homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Unusual request for a Mystery Worship (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Unusual request for a Mystery Worship
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Wuntoo:
... And certainly not for those who shout with a heavy accent.

Irrespective of accent, can you recall any preacher who shouted who had anything to say that you and everyone else present would have been anything other than better off if they had not had to hear it?
Difficult to say, innit? Even though I was kept awake I didn't understand what was said or the sound volume was too high to hear.
So I'll pass on that one.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
verity
Apprentice
# 18571

- Posted      Profile for verity   Email verity   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A lady in my last church gets nasty feedback from a loop and so doesn't use it. It's definitely the hearing aid with her, but it works for her much better tgan the more modern hearing aid she tried out.
But then, that highlights for us that we shouldn't be saying "well, it works for others+ so tough".
Even if we don'thave an answer, we must always seek one

Posts: 21 | From: Kent | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had problems in my last church hall with long-life light bulbs (admittedly rather old ones) interfering with the loop system - producing a constant buzz or whine for users.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't mean to be facetious, but there's something to be said for candles after all.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by verity:
A lady in my last church gets nasty feedback from a loop and so doesn't use it. It's definitely the hearing aid with her, but it works for her much better tgan the more modern hearing aid she tried out.
But then, that highlights for us that we shouldn't be saying "well, it works for others+ so tough".
Even if we don't have an answer, we must always seek one

It works for some but obviously the result for others is not simply that it does not work, but has a strong negative effect. How do we reconcile these competing needs?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The light system interfering with the sound loop comes from someone bodging the sound loop. To make a sound loop work properly it should use proper (expensive) cables that are insulated against other inputs and they shouldn't be run through with the lighting cables.

(Says someone who suffered the consequences of a similar buzz on a sound system where the bodgers had run a spur into a chapel, failed to use insulated wires and used the nice convenient route followed by the lighting cables. The perpetrators were all too old and deaf to hear the resultant mosquito whine. I was told I was fussy and difficult moaning about it. I now have tinnitus at that pitch and no longer attend that church because I'm not prepared to damage my hearing any further.)

PS The nice young curate came to find me and ask about the nasty whine because he has also been complaining about it, and had been told I had been talking about it for ages.

[ 06. June 2017, 06:00: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for that ... when the buzz was reported to me I did a little bit of on-line research, and the British Deaf Association said that it is quite a common problem.

Another bugbear is PA systems which put out a high-pitched whistle which is above many people's auditory range, so if you say anything they reply that they know nothing about it.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been reflecting a bit on the original question. I hope that it is agreed to have a question for Mystery Worshippers. But ISTM that facilities for people with disabilities won't always be immediately spottable for MW'ers who are mobile, for example. One church that I have become aware of recently advertises tea and coffee after the service upstairs. If there is a lift it may well be tucked away at the back out of sight. (I'll try to find out [Biased] ) A loop system may not be advertised (though, of course, it should be). An adapted toilet maybe round a corner when an old building has been up-dated.
One can always ask about these things but it would raise suspicions and may out the MW'er. But no reason not to have a question.
Just some thoughts.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Good thinking. But shouldn't part of the MW evaluation be about whether a church makes these facilities known - eg on the notice-sheet, or with signs at the place where they give out hymnbooks, or by discreet words from the sidespeople?

One particular gripe of my wife is those churches that project everything onto screens (and I don't want to start a discussion here on the merits of screens vs. books per se). Her concern is for people who have difficulty reading screens because of poor distance vision - are (?large-print) sheets of the words available and offered at the door? In my experience that's rare.

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Good thinking. But shouldn't part of the MW evaluation be about whether a church makes these facilities known - eg on the notice-sheet, or with signs at the place where they give out hymnbooks, or by discreet words from the sidespeople?

That's why I worded my suggested form of the question the way I did: "What indications did you see that the church seeks to make the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
"What indications did you see that the church seeks to make the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

That's a little wordy, though. Perhaps simply: "Are the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

At any rate, Simon seems to have been abducted by gypsies again. Once they let him go, he and I can discuss the precise wording.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No Nick's maybe wordy but it is possible to assess, the second is impossible to assess unless you have someone with every disability present. Believe me making provision is not the same as being accessible unless you have tested it with a person present. For instance, having braille hymnbooks seems to make the worship more accessible to people who are blind. However, unless you also provide a seat with a table in front the blind person cannot use them.

