homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Sundry liturgical questions (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sundry liturgical questions
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The hymn was unknown to me and distinctly unmemorable so I will have to try and find it on google to see if it could have been based on a psalm.

I am not a musician but I thought the choir were quite good, certainly stronger than the choir at my own church which does do a responsive psalm.

The gospel procession with a cross and 2 candles took place in silence.

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it was a hymn based on a psalm, it should have been Psalm 8 which is the one set for Trinity Sunday - in case that's any help tracking it down.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hymnary.org's list of hymns (supposedly?)based on Psalm 8 is here.

[ 22. May 2016, 16:57: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When saying the Roman Liturgy of the Hours (which I do for festivals rather than the C of E Daily Prayer) it is possible to run on Morning Prayer after the Office of Readings. In which case, the hymn for Morning Prayer can be used for the Office of Readings and the versicles at the end of Readings and start of Morning Prayer are omitted.

I also omit the hymn for Morning Prayer (ie I recit one hymn in the entire celebration, after the invitatory) although this is not specified. Is it intended there should be two hymns when the offices are recited together?

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know of an online resource that would give access to pointed psalms, with the markings between syllables (forgive me that I know not its technical name), NRSV, ideally laid out according to the revised common lectionary? I can find NRSV psalms, I can find lectionary readings, but not pointed psalms online. A congregation member currently does the layout for us by hand but we would like to move to a more easily copiable resource. Thanks in advance.
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you mean like those contained in this pdf. Scroll down the first part is how to chant and it only afterwards has the psalms

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Laxton's Superba
Shipmate
# 228

- Posted      Profile for Laxton's Superba   Email Laxton's Superba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, that is exactly the kind of thing I was after. What I hadn't considered is the use of the purple RSCM chant book from which we rarely deviate, but could do, given that this is a terrific resource. Thank you very much. [Overused]
Posts: 187 | From: I wish I knew | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Laxton's Superba:
A congregation member currently does the layout for us by hand but we would like to move to a more easily copiable resource.

quote:
Originally posted by Laxton's Superba:
Ah, that is exactly the kind of thing I was after.

Laxton Superba, just a reminder, which you may not need, to remember copyright considerations before making copies. The PDFed book to which Jengie Jon linked indicates that copyright (1987) is held by The Church Pension Fund; the book is still in publication. (I can't help but wonder if permission was received to put the PDF online to start with.) Copyright acknowledgments for individual settings are on page 335–36.

At least in the PDF, I don't see anything saying that if a congregation owns one copy of the book, permission is given to copy individual psalms for one-time use in worship. (I have seen such permission in other similar books.)

Good luck!

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the copying of musical material for use in worship is generally covered by the Church Copyright Licence in the UK. Is there a similar system elsewhere?

[ 15. June 2016, 05:37: Message edited by: Arethosemyfeet ]

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet: I think the copying of musical material for use in worship is generally covered by the Church Copyright Licence in the UK. Is there a similar system elsewhere?
Yes, but such licenses only cover the copyrighted music or lyrics of participating copyright holders, to whom a group like CCLI pays royalties. Some large sacred music publishers (like GIA in the States) do not participate. It seems to me that denominational publishing houses also often do not participate.

In other words, even if your church uses the Church Copyright Lcense, you still have to verify that the music you want to copy is covered by the license before copying it—that or get permission from the copyright holder.

[ 15. June 2016, 12:39: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A classic example of this is Morning has broken. If it is in hymn books and sung at a normal service then there is no charge for copyright, but if the words are reproduced for something like a wedding - in other words not a regular service - then you have to contact the trustees of the estate of Eleanor Farjeon who levy a fee of c£30. This despite the fact that the words feature in the books the church normally uses and that you have sufficient for each member of the wedding congregation.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the congregation makes the sign of the cross during a (Western) liturgy, do they end with their fingers on their right shoulder or should they return their hands back to the center of their chest? I was used to the former but I have noticed that in the choir I sing in the norm is to do the latter.
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was taught the former. (Taught by the nuns at St. Camillus Catholic School.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
A classic example of this is Morning has broken. If it is in hymn books and sung at a normal service then there is no charge for copyright . . . .

Well, technically there is, or was, a charge. The charge was factored into the cost of the book, and the publisher will pay royalties to copyright holders based on the number of books sold. A portion of what the purchaser pays covers copyright charges. So, it's more accurate to say that if it is in the hymnal and is sung from the hymnal, then there is no additional copyright charge.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A classic example of this is Morning has broken. If it is in hymn books and sung at a normal service then there is no charge for copyright, but if the words are reproduced for something like a wedding - in other words not a regular service - then you have to contact the trustees of the estate of Eleanor Farjeon who levy a fee of c£30. This despite the fact that the words feature in the books the church normally uses and that you have sufficient for each member of the wedding congregation.

