homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Changed Churches (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Changed Churches
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to learn more, much much more, about the Agapemones. Can anyone recommend books? (Put it in a message to avoid clogging this thread.)

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I need to learn more, much much more, about the Agapemones. Can anyone recommend books? (Put it in a message to avoid clogging this thread.)

Oh no. Please post it, even if it is a tangent. Spaxton's not all that far from here.

There's a list of texts etc on this wiki page, but if any shipmates know anything about them, it would be great to know.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Betjeman had a section about them in his programme "Metroland".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Astonishingly (to me), Hugh Smyth-Piggott's granddaughters are still alive and a lawsuit about the Agapemone's funds was decided last December.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good gracious! Someone is going to have the interesting task of finding out what bodies now most closely resemble the Agapemonites, in order to distribute the dosh... [Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would have been easy back in the 70s, they could have sent it to David Berg's "Children of God"/"Family of Love".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is probably apocryphal, but I was told the story by one East Ender of how Smyth Piggot was nearly lynched by an angry mob after he failed to turn Clapton Pond into wine, as he had promised.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clapton is very much an in-betweener area - in the current London Borough of Hackney, but not East End and not trendy North London either.

It was probably more up market when the Agapemonites moved in.

[ 15. February 2017, 08:54: Message edited by: venbede ]

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I think the words you are looking for are "edgy", "buzzy" and "vibrant".
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Thank you. Trendy is a very dated term now, other than in The Daily Telegraph letters column (presumably - I haven't looked at it for years).

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

The other word I perhaps could have added was "gritty". Mind you, I haven't actually been to Clapton for many years!
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

Areas in London go up market with surprising rapidity, so for all I know Clapton is now a yuppies paradise, with a sprinkling of Georgian Orthodox clerics.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I don't know. But Zoopla (that ever-reliable guide to house prices) says that the average value of a property in the area is Ł516,823.

Well, that's what it was five minutes ago, anyway.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
This is probably apocryphal, but I was told the story by one East Ender of how Smyth Piggot was nearly lynched by an angry mob after he failed to turn Clapton Pond into wine, as he had promised.

Apochryphal? It's perfect! I adore it and will happily repurpose it.

--------------------

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
I don't know. But Zoopla (that ever-reliable guide to house prices) says that the average value of a property in the area is Ł516,823.

Well, that's what it was five minutes ago, anyway.

How does that compare with Stoke Newington or Finsbury Park?

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new 2-bed apartment in Stoke Newington will set you back about Ł600k.

[Help]

BTW, the former hospital chapel I mentioned in the OP has recently been vacated by the Celestial Church of Christ (why, I know not - maybe The Rapture occurred, but just for the CCC?). It's advertised as being To Let, so I'll be interested to see who (or what) takes it on.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of hospital chapels:

St Luke's Chapel

Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Asylum Chapel, which was certainly in regular use in the 1960s (college chaplains found it an agreeable excursion) is now home to Capoeira classes (Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian mix of dance, fight, music, song, tradition, theatre, and more.)
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by american piskie:
Talking of hospital chapels:

St Luke's Chapel

I rather liked it when it was a chapel though...

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, to pursue the Oxford tangent, in addition to the RI chapel, St Nicholas the Wonderworker and the chapel at the Warneford....

PhilJim (St Philip and St James, 1860s, GE Street) on the Woodstock Road became the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies in 1983.

St Paul's (1830s Greek Revival) in Walton Street was deconsecrated in the 1960s and is now a restaurant/cafe/bar.

St Peter-le-Bailey, New Inn Hall Street, became a college chapel in 1961.

All Saints, High Street, has been Lincoln College library since 1971.

St Peter in the East, Queen's Lane, which is 12th century, became St Edmund Hall's library in the 1970s.

St Cross Holywell (11th century) is now an archive for Balliol College. It closed as a church in 2008.

Thankfully many others soldier on...

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:

PhilJim (St Philip and St James, 1860s, GE Street) on the Woodstock Road became the Oxford Centre for Mission Studies in 1983.

Ah, the first parish of which I was a churchwarden.

