which being Canadian I have had a number of opportunities to do so (there are 4 on the flag of Quebec), you'll see it looks far more like an Iris than a lily.

[Incidently: The Iris is also said to be a symbol of the trinity with it's three petals facing up to heaven and three facing down to earth.]

Okay, now that I've gotten that off my chest maybe I can go back to suspending my disbelieve. If I can also get over the fact that Job 38:11 contains rather more than seven words [brick wall]

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dumb question, but does the Louvre really have bars of soap? I haven't seen this in a public place for, oh, ages. They all have those useless liquid soap dispensers that leak everywhere.

Of course, it would have seriously screwed up the Escape if Sophie had had to wrap the tracking dot in a wad of wet toilet paper.

[ 31. May 2006, 03:24: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes the English anagrams were annoying weren't they ?

Surely it should have been pomme not apple if the codex was made by Sophie's grand master. Also how did it take them so long to work out the last clue for apple - it was extremely obvious.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pewgilist
Shipmate
# 3445

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

Surely it should have been pomme not apple if the codex was made by Sophie's grand master. Also how did it take them so long to work out the last clue for apple - it was extremely obvious.

Well, I didn't find it obvious. But then, I don't expect apples to have "rosy flesh." Here in Canada, our apples have white or yellow flesh.

--------------------
--

Pewgilist
Hamilton, Ontario

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I've missed this in my quick review of the thread, I apologise.

On a recent UK TV programme, an academic made the following observation about "San Greal" (Holy Grail) being code for "Sang Real" (Royal Blood). He said that in the medieval French in which the Sangreal phrase was claimed to be used, what was actually said was "Sangraal" - where "graal" means a vessel. The emergence of "greal" instead of "graal" arose as a result of a 15th century English mishearing or mistranslating. So the transfer of "g" from the beginning of "graal" to the end of "san" simply does have the same meaning in the original medieval french. "Graal" = vessel but "raal" does not = royal.

Which of course makes that whole line of argument a complete historical anachronism. There was an interesting response in the TV programme from one of the book addicts on hearing this devastating criticism. Something along the lines of "so you say. Well, I've got my own opinion .." Nice shot of completely flabbergasted expert on seeing reason trumped by the power of conspiracy theory.

Anyway, I think that is a huge blunder in the plot line.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have I got this right?

1. Pre-Constantine Christianity was actually quite pagan in practice.

2. Constantine was a pagan emperor, not Christian.

3. The conflict between pre-Constantine Christianity and paganism was tearing the Roman empire apart [what were they fighting about?]

Therefore

4. The pagan Constantine, combined pagan Christianity with paganism and came up with a religion that was profoundly anti-pagan.

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Have I missed something? I've looked through this several times, but I can't make MONA LISA an anagram of AMON and ISIS. Surely to get the right letters you'd have to do something daft like:

MONA LISA IS <=> AMON ISIS AL

I wonder where the pagan god Al has been hiding all this time! Please tell me if I'm being really stupid - I just can't see that anagram at all.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other stuff that pisses off the editor in me:

1. How come the man can't keep King Saul (of Benjamin) and King Solomon (of Judah, through his father David, also of Judah, duh!) straight? Buy the idiot an encyclopedia.

2. In the paintings variously titled "Madonna/Virgin of the Rocks" (one in the Louvre, one in London, I think?)--

Brown consistently mixes up baby Jesus and baby John. I mean, hello? John is the elder, therefore bigger child. He is also the one who traditionally carried a reed cross. And Da Vinci correctly shows him with his hands in a praying position.

Jesus is the younger baby seated by the angel, fingers lifted in a gesture of teaching / blessing. There is absolutely no reason to mix the two children up except the lazy assumption that any baby Mary has her arm around must be Christ.

Oh, and that angel--his hand is NOT in a "blade-like" position. He's got his index finger out pointing at the cross. Maybe we can buy Brown some glasses as well.

3. Who ever heard of a quick death by stomach acid leaking into the abdomen? A gunshot wound to the stomach is much more likely to result in a quick death from internal bleeding and shock, or else a slow death from peritonitis. I don't think the acids figure into it at all.

