homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » mw 3209: Wells Cathedral

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: mw 3209: Wells Cathedral
verity
Apprentice
# 18571

- Posted      Profile for verity   Email verity   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw an article today that the church to which the visiting Choir belonged to is changing its name (removing the RE Lee moniker).

I don't know whether it's relevant, as it was a visiting choir and not really to do with the cathedral, but I thought it was at least worth mentioning here.

[Edited to fix URL code]

[ 21. September 2017, 12:23: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

Posts: 21 | From: Kent | Registered: Mar 2016  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the article:

quote:
The vote came after a two-year debate on whether a Christian church should carry a name that honoured a man who fought a war to preserve the institution of slavery.
So it took them two years to decide that!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which report? Mine was MW 1588 and the visiting choir was from Bowden Parish Church, Cheshire

[ 22. September 2017, 17:41: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure this one is meant.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd that. I know Wells well (pun intended), and I've never thought of it as being particularly small!

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite. And a congregation of 80 for Evensong - not counting the choir itself - seems fairly large. Perhaps the choir brought a host of sisters, cousins, and aunts with them?

[Biased]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Perhaps the choir brought a host of sisters, cousins, and aunts with them?

[Biased]

IJ

Was The Rt. Hon. Sir Joseph Porter in the Choir?
[Biased]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The choir, I expect, was indeed numbered in dozens!

(Well done for spotting the G & S reference. For the Unenlightened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow2jWKhVErg).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They could have also been "Rabbit's Friends-and-Relations".
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well done for spotting the G & S reference.
IJ

I just saw an excellent production a month ago -- as well as a different, also excellent, production a year ago. G&S songs do tend to stick in one's head.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Quite. And a congregation of 80 for Evensong - not counting the choir itself - seems fairly large. Perhaps the choir brought a host of sisters, cousins, and aunts with them?

[Biased]

IJ

Not that large - the one I reported on had that many if not more.

I used often to go to York Minster - you could get 100 there in the summer - regulars and visitors.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Not that large - the one I reported on had that many if not more.

I used often to go to York Minster - you could get 100 there in the summer - regulars and visitors.

But pretty large compared with the choral evensong I was privileged to attend in June 2015 at Edinburgh (pisky) Cathedral where I was one of four in the congregation.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, an 'ordinary' weekday Evensong at our local Cathedral might have a congregation of less than double figures, though, as has often been pointed out, the choir is also part of the congregation.

And some Cathedrals have more visitors than others, for various reasons. The other Cathedral in this county (which possesses two Dioceses) gets rather more than ours...

IJ

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, our local cathedral is hardly on the tourist trail! And even the "other" one doesn't have the kudos of (say) St. David's (which I love).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed. There are some which are 'working' Cathedrals, with few tourists, and others which are, of course 'working', but trying (with varying degrees of success) to accommodate hordes of visitors.

Our Cathedral is, perhaps, one of the former, being somewhat overshadowed by the slightly older establishment just down the road. At least ours doesn't charge for admission (yet)...

IJ

--------------------

Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are lucky, BF - mine does charge. Though to be fair I don't think any of them charge if you want to attend a service or go in to pray.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, I believe that is so, though it must sometimes be hard to fight one's way through the crowds if one simply wants a quiet place to pray.

We've often had discussions on these boards about the conflicting demands made on the more popular Cathedrals.

IJ

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016