homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Thy Kingdom Come

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Thy Kingdom Come
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the title of a prayer initiative spanning the 11 days from Ascension Day to Pentecost (25th May to 4th June). Here is the website:

https://www.thykingdomcome.global/

From starting as a purely C of E affair, it seems to be morphing into a global event for many different churches.

Have you heard of it?

If so, what is Your Place doing about it?

Our Place (backstreet A-C parish with a small congregation) has simply earmarked two of our regular services as 'Thy Kingdom Come' events, one of which is this coming Saturday. After a short service of Communion from the Reserved Sacrament (our new priest doesn't arrive until Trinity Sunday), the church will be open until 12 noon. I aim to lead two short periods of prayer at around 11am, and at noon (when the Regina Coeli will be said).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jante
Shipmate
# 9163

- Posted      Profile for Jante   Email Jante   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our Deanery is holding an event on the day before Pentecost with kite making and flying, prayer-o-planes, labyrinth, Bishop coming to lead a service and a picnic. In my own churches I will make Thy Kingdom Come the focus of morning prayer each day.

--------------------
My blog http://vicarfactorycalling.blogspot.com/

Posts: 535 | From: deepest derbyshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all churchy - about converting people into churchgoing - so my parish is subverting it into a novena of prayer for the reign of God in secular - schools, banks, shops etc. I wrote the text of our booklet and explained it to the congregation this morning.

That the archbishops confuse God's kingdom with the church shows great ignorance.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
It's all churchy - about converting people into churchgoing - so my parish is subverting it into a novena of prayer for the reign of God in secular - schools, banks, shops etc. I wrote the text of our booklet and explained it to the congregation this morning.

That the archbishops confuse God's kingdom with the church shows great ignorance.

This fundamental misunderstanding has reached epidemic proportions. It's seriously affecting my ability to care about the church, because it seems to me like a preoccupation with its own egotistical survival, rather than with pouring God's love into God's creation.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh for the days of prophets like Ken Leech! Fortunately our bishop is a fan of his and arranged an excellent conference yesterday.I hope the message filters through to the Reform and Renewal types.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just suggested closing prayers for a vigil for this. My brief was to do it Iona style. I was clear when I took on suggesting this it would involve material from their Justice and Peace services simply because that is when they talk about the Kingdom

Go figure.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Amen. And I know which one needs to crumble.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Paranoid]

Yes, well - I guess TKC is rather churchy, but then all churches need prayer....OTOH, I take the point about praying for justice and peace, and will be doing just that.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:

This fundamental misunderstanding has reached epidemic proportions. It's seriously affecting my ability to care about the church, because it seems to me like a preoccupation with its own egotistical survival, rather than with pouring God's love into God's creation.
The Church is a SACRAMENT of this pouring but, surely, God works through all people, not just churchgoers.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
quote:

The Church is a SACRAMENT of this pouring but, surely, God works through all people, not just churchgoers.
Indeed: my point was more the outward motion from church to world, rather than claiming ecclesiastical copyright on the activity itself.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by leo
quote:
I don't know the details of this initiative; our (Baptist) church will be celebrating or whatever by doing a 'prayer walk' around the neighbourhood in association with a local Anglican church, starting at our place and ending at theirs. I have reservations about the prayer walk concept but I can also see the use of actually seeing the places we pray about, to make things more concrete.

As for what the 'Kingdom' means, I think there are two slightly different ideas here, both biblical but not to be confused.

There is a very real sense in which God's Kingdom includes everybody and everything - even if a large number among 'everybody' don't acknowledge God as king and don't act as if they were his subjects, and partly because of that, a lot of 'everything' doesn't show much sign of being ruled by God....

But there is also another sense, which is clearly implied by the prayer "Thy Kingdom Come", and is also implied by the passage in John 18 about Jesus' kingdom being 'not of this world' and consisting of "Everyone who loves the truth (and) listens to my (Jesus') voice".

In that sense we're viewing God's kingdom as the people among whom God is acknowledged as King, and who are working both to bring everyone else to similar "loving the truth and listening to Jesus' voice" and so to conscious acknowledgement of God as their personal Lord/King. On the foundation of which they will seek to bring 'everything' to look more and more as if the things were ruled by God too.

Ideally in this sense Church and Kingdom are indeed coterminous. Sadly it ain't always so.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I've always seen it is that the Kingdom includes the Church but is bigger than the Church ...

Thank goodness ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Totally agree with this. That is why I reckon I’m a catholic not a protestant. The kingdom is present sacramentally whether people are conscious of taking part in it or not.

The church as sacrament, the Bride of Christ, the body moved by the Spirit, is vital and can't withher. It is not the same as getting bums on seats or the establishment of the C of E.

[code]

[ 23. May 2017, 15:38: Message edited by: John Holding ]

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of things strike me as being a bit odd about this. First the unnecessary use of traditional language - clearly harping back to prayerbook language that few actually use today.

Second, the use of the doxology - which presumably is tied to the common form of the Lord's prayer but which isn't part of the gospel forms of the prayer.

It seems like a very Anglican mix of fairly slick PR and semi-conscious sectarianism. Some of the materials are just weird - what is "extreme prayer"?

--------------------
arse

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Extreme prayer'?

New one on me ... sounds like those video classifications - 'Contains mild terror', 'Contains moderate violence', 'Contains moderate sex' ...

