homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Church militant (What Should Christians do?)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Church militant (What Should Christians do?)
GeoffH
Shipmate
# 133

- Posted      Profile for GeoffH   Email GeoffH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK so we believe that TDVC is a load of old Cobblers. The film is due out in theUK next month what should the church or individual christians do?

1. Get the churches to write to the cinema manager saying that as christians we are greatly offended by the film and please would they stop showing it (fat Chance)
2. Ask for free advertising to advertise the books that de-bunk book/film

3. Picket the cinema with leaftlets advertising the books that debunk book/film.

4...er that's it

[ 17. May 2006, 21:05: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Geoff H - an unreconstructed proddy

Posts: 305 | From: UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
A Feminine Force
Ship's Onager
# 7812

- Posted      Profile for A Feminine Force   Author's homepage   Email A Feminine Force   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Laugh it into insignificance. It's the only remedy against anyone or anything that takes itself too seriously. If you treat it like you take it seriously, you're only adding gravitas by dignifying it with a response.

And always remeber what the great Abe Lincoln said: He who argues with a fool is at risk of being taken for one.

FF

(clarity)

[ 26. April 2006, 15:35: Message edited by: A Feminine Force ]

--------------------
C2C - The Cure for What Ails Ya?

Posts: 2115 | From: Kingdom of Heaven | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Number 2 if anything, but don't count on anyone being even remotely interested. I was sickened to discover recently that my church is trying to tell the Theatre Royal in Norwich that they shouldn't show Jerry Springer: The Opera. Objecting to anything like that on the basis of your own opinion of it, in any but the most ridiculously extreme cases, is very unhelpful and counterproductive. For one thing, it raises issues of freedom of speech (going back to cartoons of Mohammad), and for another, it makes you look like a petty, narrow-minded little bigot whose God is too small to look after himself.

I'd say, don't give them the attention. Take a leaf out of ++Rowan's book, and be prepared to forensically (and scornfully, if you want) dissect the ridiculous ideas of the book and film. No one can possibly be ignorant of the fact that the Church would disagree with most of the central themes of the book, so why waste your breath making a big fuss about it? If you're going to do anything, why not arrange a few evenings at church where you can explore TDVC, discuss its main claims in small groups, and share ideas of how to easily and effectively demonstrate that they're false.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tell everyone it's a novel, not the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

And wonder why everyone doesn't get equally upset when their children perform fanciful Nativity plays at Christmas ('The Woodcutter and the Dove', 'The fourth Wise Man', 'Meredith the Camel') which are equally as free with the gospel version.

Then put your feet up and enjoy the film.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4. Don't go. Don't spend money on the book, don't buy merchandise. The only thing that Hollywood understands is money.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
koffshun
Shipmate
# 11227

- Posted      Profile for koffshun   Email koffshun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about you, but I'm offended by the ignorant people who act upon said bollocks of TDVC, not the film/book itself.

It's true, Dan Brown did claim that the documents mentioned in the book are real, but it is found in the Fiction section of the bookshop/library and not Religion.

I love watching Ian McKellan, Audrey Tatou, Tom Hanks, Jean Reno, Paul Bettany et al. act, so I will definitely not give it a miss simply because the content is slightly dodgy. (I adored Sin City, but wouldn't imagine a large number of my church congregation watching it let alone enjoying it and the morals of that particular film are not very 'Christian', I would still recommend it)

Censoring something always draws more attention than necessary and will not aid the Christian 'cause'. (cf. Hermione's actions regarding Harry's Interview in Order of the Phoenix for another fictional reference!)

I have always harboured resentment against my local church community for making sure that The Reduced Shakespeare company were not allowed to perform "The Reduced Bible" in our town. W***ers.

I'm all for debunking the book, but not in the desperate way you're suggesting. It would be far more likely to harm your intentions than help them. Besides, I'm appalled at how many people watch films so passively that the content matters less than whether they had coke or popcorn while watching. Many may not even notice any blasphemy that TDVC propounds.

Those who do decide to abandon their faith because of watching the film had a faith built on sand to begin with...

Posts: 127 | From: south of england | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about going to see it but only if you’re prepared to act as if you’re still 14? Some examples:

Start a popcorn fight
Spend the entire movie snogging in the back row.
Laugh at completely inappropriate moments (If there are any)
Draw on the neck of the person in front of you.
Offer a stranger out for a fight because they looked at you funny.
Shout the word “shit” during a quiet part.

Perhaps more seriously, personally I’m not really in favour of making complaints about the film. What are we complaining about? Because someone has a different opinion? Because it’s crap? Surely it’s better just to talk to people about it when it comes up in conversation.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrahamR
Shipmate
# 11299

- Posted      Profile for GrahamR   Author's homepage   Email GrahamR   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy the Grove Booklet, Coded Messages: Evangelism and the Da Vinci Code and put on an outreach evening. You could even have flyers for it at the local cinema if they didn't mind!

The one advantage of the total (badly-written) drivel which is TDVC is that it has got people thinking about Christianity- let's make the most of it!

--------------------
My blog - theology, archaeology, science

Posts: 184 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by koffshun:

I have always harboured resentment against my local church community for making sure that The Reduced Shakespeare company were not allowed to perform "The Reduced Bible" in our town. W***ers.