I think Nick Tamen may be right there, though if you want to press the point, you need to take legal advice from a practising lawyer with an insurance policy. If it is in your hymn books, I would have thought the copyright owner would find it difficult to demand a fee or to sue you unless and until you have printed it out in a wedding booklet.

£30 for a single use sounds a bit grasping. At that rate, it would be better to find something that is out of copyright.

[ 15. June 2016, 21:39: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
If it is in your hymn books, I would have thought the copyright owner would find it difficult to demand a fee or to sue you unless and until you have printed it out in a wedding booklet.

Indeed, because the copyright holder has given permission for it to be printed in the book.

I have a hymn published in a hymnal. Prior to publication, I signed necessary papers giving permission for the hymn to be printed in the book, as well as in the electronic formats (including a format for projection). As a result, anyone using it in the published format is authorized to do so. In return for giving permission, I receive a royalty check annually, based on sales for that year.

I do, however, sometimes get emails from churches that use a different hymnal but want to print the hymn in question in their service bulletin. For that they do need my permission, which I always give provided they indicate something along the lines of ”Copyright Nick Tamen, reprinted with permission," and that they send me a copy. I don't charge a fee—certainly not $42 (around £30).

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I made it clear: we have to pay the additional charge when it is printed in an Order of Service for a wedding/ funeral because that was the agreement the trustees reached when agreeing to it being in hymnals which are covered by the CCLI scheme.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
I thought I made it clear: we have to pay the additional charge when it is printed in an Order of Service for a wedding/ funeral because that was the agreement the trustees reached when agreeing to it being in hymnals which are covered by the CCLI scheme.

The first part—that payment must be made when it is printed in an order of service—you did make clear. But the second part wasn't clear, at least to me, in what you said. Sorry if I misunderstood, but I read you as saying there was no copyright charge for music in hymnals, and I was simply clarifying that there was, in fact, a copyright charge built into the purchase price.

(And perhaps things are different in the UK, but here hymnals aren't covered by a CCLI license. That license only allows for one-time use. Hymnals deal directly with the copyright holder.)

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can use hymns printed in various hymnals copyrighted under CCLI for printing or projecting if you hold a licence. When I was working in church admin I put any hymn selections through a program called Hymnquest, which gave me all the copyright details to print on the service booklet with the licence details for CCLI and OCP as required. It also stored the information to submit to CCLI and OCP each year/quarter as the declaration against the subscription. (I added in the hymns in booklets produced by other people, even when they mucked up the copyright information by copying from 5 years before.)

Having dug to find evidence of the rumours I'd heard of people being prosecuted for using Morning has broken, Martin Shaw lost against Cat Stevens as the judge ruled that the only copyrighted version was Martin Shaw's exact version. There's another Farjeon hymn, which is not covered by CCLI, People Look East, although there is a version around of this one that is covered by CCLI in Sing Praise

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
When the congregation makes the sign of the cross during a (Western) liturgy, do they end with their fingers on their right shoulder or should they return their hands back to the center of their chest? I was used to the former but I have noticed that in the choir I sing in the norm is to do the latter.

From my experience, the answer may differ depending on whom we are discussing. Generally speaking, I concur with Brenda Clough that the sign of the cross ends at the right shoulder in the Western Rite.

If one is assisting as an altar server/acolyte during the Mass, however, one mostly keeps one’s hands folded in front of oneself, as if praying. In this case, I was taught that after touching the right shoulder, one’s hands should return to the default, folded-hands position. So, at least in this sense, one’s hands would be returning to the center chest.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For me, returning to the chest is something I learned after swimming the Thames. It's not something I would have thought to do in my RC days.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Knopwood:
For me, returning to the chest is something I learned after swimming the Thames. It's not something I would have thought to do in my RC days.

In my experience it's something of a shibboleth in the Church of England: finishing at the right shoulder marks you out as Rome-ish; returning to the chest marks you as more English/Dearmerite/"Sarum".
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:

I did the latter in my previous middle-of-the-road parishes but went to the former sometime after joining my current Anglo-Catholic parish. So I returned to the more RC practice I grew up with.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apart from noticing that the Orthodox cross from right to left, the Catholics and the CofE (usually, if they cross themselves at all) from left to right, and Russians often do an extra little flourish at the end, I had not appreciated there were 'rules' about this. Can anyone summarise them for me? I've also noticed also that the Orthodox hold their fingers 3-2 whereas most Catholics and CofE don't seem to bother.

