homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Seen the film/going to see the film? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Seen the film/going to see the film?
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*Contains spoilers*

I went with an atheist friend of mine, basically she thought it was a not very good thriller. One basic problem being that she could not bring herself to care about the main motivation for the characters.

I didn't think it was very good, it is difficult to suspend your disbelief when they spout such rubbish. Like for example, 2000 years, who knows how many generations, and you only have one descendant ?

If the Priory of Sion couldn't be arsed to reveal the existence of the Grail it wouldn't be a threat to the RC church anyway. Also, the basic premise that the church would crumble if you could prove the existence of a bloodline is flawed. And why would those within the church who knew about the grail, care about keeping it secret - what is the point ? They could just revert to the historical model of a married priesthood.

Mohammed had descendants, their bickering and theological pronouncements led to some early schisms but nowadays they have little influence on the direction of most Islamic denominations. I've met some, you call them zaidy (soundalike spelling) and that's it really.

I think as a film and story idea it would have worked better if the priory were guarding the secret of the discovery of the bones of Christ - I have read a thriller on this basis - and the chruch wanted to destroy them because they thought they were a dangerously plausible fake.

I mean, if you want to film on something like it's own terms, you need to compare it with the Indiana Jones movies - and it is nothing like as a good.

[ 29. May 2006, 16:43: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Isaac David

Accidental Awkwardox
# 4671

- Posted      Profile for Isaac David   Author's homepage   Email Isaac David   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched it last week. Apart from enjoying the sweets I bought in the foyer, I thought Kevin Spacey was very entertaining as Lex Luthor (in the Superman trailer, that is).

--------------------
Isaac the Idiot

Forget philosophy. Read Borges.

Posts: 1280 | From: Middle Exile | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Corpus cani

Ship's Anachronism
# 1663

- Posted      Profile for Corpus cani     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Saw it this very evening.

It may, of course, be that the exciting bits of this "thriller" all crossed the screen in either of the two times during the evening when I fell asleep, but I'm minded to think not.

Sir Ian was good - he was supposed to be comedic relief, right? Tom Hanks, as always, played Tom Hanks perfectly. The French girl was a fine girly sidekick, with suitably bemused expression throughout (probably wondering how she ended up in this ridiculous film.) The guy playing Robbie-Coltrane-playing-a-Bishop looked splendidly uncomfortable in his clericals.

On the whole, it was not impressive. "Pedestrian" would be a kindness I think. Very nice coffee they serve there though.

Cc

--------------------
Bishop Lord Corpus Cani the Tremulous of Buzzing St Helens.

Posts: 4435 | From: Trumpton | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Corpus cani:
The guy playing Robbie-Coltrane-playing-a-Bishop looked splendidly uncomfortable in his clericals.

That's Alfred Molina - one of the UK's most underrated and most talented actors!

He was woefully underused. Alfred Molina in robes should have been camped up, and filled out. The sympathetic end that the character has int he book is completely voided in the movie.

What a waste of talent and time.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Exegesis Fairy
Shipmate
# 9588

- Posted      Profile for The Exegesis Fairy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welll...

For an advanced exercise in having your cake and eating it, it went off passably. There were two parts in which the rest of the audience jumped.

Not sure why I didn't, don't think I cared that much.

Spent most of the film wondering who Tom Hanks reminded me of.

I've seen a lot worse than this, though. But I've seen an awful lot better.

--------------------
I can only please one person a day.
Today is not your day.
Tomorrow doesn't look good either.

Posts: 500 | From: the clear blue sky | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took my son to see it recently and we both enjoyed it immensely. He wasn't too scared, but then he is 42 and I owed him the trip because he took me to see Amelie Poulain a while ago.

I don't remember much about Tom Hanks or Sir Ian
or the silly albino but I will look at Audrey Tatou until my eyes are as big as hers.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JillieRose:

Spent most of the film wondering who Tom Hanks reminded me of.

I thought the different hair made him look a bit like Bruce Dern, in the Sci-Fi ecology movie "Silent Running"? Which IMO was a better film, anyway ...

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it much more than I thought I would which frankly was at all. It entertained me - mostly by going 'uh huh' and 'erm im not sure that's correct'.

There are worse ways to spend an evening. And saw the new Bond trailer [Big Grin]

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it. A friend really wanted to see it, so we went- and she just loved it! I think for her it was a combination of love of feminine spirituality and the comeuppance of those nasty, powerful misogynists; I'm not quite sure. My friend's a little odd.