I also think I have come across conflicting needs with different disabilities. For instance, putting the music system through the speakers may well be something that includes some deaf people, it can also be something that excludes people* whose m.e. is sensitive to loud sound.

Jengie

*based on a real case.

[ 06. June 2017, 13:07: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
"What indications did you see that the church seeks to make the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

That's a little wordy, though. Perhaps simply: "Are the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"
It may be a little wordy. I can tend in that direction.

But it's a different question from "Are the building and services accessible to all worshippers?" The latter asks simply whether there is accessibility. As others have noted, a MWer—particularly one who doesn't need anything for accessibility—may not pick up on accessibility issues.

Part of what I was trying to get at is whether the church communicates ways in which the building or services are accessible. Some things (such as ramps and room for wheelchairs) may be easily seen, while others may be more "hidden." For example, there may be large-print hymnals or bulletins available, or there may be a loop system, but as a visitor was the MWer made aware of them? Part of accessibility is having things in place; the other part is communicating, especially to visitors, that they're there. In my experience, many churches are good at the first part but not at the second part.

So what I was trying to get at is whether it appeared to the MWer that this is a church that communicates to visitors the ways in which it tries to make things accessible, which in turn says something about the church's attitude to accessibility as an aspect of hospitality.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Given how good voice recognition programmes seem to be these days, is it at all possible to link via one of those from the speaker to any screen in the church?

Have you ever tried the closed captions on an internet video? They are usually very bad.

As far as steps are concerned, I can manage just fine if there is a handrail. Without a handrail, I am at risk of falling.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Have you ever tried the closed captions on an internet video? They are usually very bad.

There's a difference between closed captions prepared beforehand for a film or canned presentation of a re-run TV show, and closed captions generated on the fly for a live broadcast such as news.

I find the latter jerky and spasmodic and very prone to error. I would not be surprised, for example, to see the word "justification" spoken in a sermon to be closed-captioned as "just tiff vacation."

BTW -- Pre-prepared closed captions for downloaded films are sometimes contained in an .RTF file in the same folder as the film, and can be edited to your heart's content if they don't please you.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The internet ones are usually automated and thus crap. You can really tell the difference when prepared captions have been supplied.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
FWIW I like Nick Tamen's wording. I might be able to answer the question "What indications did you see that the church seeks to make the building and services accessible to all worshippers?" I would never be able to answer "Are the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

I think indicators of accessibility could be conveyed. But as an able-bodied person, I would not be able to declare that 'the building and services were accessible to all worshippers.' I would have neither the experience nor the expertise to make that assessment. But I do think that anyone capable of serving as a Mystery Worshipper - with whatever other abilities they may have - could and should note their observations about accessibility as part of the report.

It might help to attach a huge YMMV notice.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a difference between closed captions prepared beforehand for a film or canned presentation of a re-run TV show, and closed captions generated on the fly for a live broadcast such as news.

I find the latter jerky and spasmodic and very prone to error. I would not be surprised, for example, to see the word "justification" spoken in a sermon to be closed-captioned as "just tiff vacation."

Or "euthanasia" captioned as "youth in Asia" (I've actually heard of that one happening).

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
FWIW I like Nick Tamen's wording. I might be able to answer the question "What indications did you see that the church seeks to make the building and services accessible to all worshippers?" I would never be able to answer "Are the building and services accessible to all worshippers?"

Agreed. If churches do have ramps, hearing devices, large-print bulletins, accessible toilets, or whatever, they are of no use to those who need them if they're a deep dark secret. A newcomer or visitor (or a Mystery Worshipper) should be able to see some indications of their availability.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
I would not be surprised, for example, to see the word "justification" spoken in a sermon to be closed-captioned as "just tiff vacation."

Or "euthanasia" captioned as "youth in Asia".
Oh, the Freudian slip possibilities boggle the mind! Do I feel a Circus thread coming on? (Or did Sir Gus read "Go, Me Gone"?)

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Given how good voice recognition programmes seem to be these days, is it at all possible to link via one of those from the speaker to any screen in the church?

