homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Christmas Sermons (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Christmas Sermons
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Heard this done a few years ago: preacher agreed with the sentiment, pointing out that in the massacre of the Holy Innocents and the forced exile of the new-born Christ-child, it was indeed all about the children.

Cue complaints all round [Snigger]

Was that on Christmas Day or Holy Innocents'? Appropriate for the second (although I get puzzled why it should come before Epiphany). Not appropriate on the 25th.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So he assumes his (I assume his) churchgoers are voyeurs!!
I agree with the previous [Projectile]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cathscats:
You want to avoid one I heard about last year [deleted the bit I don't want to think about]

I can't see any occasion where that anecdote would be appropriate, least of all a Christmas sermon. The Incarnational theology that is implied is even more heretical than most of the stuff we normally hear at Christmas (including in the lyrics of many of our carols).

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You want to avoid one I heard about last year, where the preacher compared the incarnation (God showing us himself) to the preacher himself as a boy wondering what a naked woman looked like and peering through a crack in the bedroom door at his mother... [Frown]

That poor man needs to retire, move, or take a vacation until after Candlemas.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Permanently rather than just until February.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the question was if anyone remembers Christmas sermons. The answer, in that case, is certainly yes.

My father once visited a church that claimed to poses Jesus' used diaper, which he thought was a spectacular commentary on the incarnation. My temptation, as the father of a two year old, would be to take that a step too far and focus on the gross implications of the incarnation- God coming down and becoming a pooping and puking baby, just like us. Maybe avoid too much of that?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was not present at the service, but the sermon was certain memorable enough for people to be talking about it for quite a while afterwards: one Christmas Eve the previous senior minister at the church where I work discussed the possibility that Mary was pregnant before being married because she had been raped by a Roman soldier.* Opinions about the idea itself were varied, but a lot of people present thought it was highly inappropriate for the occasion, and a few walked out.

*First put forward by Jane Schaberg?

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I was not present at the service, but the sermon was certain memorable enough for people to be talking about it for quite a while afterwards: one Christmas Eve the previous senior minister at the church where I work discussed the possibility that Mary was pregnant before being married because she had been raped by a Roman soldier.* Opinions about the idea itself were varied, but a lot of people present thought it was highly inappropriate for the occasion, and a few walked out.

*First put forward by Jane Schaberg?

It's been floating around for at least 1,500 years if not longer, though I can't remember the reference. Poaaibly in Josephus or one of the earliest commentators.

JOhn

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Well, the question was if anyone remembers Christmas sermons. The answer, in that case, is certainly yes.

My father once visited a church that claimed to poses Jesus' used diaper,

Cloth or disposable?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
quote:

My father once visited a church that claimed to poses Jesus' used diaper,

Cloth or disposable?
It miraculously cleansed, sterilised and dried itself.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing like stigmata then? No mystical shit miraculously appearing after the morning after epiphany?

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, no, no, no, people. The little Lord Jesus shat a mystical substance that evaporated into a sweet incense smoke after ten minutes. His nappies wete left with a gilded emblem resembling the lion of Judah.

God, I love the Ship.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for this freak--
quote:
You want to avoid one I heard about last year, where the preacher compared the incarnation (God showing us himself) to the preacher himself as a boy wondering what a naked woman looked like and peering through a crack in the bedroom door at his mother... [Frown]

Holy shit. [Eek!]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Pancho
Shipmate
# 13533

- Posted      Profile for Pancho   Author's homepage   Email Pancho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My father once visited a church that claimed to poses Jesus' used diaper, which he thought was a spectacular commentary on the incarnation.

I'll just leave this here.

--------------------
“But to what shall I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the market places and calling to their playmates, ‘We piped to you, and you did not dance;
we wailed, and you did not mourn.’"

Posts: 1988 | From: Alta California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

I knew you'd be along, Pancho. [Big Grin]

One article in The Wittenburg Door announced that fossilized remains of Mary's morning sickness had been found on a road leading to Bethlehem, and that Vatican City was in an uproar with people arguing whether that was a first or second class relic.

Which brings us back to Jesus's diapies...

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to hand it to people who must preach every year at Christmas. It can't be easy coming up with a new take on things.

That said, the bits about Jesus' diapers and the preacher peeking through the bathroom door at his mom make me glad I'm a Quaker. Not gloating here; we can have some off-the-wall "vocal ministry" (people speaking from the silence) but it's a little easier to let that go in one ear and out the other.

And my Mennonite Church will probably have its usual tie in with social justice.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pancho:
quote:

My father once visited a church that claimed to poses Jesus' used diaper, which he thought was a spectacular commentary on the incarnation.

