homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Nicky Gumbel's comments on BBC Radio 2 17:30 21st May

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nicky Gumbel's comments on BBC Radio 2 17:30 21st May
Aethelstan
Shipmate
# 3502

- Posted      Profile for Aethelstan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny Walker is speaking to Nicky Gumbel of HTB now on Radio 2

[ 21. May 2006, 20:33: Message edited by: Louise ]

Aethelstan
Shipmate
# 3502

- Posted      Profile for Aethelstan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To summarise what Nicky Gumbel said:

There is no suggestion of any kind of sexual relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdelene in any early documents (he made specific reference to the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hamadi).

Later documents tell us more about Gnosticism than they do about the historical Jesus.

When Johnny Walker asked if, supposing the story (of Jesus and Mary Magdelene) were true, it would matter, Nicky Gumbel simply replied that the story is not true.

He added that the difference between the Jesus who emerges from Brown's novel and the Jesus of the gospels is that the former has no power to change lives, whereas the latter does and continues to do so.

Walker pointed out that the Church has to be careful not to simply generate publicity for the novel and film. Gumbel replied that that was true, but that this was a good opportunity for the Church to take advantage of the widespread interest any story about Jesus. He felt that this and protesting about the film are both valid responses.

Hope I've got that right! Nothing particularly surprising.

Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the Listen Again link to the programme on the BBC for anyone who wants to hear it. It will be available until seven days from now.

Louise

(changed thread title to make it clearer since the programme has gone out)

[ 21. May 2006, 20:34: Message edited by: Louise ]

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Expatriate Theolinguist
Shipmate
# 6064

- Posted      Profile for The Expatriate Theolinguist   Email The Expatriate Theolinguist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't sound as if he engaged particularly well with the issue at hand. He seems to have been using it as an opportunity to slip in a subliminal Gospel message...

When it came to the hypothetical question of what would have happened if Jesus were married, he just repeated his argument that it was rubbish. I think he'd have done better to have speculated a little, or at least given a different answer.

Posts: 731 | From: Upstate New York | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_ricarno:
When it came to the hypothetical question of what would have happened if Jesus were married, he just repeated his argument that it was rubbish. I think he'd have done better to have speculated a little, or at least given a different answer.

I think that we can do better.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kempis3
Shipmate
# 9792

- Posted      Profile for kempis3         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aethelstan:

When Johnny Walker asked if, supposing the story (of Jesus and Mary Magdelene) were true, it would matter, Nicky Gumbel simply replied that the story is not true.

The novel is fiction -- but a fiction with a grain of truth concerning Church History.

What is annoying is that many of us will not accept lectures on mendacity from church leaders like Gumbel.

If the bullies of the pulpit were trustworthy, we would listen to them.

The great contribution of TDVC is that these issues are, at last, being brought into the light where they can be discussed without victimization.

--------------------
Man plots -- God laughs.

Posts: 148 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear. Sounds remarkably like the "Why do I have to clean my teeth?" "Because I say so" scenarios one hears in families where the adults don't really engage with their children.

I wonder why he bothered going on radio just to say that?

There again, I'm still wondering why anyone is bothering. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016