homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Sundry liturgical questions (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  37  38  39 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Sundry liturgical questions
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have the real Mediterranean thing growing in my back garden. Anyone wants wild/organic (John the Baptist version) got that on the hillside too.

PM me and I will send by international courier. 'Tis a hardy thing - a bit of wet cotton wool on the stems and it should last days.

I have seen Orthodox using fresh basil also. Which has a nice smell and is presumably available IRL supermarkets

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
ALL the bells are silent after the Gloria on Holy Thursday, and no, one does not recite the Angelus from then onwards.

No bells - agree - but i still recite the Angelus because i have yet to find a source that tells me otherwise - in fact i asked on The Ship about this before.

Would be grateful if you knew the source.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder about that too. Part of me thinks it seems a strange thing to say at this point... but another part of me thinks that there is never a more important time than Good Friday or Holy Saturday to remind oneself of the Incarnation. The one who suffers, dies and descends to the dead is truly human as we are.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't need any bells to recite the Angelus. I agree that it is appropriate not to say it in church as part of any services after the Maundy Thursday liturgy.

But there's no reason for me not to say it as part of my private prayers, any more than there is for me not to say the rosary.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, private devotions are in a sense one's own business. There is no formal obligation on anyone to say the Angelus, so no formal obligation on when not to recite it.

I am expressing an opinion and would be happy to stand corrected. My opinion is based on the fact that originally the Angelus was explicitly tied to the ringing of the bell. Whether one accepts the theory that this was the curfew bell or alternately the Compline bell, either way the evening Angelus came first. People were enjoined to recite three Hail Marys when they heard the evening bell. The expanded prayers now familiar as the Angelus came later, as did the tolling of the bell in the morning and at noon.

So if the bell is silent .....

By way of contrast, the Enchiridion of Indulgences states "A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful, who devoutly recite the above prayers according to the formula indicated for the time of the year" and the indication for the Angelus are simply "During the year (outside of Paschal Season)", with nothing about not saying the Angelus on Good Friday and Holy Saturday.

So it's perhaps one of those situations where you make up your own mind.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
The Angelus on Good Friday and Holy Saturday: Ring-a da bell? Or, not?

No, no, no! - unless of course you want people to pause and think of a working fisherman, grieving mother or Zambian office worker.

ALL the bells are silent after the Gloria on Holy Thursday, and no, one does not recite the Angelus from then onwards. If you want to make a morning, noon and night recollection at the usual time of the Angelus, then I suggest the Stations of the Cross versicle and response "we adore you O Christ and we bless you etc"

(Way past the time when this answer may have been useful this year, of course, but maybe useful for future reference)

Of course this must be the right answer. I've had the privilege of being able to scamper into the church to pull the Angelus for the past year or so (Either 6a and noon or noon and 6p; I'm not working a twelve-hour day). It's an evangelical opportunity and has become almost second nature to look at the clock as the time approaches.

I had already starting pulling the Angelus at noon on Good Friday without even thinking, when, half-way through, I considered my probable error. I forbore when 6p rolled around.

I plead guilty to the enthusiasm of a little boy with a rope attached to a big bell.

Of course, in Eastertide, we've left the "three threes and a nine" of the Angelus for the "four twos and an eight" of the Regine Coeli. I find it easier to sing than speak it.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

So it's perhaps one of those situations where you make up your own mind.

Yeah, I can live with that!

Definitely agree about the bells, of course.

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Silent Acolyte:
Of course, in Eastertide, we've left the "three threes and a nine" of the Angelus for the "four twos and an eight" of the Regine Coeli. I find it easier to sing than speak it.

Never heard the 2s before - here, we get the 3 x 3s done faster, without a break, then the 9

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Interesting, leo.

The Angelus has three versicle-and-responses, while the Regina Coeli has four.

Can anyone else weigh in on the manner of ringing the bell for the Angelus and the Regina Coeli?

The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

Well, that post was written in haste and was wrong. Let me try again.

The Angelus has three Gospel versicle-and-responses, with a Hail Mary after each. The bell is tolled three times for each set. Then the bell is tolled nine times during the collect.

The Regina Coeli is a hymn with four lines. At each line, the bell is tolled twice. Then the bell is tolled eight times during the collect.

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not aware of any time-tested indication that the bell should be rung differently for the Regina Coeli. There are lots of variants around - our old friend "local custom" peeps above the parapet.

Had I a bell I would just ring the Angelus as usual - based on the prayer being a response to the bell, rather than the bell keeping time with the prayer.

Also, the final 9 is I think just a convenience. In France and Italy you hear a great peal of bells at the end rather than 9 single strokes.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had the pleasure of being at a church that recited the Angelus after Sunday Sung Mass, and when I had the honour to be MC ringing the bell, I did enquire of a priest attached to the parish what I should ring in Eastertide.