Moo

No I haven't and to be honest I don't know what you're talking of. Perhaps it is that my voice recognition is now very used to me that means that I do not have problems. With regular clergy prepared to put in a bit of time training the system, similar results could be achieved.

I'm in favour of asking "what indications did you see etc". The OP suggests that the enquirer has a particular individual requirement, so individual that mention of it will lead to identification. If I were going into a church I may not know of the disability or what is needed to assist this person. I'd probably not be alone. So I'd see ramps, large print books and sheets, and perhaps mention of a hearing loop. I'd not be looking for what would support Miss Amanda's correspondent. So I could well honestly but inaccurately say that the church was accessible etc. OTOH, if I saw ramps, hearing loops, large print etc I could answer this version.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No I haven't and to be honest I don't know what you're talking of. Perhaps it is that my voice recognition is now very used to me that means that I do not have problems. With regular clergy prepared to put in a bit of time training the system, similar results could be achieved.

Here's your problem right here. Very few people, clergy included, are willing to put in any time at all to learn and train a voice recognition program unless it has a direct major benefit to themselves and they are convinced of that fact. Ask them to put in all that effort for the sake of people who may or may not end up using the material, well...

Because of course those who need it are probably not attending services regularly. So the leaders think it is not needed and won't put the time in. It becomes a vicious circle.

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

Mine took about 3 hours most at training and has served well since. I'm sure that clergy could find that sort of time with a little bit of effort. My system even remembers unusual names last used many years ago.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

You must have a good system. The times I've tried to train one I've had to give up before getting closer than a rate of two errors per line. To be sure, that was some time ago; but I've hesitated to drop more money on a system after being taken several times.

ETA: I wonder if they hate sopranos?

[ 08. June 2017, 04:35: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
I wonder if they hate sopranos?

Hate is such a strong word. Exasperated by sopranos, maybe.
[Devil]

Channeling Anna Russell: Why do sopranos have such beautiful voices? Because they have resonance where their brains ought to be.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Exasperated by sopranos, maybe.

Who isn't?

[Miss Amanda raises shield against hurled daggers as she runs to get her wrap.]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Damn. Walked into that one!

--------------------

verity
Apprentice
# 18571

- Posted      Profile for verity   Email verity   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer the question "what indication" to "what do they do" for precisely the reason that a MWer can watch out.

My notes in my first MW report were put in the "other place" section about accessibility because they were negative, even though I put them in the "other notes" section in my report (because of this thread)
I had aimed for a succinct criticism of Graham Kendrick [Biased]

(Thank you for the edits on my report - it's very useful in guiding what to include in future reports)

verity
Apprentice
# 18571

I did want to make a minor comment on wording - I've been edited to "sounded like NIV", when i'd written "looked like NIV" because I was referring to the actual book that I could see but not reach, rather than what I recognised from hearing.

Obviously I'm happy for the edit to stand, as I'm sure readers would interpret the comment how you did.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I did want to make a minor comment on wording - I've been edited to "sounded like NIV", when i'd written "looked like NIV" because I was referring to the actual book that I could see but not reach, rather than what I recognised from hearing.

But how could you tell it was NIV from its appearance -- unless New International Version appeared on the binding? Your eyesight is probably better than mine -- I would have to pick it up and inspect it at close range to see that. I'm happy to revert your wording to the original, though.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
You must have a good system. The times I've tried to train one I've had to give up before getting closer than a rate of two errors per line. To be sure, that was some time ago; but I've hesitated to drop more money on a system after being taken several times.

They may well - mellifluous tenors more their scene?

I have what was then called the Professional version of a well-known system and then put in that Sunday afternoon to train it. Others on the floor use the same and are also happy with it. Most judges I know use it or a similar version as it lets them get down the outline of a judgement very quickly after a hearing, and later spend the time to refine it and put in the extra research needed.

I can't see the problems people refer to. We have visiting preachers a few times a year, but otherwise it's just the rector or assistant. If they each spend a short time, it will be up and running quickly. OK, punctuation will be scrappy and there will be the occasional mistaken word, but if it helps some to a better understanding of what's being said, so much the better.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

I suspect i had what you have. I wanted it because i'm a writer andd I could probablh triple my outpug, but the error rate sgayed so friggin high that fixing it ate up all my timhe.

