homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Asparagus (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Asparagus
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first photograph in this article really says it all. The procession seems to be the priest, the guy holding a very large bundle of asparagus, a fellow -dressed- as a spear of asparagus, and then a Knight Templar. Am I right? And it looks fully choral!
In the US we occasionally have the Blessing of the Animals (conducted, if at all possible and after tearful pleas from the Altar Guild, outdoors) but we usually do not do vegetables.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
The first photograph in this article really says it all.

That photograph looks like it's straight out of Monty Python.

"Bless, O Lord, these thy spears of asparagus, even to the woody bits . . . ."

(Though that's not a Templar in the back. Wrong style of cross. According to the Article, that's none other than St. George.)

[ 28. April 2017, 14:22: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But ... why? Is St. George noted for eating asparagus? Was he a famous resident of Worcester?
I note that the Monty Python analogy has occurred to more than one commentator.
The choir's robes, a natty purple, very nice with the white collars.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the Crusader is the guy who used to be on the Tate & Lyle sugar packets when I was a kid ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You just KNOW that photo is going to show up in the Caption Competition, right?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But ... why? Is St. George noted for eating asparagus? Was he a famous resident of Worcester?

You'll note that the dateline for the article is April 25—St. George's Day, though the service appears to have been on Sunday the 23rd. And St. George is the patron saint of England. (Note that the shield he carries bears the Cross of St. George with the three English lions in the second quarter. Why they're not in the first quarter, which would be the place of honor, I can't say.)

quote:
I note that the Monty Python analogy has occurred to more than one commentator.
Yes, after I posted, I read the article more carefully and saw that. It's noted in the Archbishop Cranmer blog entry as well. It is something of a Bingo free space.

[ 28. April 2017, 14:55: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That guy looks like he's playing the panpipes.

--------------------
arse

Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will admit that when I saw the title of this thread, I thought that it was a jestful reference to the Asperges. In the Latin Mass circuit, we have long called it the Asparagus, in lighter moments.

[ 28. April 2017, 15:12: Message edited by: Ceremoniar ]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
JLB
Apprentice
# 10670

- Posted      Profile for JLB   Email JLB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is nothing to do with St. George. The area around Worcester is the country's main asparagus growing area, which is now in season. Although urban areas have forgotten it, many churches would have had particular times of prayer associated with the agricultural year locally. I assume that this is what is happenining here - a thanksgiving for this important harvest.
Posts: 28 | From: wiltshire | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Both Americans and Canadians have a Thanksgiving holiday in the fall which is nominally harvest-related. It seems entirely proper for people to pray and be thankful for the things that are important in their daily lives - blessing fishing fleets and so on. Somewhere there is a picture of a priest during WW2 blessing a Jeep.
I'm just not certain about the guy dressed as an asparagus spear. That's not a gig you want to put on your resume.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by JLB:
This is nothing to do with St. George.

The article to which the OP linked suggests otherwise:

quote:
Known as "Gus", the Asparagus Man who appeared at the service has been a part of the annual asparagus festival since 2008.

He is one of a group of asparagus characters which take part in the festival, which also includes the Asparamancer, Eve the AsparaFairy, the Asparagus King and St George.

Dr Brierley said: "Recently, Vale of Evesham asparagus has been awarded EU protected name status, and when the festival organisers asked if a round of asparagus could be blessed in a service at the cathedral on St George’s day, the first day of the farming season, the cathedral was very happy to include a thanksgiving for the vegetable at its evening service, as a sign of the abundant provision and generosity of God.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

Unfortunately it's copyrighted.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The interviewed the asparagus costume man on CBC radio. So it's certainly got wheels this story. We heard it a supper yesterday. We talked about other things which we'd seen have been blessed: children's backpacks, knitted clothing and quilts. I'm wondering what the list of all blessible items might include. And wonder if we might stop at people.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in USA wine country we bless the grapes each year, so why not asparagus? A blessing is giving thanks for something. When the church fills the altar with fruits and veggies at our annual Thanksgiving service no one thinks that is strange at all.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

I don't think it's the blessing of a crop—and one important to the region, at that—that's strange. Seems very reasonable and appropriate to me.

What's strange and . . . unedifying? . . . is having costumed characters in the mix. Sort of detracts from the reverence.

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Perhaps they're hoping for a tourist turnout? If I were in the region I'd certainly consider going...

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I love being British.

(And I don't even like asparagus.)

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a thread a whole back about articulated puppetry that was making an appearance in Episcopalian and Presbyterian services in the US and elsewhere ...

Nobody knew what all that was about either ...