But returning to chapels, the chapel of St Basil's Home for Aged Women (corner of Iffley Road and Magdalen Road; controlled by Clewer Sisters) became in 1965-ish the common room of Exeter College's graduate house. Dr Kemp advised against enquiring too closely about its consecration status.

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

Lord Nuffield's St Luke's became the Oxfordshire History Centre.
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

quote:

Thankfully many others soldier on...

Although St John the Baptist finally after six centuries slipped into the complete control of Merton College.
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

The first edition of All Saints Highfield (whose vicar will soon be celebrating his sixtieth year in the incumbency) has been for many years the local Scout Hut -- visible over the garden wall as I type this.
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Lord Nuffield's St Luke's became the Oxfordshire History Centre.

yes, I'd forgotten St Luke's - I've always rather liked it architecturally, in a sort of local authority design way.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Drove past the site of a church in Sterling, Virginia today. It was an old building, boarded up for at least five years now, and with a number of interesting bits of stone in the yard -- some columns and lintels. All of a sudden they are gone and the building has been bulldozed. The hoarding at the front says it is going to be a bank.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A savings bank?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
A savings bank?

[Killing me]

Perhaps my best laugh of the day.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:

Ah, the first parish of which I was a churchwarden.

But returning to chapels, the chapel of St Basil's Home for Aged Women (corner of Iffley Road and Magdalen Road; controlled by Clewer Sisters) became in 1965-ish the common room of Exeter College's graduate house. Dr Kemp advised against enquiring too closely about its consecration status.

Good grief - I lived next door to that - the alleyway went between my kitchen wall and the building you're talking about - for 3 years and always assumed it was an old stable block!

(from the Magdalen Road/Stanley Road alleyway side it's a very plain 19th century wall with small high up windows, I'm not a complete idiot - certainly nothing like a chapel)

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This has made me start thinking about the New Zealand scene.

One village I pass through on the main highway once had three small churches. One is now a craft shop, one was moved (not difficult when they're all small wooden buildings) to be a university chapel, and the catholic church is now shared with two other denominations.

Up and down the country, little old churches have become cafés, craft shops or private homes.

When I was a baby (early 1930s) a farmer cut up a seaside tract of land for residential/retirement/holiday building. My grandmother bought a section and my father the adjoining one, on which he built what was basically a large garage with bunks at the back and a kitchen/living area one side. Church services were held there or in members' homes. Then Gran heard that a prominent corner site might be bought for a dance hall. She either bought it herself or persuaded the Presbyterian church to buy it. Two old army huts were brought to the site and converted into a church building, where Gran played the organ and her eldest, unmarried daughter organised the Sunday School. Every Saturday Gran had a cake stall under the macrocarpa tree by the shops to raise funds.
Eventually people began to prefer to be part of a larger congregation and moved to the next Presbyterian church a few miles up the coast – Gran's generation of old folk without cars had died out. There was a final service in the church, and it became a comfortable private home.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

St John the Evangelist Iffley Road became the college chapel for Staggers - who themselves had taken over the Cowley Fathers' mission house and chapel in Marston Street.

--------------------

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

The chapel of the old Workhouse in East Oxford is now incorporated in the Asian Cultural Centre and seems to be the base of the Oxford Soup Kitchen; the vicar of SS Mary and John said mass there on Saturday mornings until the mid-seventies.

The former Unitarian chapel in Percy Street was bought and used as a parsonage/church hall by St Alban's in the parish of SS Mary and John.

I do not know what became of the Chapel at the top of the Mission House at 14 Magdalen Road; when I was last there in the late 1970s all the stained glass panels were heaped up on one side and the stalls and altar in disarray. I suppose it's now just another room in the house.

american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

quote:
Good grief - I lived next door to that - the alleyway went between my kitchen wall and the building you're talking about - for 3 years and always assumed it was an old stable block!

(from the Magdalen Road/Stanley Road alleyway side it's a very plain 19th century wall with small high up windows, I'm not a complete idiot - certainly nothing like a chapel)

You must have been within spitting distance of the dear kind sisters' morgue; I think it became a store-room---probably now a study-bedroom!

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016