homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Divine Offices and Daily Prayer (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Divine Offices and Daily Prayer
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
The office is not a poetry recital in which one reader expressing through feeling one particular interpretation of the text and imposing it on an audience. It is an act of corporate prayer. Recital with the rhythm imposed by the break allows all the participants to take their part. At the same time they can interpret the text to themselves finding in it many different aspects.

Or let it flow over them as little meaning mumbo jumbo for that is what it is if passively read but I normally feel that about Bible readings rather than the recitation of the psalm. In communal readings expression and interpretation are difficult.

What I am not talking sense I am talking poetic structures used in Hebrew poetry that have passed into English. My preference is such structures should be side to side but they could be all together. There is repetition and theme development used extensively (an almost repetition which develops a thought of the previous phrase). To give an simplistic non Biblical example
quote:

There was a cat
There was a rare blue cat
and its name was Jeronimo
Jeronimo was its name

Sometimes this works well and sometimes it works badly using the markings.

It would be wrong to parse:
quote:

There is a cat
There was a rare blue cat
and its name was Jeronimo*
Jeronimo was its name

Either keep these structures in a single voice:

quote:

There was a cat
There was a rare blue cat*
and its name was Jeronimo
Jeronimo was its name

of split each between voices
quote:

There was a cat*
There was a rare blue cat*
and its name was Jeronimo*
Jeronimo was its name

The fact is I so often see the muddling in the handling of these structures in the recited psalms

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a small book publishes by Seabury Press in 1983 titled Morning and Evening Prayer with selected psalms and readings for the church year. I like it for it's small size easy to hold and carry about. I have added to that the Church Publishing Co 2014 Daily Prayer for all Seasons. This one is very useful when one has a few minutes of prayer time throughout the day. I like it also because it changes in readings and prayers for each season and has meditations from a variety of sources.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An easy to use and convenient one is Angela Tilby's 'The Little Office Book'.

It's ideal if you're busy or travelling.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The way to say the psalms communally in line with a sung service is: antiphonal altogether, verses alternately between either two sides or leader and the rest.

The RC office is on the app Universalis. The Cof E Daily Prayer app is unreliable.

That's news to me. I use the Daily Prayer App, set to BCP, when I am away from home, or on my own in church, on my iPhone and IME it works really well.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callan:
quote:
The Cof E Daily Prayer app is unreliable.

That's news to me. I use the Daily Prayer App, set to BCP, when I am away from home, or on my own in church, on my iPhone and IME it works really well.
The BCP office has far less room for options than Daily Prayer, so the app may well be reliable.

Nit picker that some may think me, there have been times when the Daily Prayer app doesn't follow the rubrics.

Also there are far more options and they don't necessarily follow the options I prefer.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if this may be of interest, but of late I've been searching out audio resources for daily prayer (my one working eye having now decided it's going to have a good go at packing up completely - I mean, thanks, thanks a llot, that's very thoughtful)

Er, so, anyway, here's what I've eo dar:

Audible sell The Cambridge Liturgical Psalter, which is the ASB psalter read by David Frost. They also have the Ancient Faith Psalter, one of the translations from the LXX - this one's quite neat as it's divided up so thr 20 kathismata are read across the weeuk, and you get both a straight read version and a second read through in a softly chanted voice.

Via iTunes I found Eikona, an Orthodox music group from the US, who as well as releasing music have recorded prayers - this includes Morning Prayer and Small Compline, chanted by a single voice.

And then I found the Agpeya, the Coptic book of hours, which goes through about 60% of the psalter every day - you can get albums of most of the hours on iTunes, and there's also the Audio Agpeya app which, whilst having a few inefficiencies, has recordings of the full cycle. A version of the text is also available through iBooks.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
willht
Apprentice
# 17633

- Posted      Profile for willht   Author's homepage   Email willht       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cannot recommend enough the audio daily offices from Nashotah. There is a sung office each weekday (Evensong - weekdays except Thursday and Matins- Thursday) with a weekly link to the lectionary and sung materials from the 1982 Episcopal hymnal.

Web address appears below:
www.nashotah.edu/daily-offices

Posts: 2 | From: charlotte, nc USA | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016