homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » MW report 3101: St Paul’s, Charlestown, England

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: MW report 3101: St Paul’s, Charlestown, England
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This report mentions the tune "Lingham" being used fr "While Shepherds Watched". Actually the tune is "Lyngham" and, while possibly not widely used for this carol (paraphrase) outside Cornwall, it is widely used in Nonconformist churches for "O for a thousand tongues to sing".

See it here; I also have this setting on a recently purchased CD by part of the group Coope, Boyes & Simpson and friends (they sang it at a concert we went to in Colchester just befre Christmas).

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Link to report. Correction has been made. Thanks for pointing it out.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I was puzzled by that. It may be regarded by some of the old guard as a bit Methody (sic) but Lyngham is widely known these days and popular as the tune for O for a thousand tongues even in the staid old CofE. It's also not only Cornwall where it is sometimes used as a more cheerful alternative to the dreary Winchester Old provided in all the hymn books for While shepherds watched.

What not everybody seems to realise is that the well known song Ilkley Moor was originally a spoof version of While shepherds watched. The tune, Cranbrook, is another tune in Common Metre with repeats that has been associated widely with While shepherds watched, particularly in Yorkshire where Ilkley Moor happens to be.

I still think this tune Old Fosters, also from Yorkshire, is one of the best for While shepherds watched, whether sung by a skilled choir as on the link or bawled out by enthusiastic carol singers. I defy anyone to listen to it and not feel uplifted.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I misread as 'lingam' which is a Hindu phallic symbol.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ad of course "Cranbrook" doesn't come from Yorkshire but Kent! At the concert I went to, we were told that there were over 400 tunes to "While Shepherds".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here's the first verse, to 'The Yorkshire Tune'!

Great stuff - eat yer 'art out, Old Winchester...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcwCG1X1-HU

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyngham - that goes with the paraphrase 'Hark how the adoring hosts above', no?

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed it does, and very nicely, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf87Etxcu1Q&nohtml5=False

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
David Goode
Shipmate
# 9224

- Posted      Profile for David Goode     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I misread as 'lingam' which is a Hindu phallic symbol.

That was also my immediate thought. Good tune for the office hymn of the feast of the circumcision!
Posts: 654 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've sung While Shepherds to Lyngham on several occasions, and I've never been to Cornwall.

The use of the tune for On Ilkley Moor regularly comes up in "unexpected tunes for hymns" threads over the years here. But, I've not previously heard that it was originally used for While Shepherds and only later re-used for the more bawdy folk song.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was at the Dickens re-enactment at Kentwell Hall in December, re-creating 1869, and we sang While Shepherd's Watched to the tune of On Ilkley Moor at the carol service. My understanding was that it was a common version used up to the mid-nineteenth century, until the 1860s publication of Hymns Ancient and Modern promoted the now more familiar tune.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Much to my surprise (and the choir's delight), our Organist chose "Cranbrook" for this year's Carol Service. He was concerned that people would have trouble singing it - of course they didn't and, with one exception, they loved it!

At our Family Service a week earlier, we sung the jolly ditty “On a night when the world” which goes to "The Twelve Days of Christmas" excellent for a largely unchurched congregation with lots of children present.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The legend I heard was that it was made up by a group of young Methodists walking back on a dark night from some Methodist gathering in the C19 - an equivalent of its time of the various versions we used to sing about shepherds washing their socks by night.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was the tune we did in the part of the north of England I lived in for a while. When it was done with the church choir, we had our local handbell ringers doing the dingy-dongy bits. Fabulous!

'Sweet chiming Christmas bells/While shepherds watched'.

Hard to go back to the old tune after this!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Oooh! Flashback to The Church Of My Yoof - our vicar, oo coom from oop north, introduced us to the 'chiming bells' tune one year....but no-one seemed to like it very much... [Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like "Oh Susanna" to me.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

Yes, I rather like the Sweet Bells version. I've long had a vague feeling that it's the Salvation Army version, but I don't know why.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, Vicar from oop north reckoned it was a Sally Army tune.

I have to admit I much prefer Cranbrook, Lyngham and/or Foster !

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

We use that for "The bells ring out at Christmas-time".

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016