[Roll Eyes]

As far as the presentation and so on goes, well yes, what we're seeing is modern PR techniques sitting clumsily alongside traditional doxologies and language in an attempt to bring all sections on board and not just the evangelical keenies who'd do the 24/7 prayer thing and so on anyway ...

Although as the 24/7 thread reminds us, vigils and so on aren't an exclusively evangelical thing.

But the dear old CofE is always a muddle and what we're seeing is Welby-esque marketing and PR being grafted onto something where it doesn't necessarily fit comfortably ...

'Like a silk hat on a Bradford millionaire ...'

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IME, many of those who do use the Lord's Prayer use the modified traditional version with its this, thees and thous. The exceptions tend to be those with regular involvement in liturgical churches which in the last forty years or so have adopted modern language versions of the Lord's Prayer. And 'Thy kingdom come' is not from the doxology - it is from near the beginning of the prayer.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
And 'Thy kingdom come' is not from the doxology - it is from near the beginning of the prayer.

Pretty sure it isn't. Doesn't appear in Matthew 6 or Luke 11.

An authority as high as the Vatican no less calls it a doxology.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

Oof, sorry. I'm an idiot.

--------------------
arse

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

I got so carried away with thinking that the doxology wasn't in the gospels that I was blinded to the idea that the phrase isn't in the doxology.

Even though I also knew it wasn't. Durr.

--------------------
arse

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PEBKAC [Big Grin]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw something in our pew sheet about this - it fits in rather well with something which has been done in our town for several years now. One of the non-denominational chapels will (again) be hosting it, with a space open to all every day. At the end there will be a party in the park.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This was in the parish newsletter last Sunday:

"The Archbishops of Canterbury and York have asked Christians to use the time between Ascension Day and Pentecost to pray for the coming of the Kingdom and the mission of the Church in this country. (Thinks: Motherhood and apple pie. Or do they mean the Rapture?) We will take part in this initiative keeping half an hour of silent adoration and prayer before the Blessed Sacrament each weekday at midday.”

I got the last ten minutes when I attend the 12.30 mass yesterday for Ascension Day. About 20 people being totally still and silent. It was wonderful.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We did it at an Ecumenical meeting last night. I nearly fell asleep [Hot and Hormonal] .
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O dear. Meetings can go on a bit, no?

[Snore]

I like the sound of what venbede's church is doing (if silence can be heard....).

IJ

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sleeping in front of the Blessed Sacrament is a very positive thing. We know we are secure in the presence of God.

A priest I know furnished a chapel with comfortable armchairs instead of sit-up-and-beg church ones. It became known as the Blessed Sacrament Lounge. Rather like the Woodland Chapel at St Beuno's (North Wales) for those who know it.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Sleeping in front of the Blessed Sacrament is a very positive thing. We know we are secure in the presence of God.

A priest I know furnished a chapel with comfortable armchairs instead of sit-up-and-beg church ones. It became known as the Blessed Sacrament Lounge. Rather like the Woodland Chapel at St Beuno's (North Wales) for those who know it.

Given the vast amount of time I've spent fighting sleep in said Woodland Chapel, your post has cheered me up no end, Angloid. Thanks!
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I like the sound of what venbede's church is doing (if silence can be heard....).

Well, according to Simon and Garfunkle, it can. [Biased]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Bless my soul, that takes me back.....to 1964, in fact, and the Days Of My Yoof...

[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, Our Place was full of silence this morning, owing to the lack of people....

We had our regular Saturday service (Holy Communion from the Reserved Sacrament at the moment), during which I duly prayed the Thy Kingdom Come prayer, along with intercessions for peace and justice across the world. After the service, though, the Usual Suspects departed, and I was alone in the church (well, not counting the heavenly host etc.) until closing time at midday.

IJ

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you count the heavenly host and the MBS is reserved in both kinds, does that count as one or two ? These things can be important for attendance records.....!

We're having a 24 hour Prayerathon ( my words not the official ones!!) from 11.00 this morning when they had a short service to start. It was interrupted at 12.30 by the Saturday Eucharist, where they usually get numbers around 12-16 if all the Usual Suspects turned up. I went in at around 3.30pm for about 40 minutes with two other people. It's my understanding that the Copts are helping out in the more unusual hours - I didn't even know we had a Coptic church here but there you are. It finishes at 11.00 tomorrow with the Choral Eucharist......

A tent is to be found in one of the chapels. I've often made cracks about setting up a tent in the church over Easter but this is the first time someone has actually done it Gives a new meaning to 'camp' does it not

I don't think this is a bad idea. I think one of our weaknesses is over prayer - and we can't really encourage people outside the church to do it if we don't do it ourselves.......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

The MBS is only reserved in one kind, but I'm never quite sure how many are in the heavenly host. Probably too many noughts to fit in the Service Register, anyhow!

Notwithstanding the lack of support at Our Place, prayer was indeed offered, and there's a prayer meeting or service of some sort at 730pm in various local churches - one per day for the whole TKC period - as well as other events.

IJ

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers every day from 12-2.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got a "prayer installation" here in our Cathedral for Thy Kingdom Come. People can do various different interactive stuff as well as silent prayer. It appears to be being staffed by volunteers from a number of local churches of different types so it would be fascinating to be a fly on the wall for some of the conversations taking place....

I hope to explore it more fully tomorrow

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016