As for tourist turnout, most of Britain's medieval cathedrals get a fair number of tourists as it is. I've been to a number of cathedral services where I've felt slightly self-conscious as if I'm an exhibit or something ...

I was struck by how many of the tourists cross themselves or bow reverently before wandering on to take some pics.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Cathedral here sometimes has 'Blessing Of The [whatever]' services (e.g. the Plough - complete with beautiful antique plough nicely posed on the floor of the Quire), but AFAIK there are usually no worthies in costume (other than the choir and clergy, of course).

By all means let [whatever] be blessed, and thanksgiving made, especially if it's important to the area. Our faith is incarnational, no?

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

A friend of mine was in the choir at that service. Apparently it was also the St George's Day celebration for the local Scouts.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are photographs here of the late Rev Graeme Longmuir blessing the River Don fishings with a quaich full of whisky.

This is a secular event, which includes a blessing, rather than a religious service.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been to a number of cathedral services where I've felt slightly self-conscious as if I'm an exhibit or something
I've taken to making the most (no, that should just be 'making just a little bit more than nothing') of living in what used to be the inner-city, by going to evensong at our cathedral. I know what you mean.

If folks turned up dressed as vegetables, I might feel like I was getting another run at what ever madness had transpired at family service that morning at our own church.

My kids would be outright alarmed. We would hiss 'rubber head' at each other, look at the floor, and try to become inconspicuous by pure will, like English chameleons.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Used to hunt those little devils when I was a kid. They grew wild along the ditch banks where I grew up Love the real little ones, so tender.

Take note: asparagus is one of the early crops in temperate climes. Enjoy them while you can.

Next up: the Feast of the Rhubarb

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would've thought Brussel sprouts* were the vegetables most in need of people's prayers, being such a universally hated food.

*Soon to be known as Freedom sprouts after Brexit.

Mr Cheesy - loved the panpipes allusion. Caught myself looking for the 'like' icon!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The usual Harvest Festival here. Ours is coming up in a couple of weeks, and these days much of the harvest is canned food to go to needy families, as well as the more traditional fresh fruit and vegetables.

A few other similar events through the year. The Orthodoxen dive into the water around fishing vessels being blessed - a ring is thrown into the water and there's a special blessing for the one who finds it, something like that. No asparagus person though.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:

Unfortunately it's copyrighted.
Curses! Foiled again!

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can see blessing the asparagus, if it's a major crop for the area. After all, as mentioned in this thread, there are blessings of animals, boats, etc.

But the guy in the asparagus costume seems a little over the top for a mainstream church service, and the guy dressed as St George just seems a bit... odd.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Signaller
Shipmate
# 17495

- Posted      Profile for Signaller   Email Signaller   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
You'll note that the dateline for the article is April 25—St. George's Day, though the service appears to have been on Sunday the 23rd. And St. George is the patron saint of England.

April 23rd is St George's day, in England at any rate.
Posts: 113 | From: Metroland | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
quote:
You'll note that the dateline for the article is April 25—St. George's Day, though the service appears to have been on Sunday the 23rd. And St. George is the patron saint of England.

Ack! You're right, of course. My brother's birthday is how I remember when it falls, and my not-fully-caffeinated mind made it the day after his birthday rather than the day before. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Incidentally, some of the Orthodox have been taking the rise out of this on social media and wagging their beards saying that this is yet another nail in the coffin for the CofE ... and, of course, it's mostly former Anglicans turned Orthodox who are saying that ...

Mind you, as much as I enjoy English eccentricity - I'm Anglo-Welsh ... guys in rubber asparagus suits or dressed as St George seems a bit OTT ... and my reaction, were I there, would have been similar to how Mark_in_manchester describes what his would have been ...

Mind you, the Orthodox get up to some pretty wierd stuff too ... so they can't shout.

--------------------

dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiously, as with worshipping vegetables in general, reading Adrisn Hilton doesn't raise me heaven- or God-ward either.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On Iona this Easter the Abbey did Stations of the Cross with help from Bishops House and the Parish Church.

I overheard two locals talking later. The major comment was on the amateur nature of the event but one then said that if he was on holiday and saw this sort of thing he would be delighted. I think implying that it would be seen as an authentic cultural event and the amateur nature of it just increased that.