He said to just ring as usual, ie 3x3 during the Regina Caeli and 9 for the collect.

[ 03. May 2014, 20:44: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am unable to find it.

How long after opening can a bottle of port be used for Communion? A small church that intincts isn't going to use a bottle very quickly at all. I am trying to balance good taste against waste.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it has a good seal on the screw top, I'd imagine quite a while. You could always transfer it to a container with a good seal if the bottle isn't any good. If it doesn't smell like wine anymore, it's probably not. So long as the smell doesn't give it away, you're probably fine.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BF

You can buy port in half-bottles...

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I didn't know that. The smallest one I saw yesterday was 750ml, but I'll look for the smaller one.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jade Constable:
Personally I can never remember where people do it during the creed.....

Usually you make the sign of the cross at the end of the Creed (i.e., "and the life of the world to come"). I've also seen it done instead during the previous line regarding the resurrection of the dead.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

- Posted      Profile for GCabot   Email GCabot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barefoot Friar:
How long after opening can a bottle of port be used for Communion? A small church that intincts isn't going to use a bottle very quickly at all. I am trying to balance good taste against waste.

This really depends on the type of port being used. One site has the following guidelines:

Really Old Vintage - 1-2 days
Old Colheita - 1-3 days
Old Vintage - 2-3 days
Young Vintage - 4-5 days
Filtered LBV - 10 days
Unfiltered LBV - 1-2 weeks
Young Colheita - 2 weeks
Ruby - 3-4 weeks
Tawny - 1 month

Port, like any wine, will definitely last longer if it's kept refrigerated once opened. The best guide, however, is likely just to taste it and judge for yourself if it is still acceptable.

--------------------
The child that is born unto us is more than a prophet; for this is he of whom the Savior saith: "Among them that are born of woman, there hath not risen one greater than John the Baptist."

Posts: 285 | From: The Heav'n Rescued Land | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GCabot:
quote:

Usually you make the sign of the cross at the end of the Creed (i.e., "and the life of the world to come"). I've also seen it done instead during the previous line regarding the resurrection of the dead.
I don't think that this is really an "instead" so much as it is simply a second or two early. The traditional crossing here is intended as a summarizing gesture at the end of the creed.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

It went out with Vatican 2 (along with the genuflection except on two occasions on the year.)

Where you see it in C of E parishes is where they weren't ever instructed in the changes.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
It went out with Vatican 2 (along with the genuflection except on two occasions on the year.)

Where you see it in C of E parishes is where they weren't ever instructed in the changes.

Or where they don't look to Vatican II for instructions on liturgical customs?
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Oblatus:
quote:

Or where they don't look to Vatican II for instructions on liturgical customs?
i.e. where they claim the name 'catholic' but are provincial.

--------------------

Oblatus
Shipmate
# 6278

- Posted      Profile for Oblatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
i.e. where they claim the name 'catholic' but are provincial.

Id non est, actually.
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] Personally I can never remember where people do it during the creed.....

Given the increasing number of parishes and communities that use the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, either occasionally or regularly, I would say that this still needs to be mentioned.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Is it permissible to use the Te Deum in place of the Gloria on Trinity Sunday?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.

If you wish to sing a Te Deum on Trinity Sunday do it as the anthem - and if that is during communion distribution then I suggest you wait until the last communicant has partaken.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

Thanks!

--------------------

GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

Does anyone know what the proper liturgical postures are for the Athanasian Creed?

--------------------

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
No.

If you wish to sing a Te Deum on Trinity Sunday do it as the anthem - and if that is during communion distribution then I suggest you wait until the last communicant has partaken.

Well that rather depends on what church you are from, doesn't it?

I believe the Church of England simply suggests that the Gloria 'or other suitable hymn or canticle' be used at this point.

As Barefoot Friar's profile indicates that he is a Uniting Methodist I would suggest he probably has similar latitude, and the Te Deum would certainly seem suitable if he wanted it!

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The proper liturgical posture for the Athanasian Creed is to be well outside the church, and preferably down the pub.....

....I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does anyone know what the proper liturgical postures are for the Athanasian Creed?

Standing throughout, possibly facing East.

The Athanasian Creed is seldom to be found these days. Entitled in BCP (in England) as "At Morning Prayer", it is appointed to be used in place of the Apostles' Creed, on certain liturgical days in the year, including Trinity Sunday. As an expedient, it may be used at Evening Prayer, particularly in churches that do not have both Morning & Evening Prayer.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My post crossed with that of Bishop's Finger, in more serious vein than intended by him.