4. Why are the experts such chumps when it comes to identifying the mirror handwriting? I've known that about Da Vinci since I was eight years old.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it's not like mirror handwriting is such a horribly difficult thing. I taught myself how to do it when I was in school, and used it to sign yearbooks. I can read it nearly as fast as foreward handwriting. Maybe I'm as weird as Leonard. Anybody want to front me venture capital for this new tank I've developed?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure, but only if you promise to quit hanging out with that Medici crowd.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

The Om
Shipmate
# 2318

- Posted      Profile for The Om   Email The Om   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Of course, it would have seriously screwed up the Escape if Sophie had had to wrap the tracking dot in a wad of wet toilet paper.

And if Dan Brown can make a transmitter that small able to send its position to a satellite I have a multi-billion dollar satellite phone deal for him. GPS satellites only ever transmit positioning signals, they don't receive. It's the portable receiver that does the position calculation. And they don't get anywhere near as small as a watch battery (the antenna, for one thing, restricts the size). And what's the power source for this device?
Posts: 96 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma-Jean:
The "lis" in Fleur-de-Lis is ... an Iris.

Which, of course, rhymes with "Isis"..... coincidence?

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:

To be fair, Sophie's grandfather always encouraged her to speak English (which is why the Louvre anagrams were in English) and on p. 403 he writes:

quote:
The Priory, like many European secret societies at odds with the Church, had considered English the only European pure language for centuries. Unlike French, Spanish and Italian, which were rooted in Latin -- the tongue of the Vatican English was linguistically removed from Rome's propaganda machine, and therefore became a sacred, secret tongue for those brotherhoods educated enough to learn it

(Bold mine, italics Brown's)

So he does attempt to explain why the anagrams are in English. However, the flaws in the argument are immense! English pure? It might be Germanic not Italic, but it's borrowed so much from French and Latin over the years, it has a tremendously Latinate vocabulary. And I bolded only because that is absolute garbage. There are plenty of non-Italic European languages (the Celtic ones, the other Germanic ones, Slavic etc) and if you really wanted a pure language wouldn't you be better off with Finnish, Hungarian or Basque which aren't even Indo-European? Finnish and Hungarian being Fino-Ugric and Basque unrelated to anything as far as we know! The anagrams are in English because Dan Brown is American and writing in English!

Other innaccuracies I found:
p. 514
quote:

Sir Isaac Newton's burial, attended by kings and nobles, was presided over by Alexander Pope, friend and colleague, who gave a stirring eulogy before sprinkling dirt on the tomb

My mum asked what was Pope doing taking a funeral when he wasn't a minister of religion. So I googled Isaac Newton Funeral and found the London Gazette's description of Newton's funeral, apparently the `the Office was performed by the Bishop of Rochester attended by the Prebends and Choir.' Now I didn't know that Alexander Pope (the son of Roman Catholics) was bishop of Rochester!

Then, Roslin. Comes from Rose line does it? And it's on the sight of a Mithraic temple, and presumably quite early. So why does it have a place name based on English elements? It's far more likely to be a Brittonic placename as the area round Edinburgh was the territory of the Gododdin (which is also the name of one of the earliest Welsh poems!) who were Britons. Especially because both Ros and lin look like Welsh placename elements to me. Lin is, I guess modern Welsh Llyn `lake' and Ros would be Rhos which has two headwords in Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru the first of which is a borrowing from Latin, rosapossibly via English or French and does mean rose. The second has Breton, Cornish and Irish cognates and comes, via Celtic, from an Indo-European root. and means, moor, high meadow and is a common placename element! Though looking at the map, there isn't a lake nearby, so perhaps I need to do a bit more checking.

He also claims that Roslin Chapel is on the same meridian as Glastonbury. A few minutes with Streetmap taught me that Roslin Chapel's Longitude is W3:09:36* and Glastonbury's is W2:42:52 which isn't the same Meridian!