I believe Old Believers hold their fingers 2-3. Does anyone know?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What looks particularly ridiculous is those priests who make the sign of the cross over people and then not only return to the middle but then drop their hand down to their waist. It looks sort of broken.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Apart from noticing that the Orthodox cross from right to left, the Catholics and the CofE (usually, if they cross themselves at all) from left to right, and Russians often do an extra little flourish at the end, I had not appreciated there were 'rules' about this. Can anyone summarise them for me? I've also noticed also that the Orthodox hold their fingers 3-2 whereas most Catholics and CofE don't seem to bother.

I believe Old Believers hold their fingers 2-3. Does anyone know?

I think that's about right. I often import/modify Eastern practice and touch my toes after the sign of the cross at the elevations (wherever they occur) when I am in a congregation where the custom is to stand for the anaphora.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So what do people do with leftover bits of candles?
We have a large bag of part-candles which may not be big enough for another service, and are wondering what the best thing to do with them is...

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Altar Guild wrestled with this issue for years, until we finally switched over to liquid wax candles.
The most important issue is to sort them out -- colors, if any, or if you mixed real beeswax candles with cheaper artificial wax ones.
We would gather all the real beeswax ends and melt them together to make new candles. You can strain out the bits of wick and pour the melted wax into some sort of mold. We had one shaped like a dove. The dove candles enjoyed a ready sale at Christmas for use on mantels, in windows, etc.
You can also do this with the artificial candles, but do them in a separate batch because the wax melts at a different temperature.
If this seems like too much work, find someone who does batik, or a preschool teacher who is making ice cube candles with the kiddies. You can color wax by adding the ends of crayons, of which preschools always have plenty.
Real beeswax is expensive and has some value. Artificial wax, not so much

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bits always come in handy for lighting the charcoal for the thurible, of course. And some companies will take them back and recycle them. Hayes and Finch did that when I used to get my stuff from them. They don't pay you, though...

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:

In my experience it's something of a shibboleth in the Church of England: finishing at the right shoulder marks you out as Rome-ish; returning to the chest marks you as more English/Dearmerite/"Sarum".
You know, I've never noticed that I even do that! Maybe I'm just Sarum by instinct!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just returned from a few weeks in England and was struck again by clergy who 'cross' themselves by moving their fingers or thumb in horizontal motions, no vertical 'cross' at all. I don't know that I've seen it in the States. Is this just lazy or does it connote something?

The most recent occasion I had observed this was in a cathedral, a canon in an ornate gothic chasuble and incense used quite liberally.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:

You know, I've never noticed that I even do that! Maybe I'm just Sarum by instinct!
I'd never thought of it in those terms before. So from what I can make out I cross myself like a Roman but the extent to which I cross myself (i.e. like an old Babushka) is certainly not Roman, or at least not Modern Roman.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my churches has three lovely containers for oil: healing, chrism and catacheumens. Healing is clear, but I get muddled about the other two. Which should I use for baptism, and which for confirmation?

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the Roman Rite of baptism for infants, the oil of catechumens is used for the pre-baptismal anointing (freedom from evil) and chrism is used for the post-baptismal anointing (strength to do good). In the RCIA, the oil of catechumens may be used at any stage during the catechumenate, and is often used as proximate preparation for baptism (but not during the Easter Vigil itself). There is no post-baptismal anointing in the RCIA, as confirmation follows at once. Chrism is used for confirmation.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In C of E Common Worship, the oil of Baptism/Catechumens is used at the signing of the cross before baptism. The oil of Chrism can be used at the prayer that 'you may be daily be renewed by his anointing Spirit' which follows the baptism. So in line with the RC practice as described above. But if only one oil is used it is the former.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
moonlitdoor
Shipmate
# 11707

- Posted      Profile for moonlitdoor   Email moonlitdoor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who normally sits in the choir stalls apart from the choir ? I was at the choral Eucharist at Chichester cathedral this morning. I was quite close to the back, and noticed when I arrived heads in the choir stalls. I thought at first it was the choir and that there would be no processing in. But there was, and when it came to going up to the altar for communion, I saw that there were quite a few other people sitting alongside the choir.

Would they just be the first people to arrive, or is there some particular group of people who would go there ?

--------------------
We've evolved to being strange monkeys, but in the next life he'll help us be something more worthwhile - Gwai

Posts: 2210 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At Chichester, Mattins is at 10am, followed quite quickly by the Eucharist at 11am. Perhaps those in the quire were the Mattins congregation, staying on for the Eucharist?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've certainly sat in choir stalls for cathedral services. If you arrive early at Westminster Abbey for weekday Sung Evensong, you can sit in the choir stalls rather than in the stacking chairs in the transept.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
I've certainly sat in choir stalls for cathedral services. If you arrive early at Westminster Abbey for weekday Sung Evensong, you can sit in the choir stalls rather than in the stacking chairs in the transept.

