homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » 3182: Holy Trinity Broadstairs

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: 3182: Holy Trinity Broadstairs
verity
Apprentice
# 18571

- Posted      Profile for verity   Email verity   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We went back to HT Broadstairs this week.
I'm pleased to say that they seem to have implemented remedies to a couple of my criticisms.
Firstly, the abandoned table has become a welcoming table with a person stationed at it throughout the service (inside the main doors so they aren't stuck in the porch the whole service)
And secondly (which probably should be firstly), their website now clearly states that the council carpark is expensive and that free on-street parking is available nearby!
Yippee! Mystery Worshipper works!
I feel like I have so much power [Big Grin]
I won't let it go to my head though.
I just wanted to point it out to say that I was imoressed that they really do mean it when they say they want to be inclusive.

Posts: 21 | From: Kent | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A link to the report is here...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very cheering, verity - sounds like a wonderful church family!
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, thanks for the update, verity. It's good to hear of a lively and welcoming Anglo-Catholic church, given the widespread belief that a sad state of inevitable decline is the norm for the C of E...

A congregation of well over 100 is not too bad, given the size of the parish (population about 6200). The parish is about average in terms of urban deprivation - not too badly off, but not particularly affluent, either.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
verity
Apprentice
# 18571

- Posted      Profile for verity   Email verity   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And it wasn't all seasonal either - there didn't seem to be a lot of visitors. And even though it was the summer holiday, there were families with young children.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that churches need to offer more than just the Sunday service to thrive - that extra "community" is what makes a church.

Posts: 21 | From: Kent | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was in Broadstairs last year and got to the Church, but alas for me, it was locked. Thus, I appreciate reading this report which makes good reading.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016