homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Jumping on the bandwagon

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Jumping on the bandwagon
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I would post this here as it connects Dan Brown to Leonardo yet again, so please bear with me.

In yesterday's Metro (free local paper distributed on the Tube) there was an article about a new book by Clive Prince and Lynn Picknett claiming that Leonardo fabricated the Turin Shroud and confessed to the forgery in code (but of course). Dan Brown has apparently credited their previous work with helping him write TDVC.

They base their theory on a disputed painting of the Salvator Mundi, here, saying that this corresponds with the face on the Shroud. They also claim that it is Leonardo's self-portrait.

Now, these people have been trying to prove since 1994 that Leonardo created the Shroud. What I don't understand is this - there is documentary evidence that the Shroud was being exhibited in the 1350s if not before; Leonardo was born in 1452. Are people really so dumb? Or did the good Doctor pick up Leonardo in his Tardis one day and drop him off a century or two earlier?

Whatever you think of the Shroud (and I think it is worth continuing doing proper research into it, as do an army of forensic scientists and others) is this not just example of publicity-seeking morons who are trying to make a quick buck?

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definitely the Tardis. He made it himself, he was quite a clever bloke really. He has now moved forward in time to the present to claim royalties for all the silly books people keep writing about him.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I reviewed their previous book actually, on Mary Magdalene, and said it was the stupidest book I'd ever read.

I think I got rid of it, which is a shame because I'd like to see if it answers Amethyst's question, but I couldn't imagine any further use for it at the time. Shows how wrong you can be.

Note to self: never get rid of anything again.

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SteveTom

I have a useful filing category. (Heard about it in a film somewhere sometime). Its called "File this crap under 'Crap'". Crap is sometimes useful as a dreadful warning. Dont know this book, but it sounds like it's crap. So filed. Presumptuous, I know, but time constraints require judgment.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Trouble is we know it’s all crap but people believe it. I remember standing on a Tube platform with an ex-colleague and only just finding out then that she had a copy of TDVC. I tried telling her it was all bollocks, but her train came in just then and her last words were ‘Hmm, but there must be something in it…’ And this was an intelligent girl, who didn’t suffer fools or foolishness lightly.

So with all these new books coming out to coincide with the DVC film I guess we have more of the same to come. Puts me in mind of the ‘Paul McCartney is dead’ saga. Most of the so-called clues to his demise, such as the ones on the Sgt Pepper album cover, are just as daft as the DVC ones.

Steve Tom: 30+ years as a civil servant taught me never to throw anything away...

[ 20. April 2006, 10:58: Message edited by: Amethyst ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good point Amethyst. I posted this quote somewhere else, thinking it was Lewis, but somebody told me it was Chesterton.

quote:
"When people stop believing in God, they dont start believing in nothing. They start believing in anything!" Or words to that effect.
Trouble is that Christians (and members of other faith communities) get tagged with the notion that we are credulous fools who need a crutch. I quote another Lewis-ism. "Try being sceptical about something else".

BTW I was a Civil Servant for over 30 years too. Damn, just blown another hole in my UK credibility. You know the notion I'm sure. "Couldn't get a proper job, eh?" I also tell folks who think that to "try being sceptical about something else".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
quote:
"When people stop believing in God, they dont start believing in nothing. They start believing in anything!" Or words to that effect.
Trouble is that Christians (and members of other faith communities) get tagged with the notion that we are credulous fools who need a crutch.
Chesterton told a story about once being in a group of people where he was the only Christian. After the atheists had derided Christianity for awhile, the conversation moved on to luck. Everyone there except Chesterton either produced a lucky object or described a procedure that brought him luck. They seemed unaware of the incongruity.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
<snip>
BTW I was a Civil Servant for over 30 years too. Damn, just blown another hole in my UK credibility. You know the notion I'm sure. "Couldn't get a proper job, eh?" I also tell folks who think that to "try being sceptical about something else".

Oh yes, indeed. I was often asked 'But what do you do?' They thought we just sat around drinking tea all day. The very idea!

--------------------

Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ISTR that the Metro story alleged that Salvator Mundi was Da Vinci's only confirmed picture of Jesus.

Last Supper, anyone?

T.

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Aunt used to work at a book binders which produced a massive range books like this. When they produced too many copies of a book they threw them into a skip which the staff could then help themselves to. Because I’m ‘religious’ she used to get me loads of this sort of thing. I can boast a full shelf of hardback books containing conspiracy theories about ancient Egypt, aliens, where Jesus was really buried etc, all of them are absolute crap. The trouble is it gives the impression that there are a lot of reasons to reject any form of Christian faith. There probably are reasons but they are not to be found in silly books.

Has anyone else noticed that these people often put the fact that they have a PhD in bigger letters than their own name as if this gives the book more credibility?

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

Although I will regret it, I am interested in Renaissance art enough to want to know more about this Salvator Mundi ‘proof’. The picture is disputed, and as far as I know has been variously attributed to Leonardo, or his pupil Salai, or to be someone’s copy of Leonardo’s original.

I wonder what happened to Eric von Daniken? You must all remember him – I think in his version of events Jesus was a cosmic master from some distant galaxy, but I could be wrong. Oh – I just remembered, the Templars have his mummified head in Templecombe in Somerset. Jesus’s head that is, not Eric von Daniken’s.

--------------------

Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

His spectre lives on in the writings of Alan Alford. Try “gods of the new millennium” for an entertaining read.

--------------------

Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:
Has anyone else noticed that these people often put the fact that they have a PhD in bigger letters than their own name as if this gives the book more credibility?

I always wonder, "What sort of crappy, tinpot university actually gave you one of those, you claptrap-spouting numbskull?"

[ 20. April 2006, 23:27: Message edited by: dinghy sailor ]

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dinghy sailor:
quote:
Originally posted by Gextvedde:

I always wonder, "What sort of crappy, tinpot university actually gave you one of those, you claptrap-spouting numbskull?"
I assume it was for a thesis entitled How to get the maximum and most profitable publicity at the expense of the terminally gullible from the Media Studies Department of Braindead Polytechnic.

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"PhD" means "piled higher and deeper." Make of it what you will.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
TomOfTarsus
Shipmate
# 3053

- Posted      Profile for TomOfTarsus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've also heard "Pathetic, humorless dullard" and "Post-hole digger."

But yours is the most appropriate for the setting, seeing as it is preceeded in the US academic sequence for the sciences by "Bachelor of Science" (BS) and "Master of Science" (MS).

Again, use your fertile (sic) imaginations!

Blessings,

Tom

--------------------
By grace are ye saved through faith... not of yourselves; it is the gift of God; not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath ... ordained that we should walk in them.

Posts: 1570 | From: Pittsburgh, PA USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016