I know others differed in their opinion of the event. Indeed it was an important part of my own Easter celebration. Why I repeat here this anecdote is the second guy's clear understanding of how our perspective changes how we see things.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signaller:
quote:

It's transferred when it falls during the Easter Octave. So it was on the 24th this year.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the loveliest services I ever went to was at the end of the Olney Pancake races. The women arrived in church, still dressed in their pinnies and carrying their frying pans. The winner was presented with an Olney Hymn Book and we were all shriven. Full story here, well worth a read.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I note that the "conservative" voices have been raised in loud and rude condemnation of this event, despite it being an example of a fairly normal blessing service. One blesses something that is important in one's community - the fishing fleet at the start of a season, for instance, or, in at least one case near here, the Brussels Sprout Festival with it's attendant church participation.

But why is it necessary to be so rude while complaining that no-one treats you with respect?

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the Torygraph retains a few 'Anglicans' of the Disgusted-of-Tunbridge-Wells variety on its payroll, so that they can be trotted out if there's nothing else worth complaining about.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect that the accumulated rage inside someone who hasn't yet reconciled themselves to the 1832 Reform Act, and can barely contemplate thinking about the 1911 budget, makes it difficult to exercise restraint.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone has a specific copy of the liturgy they use?

I don't like asparagus, but I love the idea of blessing vegetables. After all, we need to tell our children and some adults to eat their greens, why not use a little religion to encourage them to take up healthy eating habits?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Jewish liturgical calendar is full of different 'first fruits' celebrations--after all, different crops come in at different times of the year. So the almond harvest comes at a different time from the harvest of wheat--which is Pentecost. This all makes perfect sense to me, as does the transferring of the Asparagus Service from Badsey or Bretforton in the Vale of Evesham to Worcester Cathedral. Nor am I distressed by Gus the Asparagus Man: those of us who have seen the Cathedral's 'Oranges and Lemons' vestments are ready for anything. Will other Worcestershire crops want to get in on that action? That's the real question I think. If they do, the obvious next candidate for a Cathedral service is the Pershore Plum, which has its own festival in July. And if we have a Service of the Blessing of the Plums in Worcester Cathedral, I can see Outraged of Tunbridge Wells really blowing a gasket.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
american piskie
Shipmate
# 593

- Posted      Profile for american piskie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:

[del]
and the guy dressed as St George just seems a bit... odd.

Surely there's always a St/King George in these recovered/invented fertility rites? The Morris Men here always have one when they put on their Christmas Play. And dressed just like the one in the Worcester picture, too. I think the D & Chapter did well to resist the inclusion of Beelzebub.
Posts: 356 | From: Oxford, England, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bramley Apple is so important to Southwell, that the cathedral has a stained glass window dedicated to it. There has been at least one specially commissioned anthem to celebrate the festival.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I don't suppose there's an image anywhere of these Oranges and Lemons vestments. Inquiring Altar Guild minds want to know.

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember when the Muppet puppeteer Jim Hanson died that Big Bird was a part of his service. I do not remember anyone saying that it was not appropriate that he was there in full yellow glory.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh that was entirely appropriate. Your children should show up for your funeral, don't you agree? (Corollary: Do not go to Stephen King's funeral.)

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I remember when the Muppet puppeteer Jim Hanson died that Big Bird was a part of his service. I do not remember anyone saying that it was not appropriate that he was there in full yellow glory.

I was just remembering that the other day -- watching it on television had brought me to tears. It was entirely appropriate.
[Waterworks]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh that was entirely appropriate. Your children should show up for your funeral, don't you agree? (Corollary: Do not go to Stephen King's funeral.)

[Snigger]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

I saw a hilarious US cartoon once where the Muppets were sat around the table for Thanksgiving.

There was what appeared to be a rather large turkey on the table in front of them ...

Ha ha ha ...

Appealed to my sick sense of humour.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I think the Torygraph retains a few 'Anglicans' of the Disgusted-of-Tunbridge-Wells variety on its payroll, so that they can be trotted out if there's nothing else worth complaining about.

IJ

It's annoying po-faced miserable feckers? Then I'm for it.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I saw a hilarious US cartoon once where the Muppets were sat around the table for Thanksgiving.

There was what appeared to be a rather large turkey on the table in front of them ...

Ha ha ha ...

A long literary tradition. In The Wind in the Willows Ratty and Mole have no difficulty eating cold beef, cold pork and essentially a traditional Edwardian meal. Even in Narnia, everyone happily eats meat which we must assume comes from non-Talking animals.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

Ha ha ha ...

A long literary tradition. In The Wind in the Willows Ratty and Mole have no difficulty eating cold beef, cold pork and essentially a traditional Edwardian meal. Even in Narnia, everyone happily eats meat which we must assume comes from non-Talking animals.
I believe the "turkey" in that cartoon was actually Big Bird.
[Frown]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016