homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » MW 3197: St Alfege, Greenwich, London (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: MW 3197: St Alfege, Greenwich, London
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Miles Lane tends to be the usual tune in the CofE, but personally, I prefer Diadem. Having checked hymnary.org, I've never heard Coronation, either for All hail the power of Jesus' name or for anything else. I suspect it's unknown here.

For those who don't know it, this is Coronation. FWIW, it is said to be the oldest American hymn tune (tune composed for a hymn text) in continuous use in the US.

quote:
Perhaps I'm wrong in this. Could a USian shipmate confirm or deny? But I've got the impression that in the US the way books set out hymn tunes is different from the way we do it. We set them out as in Baptist Trainfan's link, with the tune all together on two staves and the words set out as verses. I think you may lay them out as four staves, and the words for each part printed between the staves.
Yes. To confirm what others have said, a typical American hymnal page looks like this.

Meanwhile, I never knew there was any tune for "Rock of Ages" other than Toplady. That text and that tune are firmly associated here.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2442 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
That's assuming you used the Vaughan Williams/Martin Shaw "Songs of Praise" book, of course. (In tasteful blue embossed covers).

We did!
You are therefore one of The Elect.

(Here's a subject for a learned essay: "School Hymnbooks as Markers of Social Class").

Kentish grammar school with a fairly high opinion of itself. (Actually a very good school, and based on a foundation that went back to the C13, but not really posh, whatever successive Heads may have thought.)

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6423 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing like as pretentious as The Public School Hymnbook.

Changing the subject, Baptist Trainfan, I've never encountered Deep Harmony.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7233 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was an alternate tune in the older Baptist Hymn Book. More to the point, I believe it's used in the US. But I'm not sure.
Posts: 9216 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Nothing like as pretentious as The Public School Hymnbook.

Which was used at my school, a distinctly second-rate grammar with an over-inflated idea of itself. That book still makes me shudder, and I became a Christian in spite of, not because of it (though it inevitably contains some good hymns, and a liturgically-aware Head of Music ensured that we got the best of them.)
Posts: 12891 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016