homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Hidden Code in the Book?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Hidden Code in the Book?
John Eccker
Apprentice
# 11305

- Posted      Profile for John Eccker   Email John Eccker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm almost finished with the book (first time reader), and along the way I've noticed several things that seemed strangely out of place. I was wondering if perhaps there is a code hidden in the book itself - part of a game created by the author. I looked around the web for other info on this, but couldn't find any.

Two of the most prominent ones I've found are (and these are from the mass market paperback - the normal paperback-sized edition, with "Now a major motion picture" on the cover and spine):

Page 138, halfway down the page: "Tearing it open, she found four Paris phone numbers." The whole book is in Times New Roman font, but the word "numbers" in this sentence is in some kind of gothic script. Not something that would slip in there accidentally - it's not even something that should be bold or italic or underined in this sentence.

Page 322. The page number is actually listed as three asterisks: ***. I flipped through the books, and didn't find this anywhere else.

There are a few other things that I found - verbs that are in the plural instead of the correct singular, repetition of some information where it's clearly not needed for the story, etc. Things that I thought would certainly have been corrected during the editing process.

So. Am I reading too much into this? Getting too involved in the clue hunt that he's created? Or is there a game hidden in the book (and I simply failed to search for the proper things on the web). I'm sure if there IS something there, I'm most certainly not the first one to mention it. So I'm leaning more toward the "reading too much into it" theory.

Cheers!

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Get out in the fresh air, and breathe, frequently. Before your brain melts.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

- Posted      Profile for koffshun   Email koffshun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear.

It's not in the version I read. Although this was probably a test, like the one where an e-mail tells you it's impossible to lick your own elbow and then scrolls down to say:

"Ha ha! I bet you're trying right now. Doofus!"

Well, I'm a self-confessed doofus and I checked and the paperback I've got has nothing special. Maybe it's the American publishing company cashing in on the already rampant paranoia of a market who also bought The Bible Code 2 (as if the first didn't say enough).

I don't think a man who couldn't be bothered to check the veracity of even basic facts (check out the 'Blunders' thread) would have constructed his own conspiracy.

He's too busy writing one about an Armenian baker descended from pirates whose ancient family loaf crumbles 300 years to the day after his ancestor's boat sank, revealing a map to the true position of the Tree in the Garden of Eden. Aided only with his daughter (who happens to have a degree in Pirate Studies) an iPod with a hidden message and a snake whose bloodline stems from the original Genesis snake, he must race against time before the Tree is chopped down by American landscape artists, threatening the safety of all mankind.

Posts: 127 | From: south of england | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
AnglicanAvenger
Apprentice
# 11252

- Posted      Profile for AnglicanAvenger   Email AnglicanAvenger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
koffshun, I think you have a bestseller, provided you have no sense of shame. But you can't use Armenia without references to the Flood. [Razz]

--------------------
"Suddenly, a clergyman was defenestrated - 'That is a sign,' thought M___ C___ 'I shall terrify the underworld in the black robes of a priest'

Posts: 36 | From: Boulder, Colorado, USA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you suppose we could have a mass Ship effort to write one of these *ahem* books, and donate all the moola to the Organ Fund?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by koffshun:
Oh dear.

He's too busy writing one about an Armenian baker descended from pirates whose ancient family loaf crumbles 300 years to the day after his ancestor's boat sank, revealing a map to the true position of the Tree in the Garden of Eden. Aided only with his daughter (who happens to have a degree in Pirate Studies) an iPod with a hidden message and a snake whose bloodline stems from the original Genesis snake, he must race against time before the Tree is chopped down by American landscape artists, threatening the safety of all mankind.

[Paranoid] I'd make sure you safeguard the intellectual property rights of this synopsis. There are some folks out there who might steal your ideas, you know ... [Paranoid]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fear 'tis too late. It's posted on the Ship and is now copyright of the SoF.

Let this be a lesson to all aspiring authors.

FF

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But that's a non-exclusive copyright, isn't it? IE you also have copyright on it. Am I wrong?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

- Posted      Profile for koffshun   Email koffshun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. Until you guys took that brief synopsis seriously, I wouldn't have argued for copyright. Now maybe I should...

Or we lay down a challenge: the first Shipmate to write and sell a convincing version for publication buys a slap-up meal for everyone else. Sweet.

Braised snake meat on Armenian toast for me, with a nice Chianti.

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well at least it wasn't Dan Brown's liver with some fava beans ....and a nice Chianti. Ff-ff-ff-ff-ff

"Fly away little starling - fly, fly, fly"

Now that's real code.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

Damn it, you caught me. That was my reference!!
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cynics! [Roll Eyes]

There absolutely are codes built into DVC. If you miss those, you're missing half the fun. Check out the quest and challenge here. They're fun, requiring hard work, thinking outside the box, and possibly a magnifying glass. A basic book on codes is helpful, too.