I enjoyed the locations, Sir Ian, and some of the action scenes. I giggled at the hurry up! hurry up! STOP!- for expository scenes at regular intervals. I giggled at the deep, deep, unequivocal symbolism of -wait for it!- the fleur d'lis and the rose. [Eek!] One look at those two rare symbols and you knew you were knee deep in Grail esoterica; it could be nothing else. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was dragged to see it this weekend, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would (which isn't saying much). I thought it made a better film than a book, as is sometimes the case with lightweight books. And it had some nice visual moments, unlike the book where the description was so bad it was almost impossible to visualise the various locations.

I liked Ian MacKellan. I enjoyed the scene in the chateau (in the book an incredibly tedious bit of exposition) which was livened up by the two academics sniping at each other and making faces behind each other's backs, just like real historians.

The two unanswered questions from the book remain: 1) why does all this matter? and 2) why does it take two supposed experts so long to solve such simple puzzles? But some new ones arose:

- What was the business with the drug addict in the park in aid of? I'm sure that wasn't in the book. Was Sophie being set up as a saviour figure - if so, they could have tried a bit harder.

- Last time I was at Roslin Chapel it had a big metal hat on to protect the carvings from the weather - did they remove the hat, or edit it out with cunning CGI?

- Have centuries of searchers really been foiled by a rope and a sign saying 'private'? I didn't realise that determined seekers after truth were so law-abiding.

- And who on earth let Tom Hanks loose in that awful haircut?

Still, at least we know Tom can do confused. And he was impressively large and loomy, unless Audrey whatsit and Ian McKellan are excessively teensy people.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
A Random Ordinand
Shipmate
# 9444

- Posted      Profile for A Random Ordinand   Email A Random Ordinand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at the first showing of DVC in Northern Ireland, and didn't think that much of it... the Church History portrayed is so so so so wrong, it's unbelieveable. And it was quite boring.
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finally got round to seeing it yesterday, just before our local cinema's due to take it off (we were the only people in the auditorium at the late afternoon showing, so we could giggle at the sillier bits without disturbing anyone). It was mostly as boring as I was expecting - but I was ravished to discover that not only is Opus Dei a secret society which will stop at nothing to hide the darkest secrets of Christianity, but between bursts of self-flagellation its members talk to one another in Latin. Oh please please please can I join?
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPOILERS

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I saw it. A friend really wanted to see it, so we went- and she just loved it! I think for her it was a combination of love of feminine spirituality and the comeuppance of those nasty, powerful misogynists; I'm not quite sure. My friend's a little odd.

[Yipee]

I saw the movie the first day it was here, and needed time to mull it over.

I loved the book. I usually like Ron Howard's work. The film was worth seeing...but as a representation of DVC, it was a confusing mess.

IMHO, DB did a great job of writing the book in a way that could be easily adapted to film. But RH mucked around with it in ways that don't even make sense.

When the film started, the feeling of it was so much like the M. Night Shyamalan trailer I'd just seen that I thought I was seeing the wrong movie.

I'd had a problem with the casting of Tom Hanks from the moment I'd heard about it. He's a very good actor--but wrong for the part. He did do short bursts of good acting in the film, but the rest of it seemed like a very early run-through. Same thing for the French actress who played Sophie. The rest of the actors were good, and seemed to more or less accurately portray the characters in the book.

I'd heard that RH was going to change or tone down some things...but there doesn't seem to be any logic to what he did. He got rid of the important info about the "Madonna of the Rocks" painting...which would make sense if he wanted to soften the overall ideas...but he wasn't systematic about that. He gave Langdon some lines at Rosslyn which I don't think were anywhere in the book...that maybe Jesus was with him in the well when he was little, and that what was important was what *Sophie* herself believed. RH also changed Teabing's last scene, and the endings for poor Silas and his bishop. And then there was making Sauniere not really Sophie's grandfather. What's up with that???

I'd decided before I saw the film that I could cope with whatever RH did with the story as long as he got the last scene right--the veneration of Mary Magdalene. I was floored when I saw the trailers for the film and found that they'd actually put that last scene in the trailers!!! But I did like the last scene, and the sarcophagus was beautiful.

ISTM that Ron Howard tried to make the story into an art film with spurts of action...and it didn't really work.

Pity. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016