homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » The Green Book

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Green Book
thwarted_thurifer
Apprentice
# 16177

- Posted      Profile for thwarted_thurifer   Email thwarted_thurifer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question if I may.

With the previous RC translation, in our Cathedral (where I then served) there was The Green Book. It was a shortened version of the Roman Missal for Holy Week, containing all the prayers for the services, but also the readingd proper to those days.
It was exceedingly useful, and was never more that 3 feet in any direction from the MC at any time.

These days, you seem to be able to get a shortened missal for this week (the normal Missal but (literally) smaller and with page numbers changed to suit, but without the readings.

Does anybody know if there is such a beast out there? Or is it in abeyance in case they change the translation used in the lectionary (here's hoping, eh?) just after we all bought one....

It was known as the Green Book being green. There was a Red Book which just has the mass collects in, and also the lesser seen book with the RCIA stuff in it. We never dealt with that much, other then to carry the marked pages up as required, however one day our Bishop wanted to consult it during the readings. The MC-of-the-week went up was asked for "The RCIA Book". "The What?"
Senior MC summoned. "Get me the RCIA book".
"Eh?"
"RCIA! The Rite of Christian... that blue book there!"
<several voices>"Oh, the *blue* book"</several voices>

D'oh!

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When the Episcopal Church (U.S.A.) was going through Prayer Book revision in the 1970s, we not only had a Green Book and a Blue Book, but we also had a Zebra Book!

(The Blue Book was sometimes known as the Groundhog Book since it was released on February 2, and of course Ground Hog Day took precedence over Purification, Presentation, or Candlemas.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You don't say where you live, but if in England the CTS have produced this: The Holy Week Missal

I find it very unsatisfactory and don't use it. It is rather small and being a mere 16cm x 23cm. Who on earth thought that size was a good idea???

Being small the print is rather dense, with all the rubrics confusing the text itself. It is therefore difficult to read (especially in the dark of Holy Saturday!)

So I bought it, remembering the green book (which WAS helpful) but it sits on the shelf.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good to see you here, Triple Tiara!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal]

thank you!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016