The Reduced Bible was wonderful. And I was very impressed at the way the crucifixion was treated very seriously.
(Even if the resurrection involved the Easter Bunny! [Big Grin] )

Tell the people who criticise to go and see the film first and only criticise once they have done so.
I saw Jerry Springer the Opera, as well, and thought it was great fun!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a thing on the radio the other day about Winchester Cathedral having allowed parts of the film to be made there and now having an exhibition to debunk it. They were accused of hypocrisy of course, but it's interesting! They were taking the line of "it's a good thing if it raises interest".

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
smileyjo
Apprentice
# 11336

- Posted      Profile for smileyjo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know this would go down like a lead baloon in some churches but I would like to see Churches hosting evenings of showing the film when released on DVD and allowing space for questions and discussion after. Give space for everyone to explore their thoughts and the reasons for them. Mr Brown has such an obvious ulterior motive in the book, it would be nice if we could just give the facts as established by a wide range of historians and facilitate people to form their own opinions. I believe the true facts speak for themselves....
Posts: 4 | From: Lancashire | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Smileyjo, welcome to the ship. I think that’s a good idea. Why not try to arrange some key speakers, for and against, and then open it up for questions. I believe it’s much better to do some positive engagement with the film and peoples opinions rather than just condemn it.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
5. B-r-e-a-t-h-e!

FYI, I love the book. 30 years ago, I probably would've been livid about it, as I was about HBHG. But as I mentioned recently on the "Never Read It/Never Will" thread, it filled some important needs for me--and I found it a good read.

If you make a big fuss about DVC, you will convince people that there's something to it, that Christianity has something to hide. Do you really want to do that?

If you really want to "fight" DVC, you might want to think about why it's so popular. What needs does it fill? What important themes does it address?

Many DVC posts I've seen on the ship over the years come across as Christian hissy-fits. "Poor us. They criticized us! They don't like us. Oh, and they're stupid, too!"
[Roll Eyes]

Newsflash: Many people have been hurt by Christianity, never believed in Christianity, are ex-believers who feel they were sold a bill of goods, are sick to death of the way "the Church" treats women, are sick of the Church's abuse of temporal power (coverup of abuse comes to mind), and/or want the Church to get back to what Christianity at its best has always been known for and been good at--helping people in need, and helping people to live.

If you address that, you'll have something to say. If you don't address that, Christianity's problems run much deeper than DVC.

Read through Dan's site.

quote:
My hope for The Da Vinci Code was, in addition to entertaining people, that it might serve as an open door for readers to begin their own explorations and rekindle their interest in topics of faith.

quote:
Father John Sewell of St. John's Episcopal Church in Memphis stated it particularly eloquently in the press recently, saying: "This [novel] is not a threat. This is an opportunity. We are called to creatively engage the culture and this is what I want to do. I think Dan Brown has done me a favor. He's letting me talk about things that matter."

If someone talks to you about DVC, you can roll your eyes, say "it's fiction, you know", say "I loved this bit...where in the world did he come up with that?", ask "why did you like it", quietly discuss your own spiritual path. But do NOT go ballistic.
Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anybody explain to me what all the fuss is about?

I read the book last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it, sucker for entertaining fiction that I am. But I have to admit that I was prepared to be a bit more, well, shocked or at least surprised by what I read. Instead, I appreciated it as (in my opinion) a good read, and enjoyed the story. That was it.

I really can't understand why it's evoked this flurry of discussion and cries of dissent from the churches. I've read books that make far sillier claims about christianity than this one and no one batted an eye about them. What is it about this book that people seem to find so threatening?

While I was reading it, one of the impressions I got was that Dan Brown wrote bits of it with his tongue firmly in his cheek. Yes, some bits are written in such a way that (were you particularly impressionable) you might give them some credit, but other bits are so clearly taking the idea juat a step too far that its hard to believe that Mr Brown isn't sat in his office laughing at us all for taking it so so seriously.

Hate it cause it's badly written, hate it cause it's not your type of book, but for goodness sake, it's just a book, it's a work of fiction, nothing more. Ther are some things that are worth getting worked up about, and some that are not, and this is just not one of them.

Go read or see something else if it's not your kind of thing, i'll go to the cinema, hopefully enjoy the film, and be entertained.

LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
kempis3
Shipmate
# 9792

- Posted      Profile for kempis3         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A Feminine Force:
Laugh it into insignificance. It's the only remedy against anyone or anything that takes itself too seriously. If you treat it like you take it seriously, you're only adding gravitas by dignifying it with a response.

And always remeber what the great Abe Lincoln said: He who argues with a fool is at risk of being taken for one.

FF

(clarity)

Well said.

Those who have a strong faith ignore it.

Those without strong faith enter the argument.

Now, let's see who has not got a strong faith .......

Or perhaps those who wish to keep their institutional power ......

--------------------
Man plots -- God laughs.

Posts: 148 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scholar Gypsy
Shipmate
# 7210

- Posted      Profile for Scholar Gypsy   Email Scholar Gypsy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Block book seats for your church to see another film when it comes out. Persuade all the churches in your local area to do the same. Do it quietly without making a fuss. Make sure you pick a film made by a different company to that making TDVC.

Hollywood understands money, but it would, IMO, make more of an impact if some other film were making money, rather than people just not going i.e. no money being spent at all.

Posts: 822 | From: Oxford | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What should Christians do? Hmm. Tricky.

If you fancy the film, go see it.
If you don't, don't bother.
Just like any other fictional blockbuster.

It's fiction , people...

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016