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

quote:
I suspect i had what you have. I wanted it because i'm a writer andd I could probablh triple my outpug, but the error rate sgayed so friggin high that fixing it ate up all my timhe.

Understood, but I've not had that sort of problem. I think you're probably right about the soprano voice.

--------------------

verity
Apprentice
# 18571

quote:
quote:

But how could you tell it was NIV from its appearance -- unless New International Version appeared on the binding? Your eyesight is probably better than mine -- I would have to pick it up and inspect it at close range to see that. I'm happy to revert your wording to the original, though.
Because I spend a lot of time in churches, and with books - it's my trade [Biased]
It definitely looked like a NIV binding

verity
Apprentice
# 18571

you don't need to revert the wording - I'm sure most readers will assume I meant that I thought I was listening to the NIV. [Smile]
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC - I just love the idea of tripling one's 'outpug'! The thought of outpugging everyone else...
[Overused]

verity - well done. IMHO, it was an excellent MW Report. More, please, if and when you have the time.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Believe it or not, that ebtry was the unintended redult of typing on this drattedc tablet i'll stop now,

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tinhk herpaps yu shood...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Just dun't use it to submik a Mysery Warship reaper.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

That just sounds like Norfolk dialect!
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thas ryte, that is!

Dew yew keep atroshin, bor...

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Meanwhile, while we're waiting for the gypsies to release Simon, I will write to all current MWers encouraging them to include observations re accessibility in the Comments section of the report form.

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:

I think indicators of accessibility could be conveyed. But as an able-bodied person, I would not be able to declare that 'the building and services were accessible to all worshippers.' I would have neither the experience nor the expertise to make that assessment. But I do think that anyone capable of serving as a Mystery Worshipper - with whatever other abilities they may have - could and should note their observations about accessibility as part of the report.

It might help to attach a huge YMMV notice.

As an occasional [able-bodied] Mystery Worshipper , I agree that one can only report on what one perceives and that accessibility is an issue worth reporting on. . Perhaps a short question could be something like "any obvious accessibility issues?", with Nick Tamen's clear longer text as "explanatory text" (which is a guide to the Mystery Worshipper, but does not appear in the published report).

And in the meantime I'm quite willing to put in a comment on such issues under another heading (e..g "heavenly?" or "hellish?"), though I admit to not having thought about such issues in writing my earlier reports.

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
verity
Apprentice
# 18571

I put my accessibility comments in "other observations" which was then put into a relevant section.

Oh, Amanda, having looked at my photos again, I appear to have got the material of the building wring - looks like it's stone blocks, not kentish ragstone. I feel very contrite, but would you be willing to change that bit please?
Masonry isn't my strong point.
(All mediaeval Kent churches should be kentish ragstone)

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

Pending a decision by Simon, I have written to all MWers of the past three years suggesting that they put observations re accessibility either in the heavenly bits section (if positive), or the "other place" section (if negative), or the comments section, from which the editor would move them as may be appropriate.

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
verity:
quote:
My suggestion here would be to use the recording to make a transcription of the sermon and put them both on the website - side by side.
That's a great idea, but unless the preacher writes out his/her sermon in full every time it would be a lot of work for somebody... how many congregations include a skilled audio typist? (I have had experience of trying to produce transcripts of audio recordings; it's not a trivial task).
Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
I have had experience of trying to produce transcripts of audio recordings; it's not a trivial task.

Indeed not. I've done it too. It might be amusing to see what voice recognition software might come up with, though.

But to update: The consensus is that more thought must be given to modifying the Mystery Worship questionnaire. We don't want it to look like we're conducting an official inspection of the church's compliance with disability requirements.

Meanwhile, some Mystery Worshippers have been commenting on such things as accessibility, availability of assistive listening devices, readability of the font used on projections, clarity of the PA system, etc.

Not exactly the same thing as how readily persons with disabilities seem to be accepted and assimilated into the congregation, but we do what we can do.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

What is quite possibly true is that all the development of said software is done on male white educated clear speaking such as its developers. Those whose voice is different for any reason have to train for longer. This gives you some clue to just how difficult adapting to a disability is.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016