Oh, and our Lady (about whom he talks of French minsitrels singing) is surely, the BVM not Mary Magdalene and it is she who is the Mystic Rose too. Oddly she gets no mention at all!

Carys

*First I got W3:08:42 which was for where streetmap went when I chose Roslin chapel, place of interest, but then I moved the arrow to point at the cross by where it said chapel!

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Om
Shipmate
# 2318

- Posted      Profile for The Om   Email The Om   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carys is half correct about the naming of Roslin - the 'ross' means 'promontory'. Interestingly it's named as "formerly St Matthew's Collegiate Church" on the 1854 map.
Posts: 96 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Om:
Carys is half correct about the naming of Roslin - the 'ross' means 'promontory'. Interestingly it's named as "formerly St Matthew's Collegiate Church" on the 1854 map.

Interesting. Penisula was noted in GPC as a possible meaning for the place name element rhos. Interesting that they take it as Gaelic though. It doesn't say when the earliest settlement is.

Carys

--------------------

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Carys,
Lothian (or at least it's elite) was Gaelic-speaking for a while after it was taken from the Anglians by the Malcolm II at the battle of Carham in 1018. There are indeed Gaelic placenames in Lothian - along with earlier Welsh ones and Anglian ones.

L.

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

I know, but I'm intrigued as to why they think it dates from that period, hence my comment about the fact they don't give the date of first settlement. The form of the words could be Britonnic. But whether it's Brittonic or Goidelic, it certainly isn't from Rose Line as Brown claims!

Carys

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Just wondering... why the heck would anyone care about joining the alleged royal bloodlines of Mary M. and Jesus? I mean, the whole point of a bloodline, particularly one that is being actively "improved" through a breeding cross, is that you expect it to produce something spectacular IN THE FUTURE--something that will outdo the original breeders, stars though they were (here J and M). But as far as the book goes, the bloodline apparently produces a handful of Merovingian kings (yawn, we've plenty of those around) and then dives underground until it surfaces in the truly spectacular.... Sophie?

Pardon me for being underwhelmed.

--------------------

Egeria
Shipmate
# 4517

- Posted      Profile for Egeria     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Commenting on Emma-Jean's post regarding the Iris, Dyfrig said:
quote:
Which, of course, rhymes with "Isis"..... coincidence?

Well, um, no, it doesn't. The final "s" of Isis is a Greek case ending; in her native language, so to speak, only the first "s" is present.

See why it pays to study Coptic? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sound bodies lined / with a sound mind / do here pursue with might / grace, honor, praise, delight."--Rabelais

Posts: 314 | From: Berkeley, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jimbo the Rooster
Apprentice
# 8489

- Posted      Profile for Jimbo the Rooster   Email Jimbo the Rooster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me or does Brown glibly refer to the Dead Sea Scrolls as historically backing up the non-divine nature of Christ? Despite the fact that the Dead Sea Scrolls contain exclusively OT scripture (possibly apocrypha stuff too, i'm not sure...).

It was painful to read it, you get the feeling that if the book had been about anything else, the copy editors would have thrown it at him. But it becomes essential reading when it works its way into secular canon and you hear these "facts" being spouted by your friends as if they had researched it themselves. That's why we have canon, for crying out loud!!

*stamps tiny foot*

--------------------
humbling along without a care in the world...

Posts: 3 | From: Northumberland | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I vaguely recall something like that, but I think if I got the actual text out, we'd find it was one of those weaselly references where he didn't actually in so many words say so, just implied the hell out of it. You know, like this:

Policeman: Were you aware you were doing 90 in a 35 mph zone?

Driver: I'm sorry sir, my wife is having a baby [ in about two more months ].

ETA: Welcome to the Ship!

[ 30. June 2006, 12:59: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A nice one is Godfrey de Bouillon instructing the Knights Templars to remove the evidence that he was descended from Mary Mag and J.C. from the Temple of Solomon (quite why it would be kept there when the descendants had been living in France, since the first century AD is a mystery). Unfortunately the Order of the Temple wasn't founded until 18 years after Godfrey's death.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016