I'll just leave this here.
This is exactly why I went from being a 20 something Anglophile to 30 something Castillophile.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year I read the passage about Arthur's carol service from "Skallagrig" by William Horwood in place of a sermon the Sunday before Christmas. Probably not suitable for Christmas Day itself but the congregation were spellbound. We had rather a long gap before the Creed because the vicar and servers were all crying and needed time to recover!

It's not well known. Arthur has severe cerebral palsy, is assumed to have profound learning disability as well (which he doesn't) and is in a grim institution. This service is a blaze of light and hope in the middle of it all and has a profound effect on his life.

Does anyone else know it? I can tell a bit more of the story but don't think I can post a link.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
Last year I read the passage about Arthur's carol service from "Skallagrig" by William Horwood in place of a sermon the Sunday before Christmas.

Thanks for the heads up I love that book, but read it so long ago that I'd forgotten that passage.
I try to read a poem or short passage from a non-scripture source rather than preach at carol services. Malcolm Guite's Refugee (scroll down) has featured heavily in the last couple of years.

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
Oh, no, no, no, people. The little Lord Jesus shat a mystical substance that evaporated into a sweet incense smoke after ten minutes. His nappies wete left with a gilded emblem resembling the lion of Judah.

These kids seem to think differently (see around 2:48).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Christmas sermon this year was based around the genealogy of Jesus, focusing on the few women mentioned: Tamar, Ruth, Rahab, Uriah and Mary.

The possible choices for a woman were rape victim, cursed Moabite (barely above helpless and rescued by marriage), prostitute, sexual conquest for alpha males and virgin mother.

Then we segued to in Christ there is no male or female and how the world could be a better place without barriers of gender and ethnicity between us, and that Jesus came to break down barriers.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:

These kids seem to think differently (see around 2:48).
I like these kids. They made sure Baby Jesus got Jordans!

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

Thus subtly hinting at his coming baptism by John.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Our Christmas sermon this year was based around the genealogy of Jesus, focusing on the few women mentioned: Tamar, Ruth, Rahab, Uriah and Mary.

Uriah? That could lead itself to some interesting interpretation of 2 Kings 11. An Amazon in the army of David.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nothing like stigmata then? No mystical shit miraculously appearing after the morning after epiphany?

I can just imagine the office hymn for the Feast of the True Shit, celebrated on 7 Jan:

Ave, verum stercore,
Brunneis, et foetida...

Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The possible choices for a woman were rape victim, cursed Moabite (barely above helpless and rescued by marriage), prostitute, sexual conquest for alpha males and virgin mother.

Then we segued to in Christ there is no male or female and how the world could be a better place without barriers of gender and ethnicity between us, and that Jesus came to break down barriers.

I can't see whether, in context, this was a good or a bad sermon to have preached. But, at the very least, it sounds a bit more interesting than the somewhat bland fare one associates with Christmas and hopefully got people thinking - unless it was deliberately intended to shock and startle, which would have been going too far.

As I've said upthread, I do feel that Christmas tends to be the best attended but least theologically-explained festival of the Christian year - which isn't to say that I expect preachers to deliver a 45-minute mega-message on the meaning of kenosis on Christmas morning.

[ 26. December 2016, 08:55: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

PS That post was meant to begin "I can't say whether ...".
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
quote:

Uriah? That could lead itself to some interesting interpretation of 2 Kings 11. An Amazon in the army of David.
That gets a [Overused] .

More seriously, did the sermon point out that Bathsheba is not named in the genealogy? The others are, but she is just 'of Uriah', even though the readers knew perfectly well what her name was, i.e. 'that woman'.

Incidentally, I'm not so sure the conventional picture of Bathsheba as a poor exploited woman taken advantage of is the whole picture. Her intervention in 1 Kings 1 when David is dying, to make sure her her son bounces his older half-brothers in the succession do not give the impression of the actions of a cypher, one to whom things are done, rather than one who is herself an active agent.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Bathsheba was clearly exploited in the bathing-on-the-roof part of the story -- passed from one man to the other like a bar of chocolate. However, by the time Solomon is on deck at least twenty years must have passed -- he is old enough to be king. She could not have made a convincing case for a kid, even a youth. So she had twenty years of harem politics and experience behind her. She wasn't 15-20 (no idea how old she was when she was Mrs. Uriah) but at least 35-40.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Incidentally, I'm not so sure the conventional picture of Bathsheba as a poor exploited woman taken advantage of is the whole picture. Her intervention in 1 Kings 1 when David is dying, to make sure her her son bounces his older half-brothers in the succession do not give the impression of the actions of a cypher, one to whom things are done, rather than one who is herself an active agent.

Well, a lot of years had passed. Perhaps she had learned from David and come into her own, as it were.

Our sermon focused on the first words the angel said to Joseph (and the shepherds and just about everyone else in scripture to whom an angel appears): "Do not be afraid." Coupled with the names of Jesus (you shall call his name Jesus/Emmanuel), the gist could be boiled down to "Do not be afraid. The God who saves/delivers is with us."