Admittedly, in the bygone days when I heard the Athanasian Creed, it sounded as if a punishment at school.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
quote:

The Athanasian Creed is seldom to be found these days. Entitled in BCP (in England) as "At Morning Prayer", it is appointed to be used in place of the Apostles' Creed, on certain liturgical days in the year, including Trinity Sunday. As an expedient, it may be used at Evening Prayer, particularly in churches that do not have both Morning & Evening Prayer.

I only use it during Prime in the Daily Office. The rubric is from the 1928 Proposed BCP, which may explain its presence.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
The proper liturgical posture for the Athanasian Creed is to be well outside the church, and preferably down the pub.....

....I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

Have to agree. The Athanasian Creed to me veers dangerously close to Salvation by Theology.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GCabot
Shipmate
# 18074

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:

....I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

Have to agree. The Athanasian Creed to me veers dangerously close to Salvation by Theology.
Could you elaborate? I am unfamiliar with that concept.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

....I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

It starts:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly."

In other words, believe everything that follows, or you'll burn in Hell. Conversely, believe everything that follows and you won't. Salvation by mental assent to a bunch of propositions.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:
quote:

I have only twice seen it used - once at Smoky Tom's in Toronto on Trinity Sunday, and another in my childhood church in Cornwall (Ontario) at evensong by a theologically enthusiastic clergy-- the latter time leaving a congregation grumpy at not getting home early enough to fire up the BBQ. Both times, we stood and faced east.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Perfectly permissible in the TEC 1979 BCP, and not just on Trinity Sunday.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
WearyPilgrim
Shipmate
# 14593

- Posted      Profile for WearyPilgrim   Email WearyPilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

....I'll get me coat....

Ian J.

It starts:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly."

In other words, believe everything that follows, or you'll burn in Hell. Conversely, believe everything that follows and you won't. Salvation by mental assent to a bunch of propositions.

. . . And in still other words, Church defined by who's out, not who's in.
Posts: 383 | From: Sedgwick, Maine USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a horrible suspicion that Father will drone his way through Death by Athanasia at Matins on Sunday morning (we have BCP Matins every Sunday at 930am, not that anyone other than the staff ever attends).

Surely no-one actually believes such tripe, do they?

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sonata3:
quote:

I hope you don't use the one that starts "You are God" in case You forgot.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I defend the Athanasian Creed (which is neither) ... but if used (I've used it twice in 30 years) it needs a contextual demythologisiation - maybe only a sentence or so - first.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
quote:
quote:

Why's that any different in principle to saying, "For thou only art holy, thou only art the Lord, thou only, O Christ, with the Holy Ghost, art most high in the glory of God the Father"? Christ presumably didn't forget that either?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

"Why yes. Yes I am, I am indeed! Bless Me!"

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seasick:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why's that any different in principle to saying, "For thou only art holy, thou only art the Lord, thou only, O Christ, with the Holy Ghost, art most high in the glory of God the Father"? Christ presumably didn't forget that either?
First, there is that little word "for". So it's not informing God of who he is, but explaining why we're praising him. (I'm sure he knows that as well, but it is ever so slightly different.)

Second, "for thou only art holy" is a decentish translation of the Latin. "You are God" is an idiotic translation of "Te Deum", so the Gloria at least has the excuse of centuries of tradition.

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it's a question of "Is it a good translation of the Latin?" then certainly there are good reasons to object. If, however, we cut out of the liturgy every instance of telling God something God already knows, I don't think there would be much left...

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
First, there is that little word "for". So it's not informing God of who he is, but explaining why we're praising him.

"You are God . . . ." Are we simply telling God who he is, or are we telling God that we acknowledge he is indeed God?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the grammar has definitely been re-jigged in translation.

Te Deum (both accusative) laudamus (1st person plural present active indicative)

The 1928 BCP has "We praise thee, O God." The "O" is an addition not present in the Latin, but it makes the sentence flow a bit better and doesn't obscure the meaning.

The 1979 BCP has "You are God; we praise You." To be fair, it's not miles from the sense of the Latin, but neither is it an especially faithful translation. It's a bit like changing the Collect for Advent II from "BLESSED Lord, who hast caused all holy Scriptures to be written for our learning" to "Lord, you inspired Holy Scripture to teach us" (this sort of change was rampant in the ICEL translations of the Roman Rite). Quite what motivated this, apart from an allergy to appositives, I'm not sure, but to my ear it was one of the ugliest tendencies of mod-lang liturgy.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Te Deum laudamus is one of those phrases that just can't be translated. The idea is that we praise God for the very reason that he **is** God.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I defend the Athanasian Creed (which is neither) ... but if used (I've used it twice in 30 years) it needs a contextual demythologisiation - maybe only a sentence or so - first.

And probably best to drop the first couple of prefatory verses.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  37  38  39 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016