I've sat in the Lord High Commissioner's stall for Evensong in the Abbey. I look for that one whenever there's a big service on TV (wedding, pope visit, etc.).
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having attended evensong in a number of cathedrals, I can't think of a time when I didn't sit in a choir stall, except in London (St. Paul's and Southwark). Not true of morning services, though I've been to far fewer of those. Most recently we sat directly facing a real live Lord and his Lady (although he's "only" a Life Peer and not of my political persuasion).

[ 12. September 2016, 07:14: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:
Who normally sits in the choir stalls apart from the choir ? I was at the choral Eucharist at Chichester cathedral this morning. I was quite close to the back, and noticed when I arrived heads in the choir stalls. I thought at first it was the choir and that there would be no processing in. But there was, and when it came to going up to the altar for communion, I saw that there were quite a few other people sitting alongside the choir.

Would they just be the first people to arrive, or is there some particular group of people who would go there ?

In Canterbury it depends on the service. In most services the Quire is large enough to contain the majority of the congregation - sometimes it expands into the chapels at the sides (I can't remember the names of those, sorry).

At very large services, the majority of the congregation is in the nave with just the choir in the Quire. Sometimes they begin in the Quire and then end up at the front of the nave, I think because the acoustics are quite different in different parts of the building.

--------------------
arse

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at an Evensong in Norwich fairly recently where most of the congregation sat in the Quire with a few overspill members in the Nave. Towards the end of this particular service (I think it was the Cathedral's Patronal Saint's day) we were ALL invited to process up the aisle, singing, behind the choir and out of the West Door. We gathered outside for a prayer and the Blessing. This was rather good!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

In many cathedrals seats in the Quire on Sundays are reserved for parents of junior choristers: this means they don't have to arrive too early and get to spend the maximum amount of time with their son/daughter.

--------------------

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many thanks to Adam and Angloid for their helpful answers to my query. However, I am still a bit puzzled. The CW liturgy I have inherited for baptism has only one anointing, after the water has been administered, and we all go on to pray that the candidate might "fight valiantly under the banner of Christ".

Notwithstanding my confusion, in future I shall use the Oil of Catacheumens on the newly baptised, and leave the Oil of Chrism for the Bishop at Confirmations.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Many thanks to Adam and Angloid for their helpful answers to my query. However, I am still a bit puzzled. The CW liturgy I have inherited for baptism has only one anointing, after the water has been administered, and we all go on to pray that the candidate might "fight valiantly under the banner of Christ".

Are you sure? That doesn't look like Common Worship to me. I know there have been new and simplified versions but I don't think they have changed the structure. If there is only one signing and anointing it may come after the baptism, but the prayer 'Fight valiantly...' always precedes the blessing of water and the baptism.
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlitdoor:

Chichester Cathedral is my home church (we also attend things at our parish church) and I know several people from the regular congregation who choose to sit in the Quire stalls or on the chairs beyond the stalls as you approach the altar. As far as I know they don't have special permission but I have often wondered what might happen if a visitor were to accidentally sit in "their" seat.... [Snigger]
I usually sit in the Nave for the Sung Eucharist as I love the sense of space and the experience of being caught up into something bigger, the drama if you like, of the Eucharist.

If I am attending Evensong I sit in the Quire stalls and really appreciate the sense of intimacy.

I really do love our Cathedral!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
...I have often wondered what might happen if a visitor were to accidentally sit in "their" seat.... [Snigger]

Probably the same as in any church (yup, I was guilty of pew stealing a few weeks ago!).
[Hot and Hormonal]

I've only been to Chichester Cathedral once (Sunday morning Eucharist), and it was indeed beautiful. I must go back some day.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Have Chichester finally managed to overcome their strange reluctance to use incense properly? When I was there for the Eucharist they had a thurifer who walked in the processions and stood around producing smoke, but nothing (including the altar) was ever censed in the traditional way.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Obviously taking their cue from ++ Justin who handles a thurible with all the grace and fluency of a duck perfoming musket drill.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
...I have often wondered what might happen if a visitor were to accidentally sit in "their" seat.... [Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Probably the same as in any church (yup, I was guilty of pew stealing a few weeks ago!).

I quote a parishioner overheard muttering to clergy;

quote:
If we must have visitors can the sidesmen please make sure they don't sit in my spot

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016