The codes and secrets I'm familiar with are in and on the jacketed hardcover. I haven't read the paperback; but based on glancing at the cover and the ads, there seem to be codes on the cover.

IIRC, there's a detailed pic of the jacket available in one of the contests; I don't remember which one.

Have fun!!! [Big Grin]

Mwahahahahaha!

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Do you suppose we could have a mass Ship effort to write one of these *ahem* books, and donate all the moola to the Organ Fund?

Go for it! DB started writing novels after reading an airport novel and deciding he could do better.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd rather do some letterboxing than search the DVC book for hidden code; at least then I get some fresh air and exercise.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

With more time to reflect, I'm intrigued as to what people might imagine a hidden code in TDVC might possibly point towards...

...perhaps the bank account all his royalties are gathering interest in.

Does anyone believe that there are "secrets" out there, which are still being kept and handed on by a small number of elect people?

I find it hard to believe. Humans being indiscreet people as a rule!

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With more time to reflect, I'm intrigued as to what people might imagine a hidden code in TDVC might possibly point towards...

My guess: free movie tickets.

I suspect many of the clues you note were not in the copy that I read, which was printed before it was to become a "major motion picture" (but I'm not going to borrow it again to check.) As for such things as
quote:
... verbs that are in the plural instead of the correct singular, repetition of some information where it's clearly not needed for the story ...
well, we could be charitable and just call it Dan Brown's style, I suppose.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or bad editing.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...or what Brown wants you to think.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

One word: Letterman!

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed more and more typos and errors in books as time goes on. I think perhaps they don't have human proofreaders anymore.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most typos and stupid errors I've ever seen were in books published in the 1940s-60s. I think it just means that the proofreader was having a bad day.

On the subject of hidden codes and conspiracies, how about this? The judge in the plagiarism case has hidden his own (apparently rather simple) code in the written judgement.
quote:
Mr Justice Smith said he would confirm the code if someone broke it.

"I can't discuss the judgement, but I don't see why a judgement should not be a matter of fun," he said.

[clarity]

[ 27. April 2006, 11:39: Message edited by: The Great Gumby ]

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

Ugh! Why didn't they have a link to the full judgement. I want in on this 'cracking the code' fun...

Justice Smith sounds like a laugh. I bet it says something like "Juror number 9 isn't wearing any underwear, tee hee"

koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

Sorry for the double post, it seems they DO have a link on the right hand side [Hot and Hormonal]

ssshhh. I'm finding out hidden secrets.

The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will you let us in on the secret once you find it, Koffshun? I don't have the time to wade through the whole thing right now.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stumbling Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 7637

- Posted      Profile for Stumbling Pilgrim   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw those italic letters when I read through it on the link someone kindly provided when the judgement came out, but I thought 'nah - can't be' [Roll Eyes] . Maybe I should have the courage of my convictions more often. And maybe judges should have fun more often!

According to this , though, there's more to it than just finding the letters. Apparently you only have to read through to about page 18 though, Gumby. So - who's going to be the first Shipmate to crack the code? (not me, that's for sure, I'm useless at this stuff)

--------------------
Stumbling in the Master's footsteps as best I can.

Posts: 492 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Maniple
Shipmate
# 2237

- Posted      Profile for Maniple   Author's homepage   Email Maniple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The "Smithy Code" has been cracked.

The Times story

Not as exciting as many of the conspiracy people wanted.

--------------------
No Maniple, No Mass.
Better Together.

Posts: 178 | From: La Casa del Caffe Tazza d'Oro | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? That story doesn't give a solution, it only says what the first several (cleartext) letters say, not what the next 30 or so coded letters say.

[ETA: Ah, yes, Maniple's right. Here's a CNN story with the answer.]

[ 28. April 2006, 15:03: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

This story gives the solution

--------------------

koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

I missed several of the letters and spent a few hours screaming at my piece of paper last night... didn't get it and kind of glad i didn't - would have been severely disappointed, as i am now!
Maniple
Shipmate
# 2237

- Posted      Profile for Maniple   Author's homepage   Email Maniple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
Huh? That story doesn't give a solution, it only says what the first several (cleartext) letters say, not what the next 30 or so coded letters say.

Sorry I posted the wrong URL I had open the New York Times piece what I meant to post was the proper Times (well not sure how proper it can be called now it's the sister paper of the Sun (as I read recently in that tabloid (The Sun that is!))).

--------------------
No Maniple, No Mass.
Better Together.

Posts: 178 | From: La Casa del Caffe Tazza d'Oro | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016