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I think Bathsheba was clearly exploited in the bathing-on-the-roof part of the story -- passed from one man to the other like a bar of chocolate. However, by the time Solomon is on deck at least twenty years must have passed -- he is old enough to be king. She could not have made a convincing case for a kid, even a youth. So she had twenty years of harem politics and experience behind her. She wasn't 15-20 (no idea how old she was when she was Mrs. Uriah) but at least 35-40.

She was almost certainly 15 to 20 when she was Mrs. Uriah, as the text makes it clear that they were married, but she was not pregnant (therefore the post menstrual bath) and most likely had no children yet (who would have muddied up the story in a pretty major way, being likely to want to avenge themselves on David at some point, and in the meantime being young and yowly and in need of a home).

The statistics people tell us that the average couple has an 85% chance of pregnancy within a year of unprotected sex. The fact that Uriah was gone with the army would impact that some, but probably not as much as you'd think, given that warfare then was seasonal.

So yeah, all in all, I'd say about 16 or so. Certainly not in a position to tell the king to piss off. (and probably not nearly as cynical and suspicious as she would have become later)

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I can't say whether, in context, this was a good or a bad sermon to have preached.

I took it as a good sermon. It was thought provoking and produced some discussion afterwards. I'm also all in favour of gender barriers being challenged.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Fair enough!
keibat
Shipmate
# 5287

- Posted      Profile for keibat   Email keibat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To bring the discussion back from the happy clappy nappy digressions...

The Adventual pre-Christmas and Christmas itself now being comfortably behind us, I note that at most of the services of the season that I was at, a clear majority of the congregation were folk I don't remember seeing in church before, tho' probably a fair proportion of them were there last year, when I evidently wasn't paying so much attention.

That shifts the context for Christmas sermons so very drastically. You can't take for granted even the shaky knowledge of Scripture, Christian theology, or liturgical practice that you can at least nod to with regular(ish) churchfolk. To my mind that rules out Archbishop Thomas' sermon from Murder in the Cathedral that Georgiaboy recalled just as much as my own suggestion of St John Chrysostom's golden oratory – tho' the latter didn't seem to be a total failure; however, that was with a relatively churched churchful, definitely more so than at our Midnight Mass or Christmas Day Eucharist.

The sermon I liked best this year was probably the five-minuter with the theme of 'Heaven touching earth' repeated like a refrain and finally morphing into 'Earth reaching up to heaven.'

Preaching to the unchurched is so much bigger a challenge than to the churched.

--------------------
keibat from the finnish north and the lincs east rim

Posts: 93 | From: Alford, Lincs + Turku, Finland | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Christmas Day, I read the sermon from Murder in the Cathedral. People who like that sort of thing liked it and people who don't like that sort of thing did not. On Christmas Eve, I told a story about a priest in England who as a child wanted to see a naked woman... [Biased]

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth, my two Christmas (very short) sermons - one at the carol service and the other on Christmas Day - were about peace and the Incarnation.

The peace one reflected on there being no peace in the world, quoting Chesterton's reply to the Times' 'what's wrong with the world?' by letter: Dear Sir, I am, Yours GK Chesterton and saying that let there be peace in earth begins with us.

The CD one said that the Incarnation was good news not just because He is Immanuel: 'God with us' but because in him a Saviour has been born; and that's the good news - we can be forgiven.

[ 29. December 2016, 00:31: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

For the record, the short message I preached at our Carol Service was about the sheer "earthiness" and reality (as opposed to romanticised sentimentality) of the nativity scene. The slightly longer one I preached on Christmas Day was about the words and greetings we commonly use at Christmas, leading to thoughts about Jesus as God's perfect Word to humanity.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At last year's Midnight Mass, Mother Vicar shared a few thoughts about the role in the story of the rather understated St. Joseph. This year, she focussed on the strength and toughness, despite her tender years, of Our Lady.

Both sermons were short and to the point - 5 minutes at the most - and look, I've remembered them!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kuruman (to whom I am married, to those who don't recall) went back to our old pad St Triangles' on the Sides of the North. (I have a policy of not going back until a decade has passed). The young Turks there are doing a great job under stringent circumstances. She reckons the one on deck on Christmas Eve preached a good sermon.

Then another.

Then another.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Ah - tell them what you're going to tell them, tell them, and then tell them what you've told them!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year's Christmas sermon is memorable for me because my son was the preacher. He is a third-year seminarian completing his studies. He has preached before at other places. It is the first time he preached at our home congregation. His main point was that we should not celebrate something in the past but be Christ incarnate today.

The darn thing of it all was he refused to let me record it. He has a deal about taken sermons out of context of the liturgy.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And was the prophet honored in his own country?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016