homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Triduum – derivation

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Triduum – derivation
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that the plural of dies was ‘dies’
So where does the ‘duum’in triduum sacrum come from?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tribus diebus comes up on google translate for Three days in Latin.

I was a Latin scholar too long ago now, but I retain a comprehension knowledge of it. So far, I have looked in vain for the etymology of Triduum.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Triduum is found in Souter's 'Glossary of Later Latin to 600AD'.
Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I thought that the plural of dies was ‘dies’
So where does the ‘duum’in triduum sacrum come from?

Triduum is singular, not plural. It translates better as "a three-day period" rather than simply "three days"—think "a fortnight" as compared to "fourteen nights." It can refer to any three-day period or observance (such as the minor rogation days or All Hallows' Eve/All Saints' Day/All Souls' Day), though the Paschal Triduum is, of course, what is usually meant by the word, especially if it is used without any qualifier.

The -duum in Triduum is related to Latin dies. The plural, btw, is tridua.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it helps anything the Greek version is "Triodion." In words the two languages share, "-ion" is often the analogue of "-ium".

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Nick Tamen so rightly says 'Triduum' is used in ecclesiastical language for a period of three consecutive days.It is usually qualified with the word 'Easter' or' Paschal'
In Italian the form of the word is 'triduo' as an ordinary masculine singular word - il triduo sacro - is the Sacred triduum.
Another consecutive celebration in the Catholic liturgy is the 'triduo' which lasts for 'Quarant'ore' or 40 hours.This used to be a popular devotion in Catholic parishes which lasted for three days or 40 hours of Exposition
of the Most Blessed Sacrament.The church would be decorated in the richest way possible with flowers and candles to honour the presence of Chris in the Sacred Host.

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about the typo - for 'Chris' read 'Christ'.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

[Tangent]I once got into trouble with that when I used a global find and replace in (fortunately) my own copy of a wedding order of service where the previous groom had been Chris, and I altered every occurrence of Chris to Michael, forgetting to ask it to do whole words only![/Tangent]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I seem to remember seeing a typo in a church bulletin, or maybe it was a cake for Easter, that said "Chris is risen!"

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

The mistake, at least I think it was a mistake, in a parish bulletin was an invitation to the parishioners to come and join a great 'parish sin-along'
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:

[Tangent]I once got into trouble with that when I used a global find and replace in (fortunately) my own copy of a wedding order of service where the previous groom had been Chris, and I altered every occurrence of Chris to Michael, forgetting to ask it to do whole words only![/Tangent]
I did that with a funeral. Replacing May with Ethel, with the result of things like the blessing reading 'Ethel Almighty God...'
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
quote:

I did that with a funeral. Replacing May with Ethel, with the result of things like the blessing reading 'Ethel Almighty God...'
I was once at the Maundy Thursday mass at one of Manchester's Anglo-Catholic parishes, which had, the previous year, had one of the area bishops for most of the Holy Week services.

Presumably, in preparing the current year's services, someone had just done a "find and replace" on the word bishop for, in the intercessions, we were asked to pray for "Nigel, Presider of Manchester", which the person just read without batting an eyelid.

[ 08. April 2017, 00:17: Message edited by: The Scrumpmeister ]

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016