homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Da Vinci Code   » Are We Creating Controversy?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Are We Creating Controversy?
welshman in london
Apprentice
# 10777

- Posted      Profile for welshman in london   Email welshman in london   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are we creating controversy? How has a novel which 22% of British adults have read, is based on deception and has sold 100 million copies worldwide and been made into a dreary Hollywood film?

A colleague of the Pope called the DaVinci code "sack full of lies" in a major Easter sermon, Cardinal Hummes said: "The more people talk about the book, the happier the author will be." He dismissed The Da Vinci Code as "a big farce"; head of the Church of England condemned the obsession with it.

Are we creating the controversy? At the bottom what is the Da Vinci code? Effectively it’s a popularist ‘airport fiction’ novel based loosely on disproved theories and artistic license.

So why are evangelical and other churches across the country holding events which are essentially promoting it, ‘come hear what the DaVinci code has to say’, many people (including myself) went to see the DaVinci code in the week before out church’s event to know what differences there we’re between the film and the book.

What are other people’s opinions, should we carry on holding events on controversial pop culture? Or by kicking up a fuss are we simply fanning the fire?

It would be interested to know some opinions.

Posts: 10 | From: London, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By kicking up a fuss, we are simply fanning the fire. Every protest, every angry sermon, sells another 10,000 books and/or 1,000 movie tickets. Dan Brown is no dumb cluck. Simply stock your book with worn-out anti-Catholic cliches, and the largest religious institution in the world will do all your PR for you. It's as if the Vatican and the evangelical ghetto simply live to be duped into providing free advertising for hack artists, if only the hack artists will follow a certain formula.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Vatican should have released a 30-second TV spot showing a bunch of cardinals in their cardinally outfits, reading the DVC and laughing uproariously, saying to each other (using subtitles of course because they're speaking Latin), "look, he thinks we believe such-and-such!" or "I can't believe he would use that old canard about so-and-so".

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Demas
Ship's Deserter
# 24

- Posted      Profile for Demas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mousethief:
It's as if the Vatican and the evangelical ghetto simply live to be duped into providing free advertising for hack artists, if only the hack artists will follow a certain formula.

That'd make a good conspiracy theory.

--------------------
They did not appear very religious; that is, they were not melancholy; and I therefore suspected they had not much piety - Life of Rev John Murray

Posts: 1894 | From: Thessalonica | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Derision and debunking are much more effective than earnest protest. And there is plenty to deride and debunk. I saw Ian Hislop do a pretty good deriding job on the book and film on the UKTV show "Have I got news for you?".

Conspiracy theorists are relatively immune to logical argument and inference - but not being laughed at. Earnestness and conspiracy theorising seem to go together. Given that all those with a penchant for conspiracy theories believe that "we have been taken in by the official line", debunking laughter is quote a good way of pointing out that there are more ways than one of getting "taken in".

Try it. If you think someone is talking bollocks and believing bollocks, or being taken in, just tell them that for openers. Better than street protests and earnest corrective presentations IMO. Mind you, you've got to have some idea of what you're talking about to take that line.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Om
Shipmate
# 2318

- Posted      Profile for The Om   Email The Om   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it just me, or is TDVC a very cleverly created troll, on the surface plausible but designed to subtley irritate as many people as possible? Which, of course, is the point - because trolls sit back and watch with amusement all the heat being generated from their actions, while in Mr Brown's case raking in the profits. There seems to be a subtle art in trolling by raising everyone's hackles without being conspicuous and he seems to have it down to a T.

Personally I'm waiting for the sequel to the film, which is TDVC in the style of Monty Python and The Holy Grail. Now that should be worth watching...

Posts: 96 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I, for one, think that Mr. Brown is sitting back and laughing at all of us, while his back accounts are growing exponentially.

I just finished "Angels and Demons" and am just now reading "The Da Vinci Code." They are both well-written thrillers, but they play fast and loose with facts.

It's too bad that people can't just understand that these are works of fiction!

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure Dan Brown is enjoying the free publicity and the royalties. I predict that he will have imitators. I'm also sure that there is NO WAY he would have sought to produce an analogous work of fiction which, inter alia, had a dig at Islam. After all, just look what happened to Salman Rushdie.

And I guess that's my point. On a community like this one, or in church communities in general, there is no harm in providing some support for and analysis of the questions which spin off as a result of the "digs". But I suspect that most of us are not favour of "fatwahs" in any form. Given those views, it isn't creating controversy to provide some analysis and support. Did Dan Brown foresee the controversy? If so, then he had a financial interest in provoking it. On that issue, he seems to have done a very good job for himself. With a little help from some of the rest of us ..

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
After all, just look what happened to Salman Rushdie.

He became rich and famous.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just like Dan Brown.

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

And lived in hiding for a long time. Tell you what, sharkshooter, if Dan Brown produces a work of fiction at any time during the next five years which, inter alia, knocks any of the central tenets of Islam, I'll make a donation of £100 to any charity you wish to nominate.

--------------------

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

So Brown found a "safer" target. I guess he gets extra points for that.

--------------------

Calindreams
Shipmate
# 9147

- Posted      Profile for Calindreams   Email Calindreams   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
After all, just look what happened to Salman Rushdie.

He became rich and famous.
And deservedly so I reckon - one of my favourite books... but sorry, please don't let me derail, just can't help saying something every time that book is mentioned.

--------------------
Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore

Posts: 665 | From: Birmingham, England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
So Brown found a "safer" target. I guess he gets extra points for that.

Can you imagine the extra publicity Dan Brown would get if Opus Dei were to put a price on his head?

I'd better shut up. I might give some people ideas!

Pax R.

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016