homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » Llamas at Epiphany

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Llamas at Epiphany
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A church near me has a procession with real-live lamas to mark Epiphany.

Does this happen anywhere else?

What' the point of it?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My hunch is that it’s the closest they could get to camels. Camel understudies, as it were.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peruvian nativity sets have llamas.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
My hunch is that it’s the closest they could get to camels. Camel understudies, as it were.

Perhaps the humps will grow later?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any folk memory of a small deputation of them making a reverse crossing of the Bering Strait East to West, sometime around 2,017 years ago?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apparently they are of the same subfamily as camels? You can see it in their respective faces.

Granted, I am actually on the correct landmass, but I know that people actually raise llamas and alpacas in these parts. Camels? Not so much. I would bet it is much easier to find a llama for hire than a camel for hire.

Plus, who doesn't like a llama? I always spend a little extra time checking them out at the zoo myself...

[ 28. December 2017, 18:23: Message edited by: Og, King of Bashan ]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Perhaps the humps will grow later?
One can always hope.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They (llamas, alpacas etc.) do seem to be rather more engaging animals than camels, and, yes, they are not unknown in Ukland - there are some on a farm not very far from me.

BTW, I received an Oxfam Christmas card which loudly proclaims on the front 'Fa La La La La La La Llama', and depicts a cartoon version of one of these attractive beasties dutifully bearing gifts...

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had Superman visiting the baby Jesus at the Christmas Eve Crib Mass once, so hey, whatever

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never actually met a llama, but I'm told that they are gentle, polite, and rather aloof people, as far as Uman Beans are concerned.

I should think they would make rather pleasant neighbours.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
I've never actually met a llama, but I'm told that they are gentle, polite, and rather aloof people, as far as Uman Beans are concerned.

IJ

I'm told that they spit but I refuse to believe it.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, no - that's camels. Llamas are much more civilised.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

O, all right - they do occasionally spit, but very often it's to show that they like you, and are accepting you as part of their family.

[Roll Eyes]

Camels, OTOH, are just awkward, cross-grained bu**ers.....

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:

IJ

At this risk of this getting more heavenly than it already is, I do have vivid memories from a rather scary memory from a childhood hike when we encountered a woman walking her llama on a trail. The llama took one look at our border collie and took off into the woods. The problem was that the woman walking the llama was apparently not particularly familiar with how you handle livestock (at least according to my father, who grew up in Texas ranch country,) and had the llama's leash tied around her waist, meaning that when the llama took off, she was dragged behind it, probably about 20 or 30 yards, over more than a few downed trees. She managed to escape with just a few scrapes, but it was a pretty terrifying scene for a kid to witness, and she was naturally pretty shaken up. So while they do seem to be rather docile (the ones at our zoo are separated from guests by little more than a chain link fence), standard safety precautions are still advisable.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, yes - they are, after all, a fair size, at up to 5'9" tall, and 300-400 lbs in weight.

The old TV show advice still stands - never work with children and animals!

[Big Grin]

IJ

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A one l lama, he's a priest
A two ll llama, it's a beast
But I will bet
A silk pyjama
There's no such thing as a three lll lllama.

But Thurber added the postscript that there were three-alarmer fires. Even he'd be pushing it to find any connection between llamas and any biblical reference, let alone the Nativity.

[ 28. December 2017, 21:52: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ogden Nash, not Thurber.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Ogden Nash, not Thurber.

Thanks. I'm in holiday mode and my mind must be too switched off.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've had Moose in our nativity scenes at home, so why not? May not have been in Middle East at the time, but had OLSJC chosen to be born on this side the Pond, no doubt there would have been llamas and moose in attendence.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had some very um, "friendly" goats one year. (And I don't mean "friendly" like in the song.)
[Big Grin]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw some llamas about half an hour ago. From a distance of 100 yards, they appeared to be docile.

(Since you're asking, it was at a local Farm Shop - and they're for petting, not for meat!)

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once heard a mother llama humming loudly to her baby on a quiet day at Bristol Zoo. It wasn't exactly tuneful but she was varying the pitch. I don't know if this is a common occurrence but it was lovely to observe.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
I once heard a mother llama humming loudly to her baby on a quiet day at Bristol Zoo. It wasn't exactly tuneful but she was varying the pitch. I don't know if this is a common occurrence but it was lovely to observe.

Many years ago the speaker at a college graduation based his whole talk on the humming of llamas, with audio recordings. I honestly don't remember if he mentioned mothers humming to their babies. (When he started out, I assumed he was talking about the chanting of lamas and was quite surprised when I realized he was talking about llamas.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

The new children's classic Llama Llama Red Pajama has the titular Llama, on one page, humming a tune. I had no idea this was based on natural fact, and simply wrote it off as a easy rhyme for "Mama says she'll be up soon". I must bore my wife with this fascinating-to-me fact tonight at story time...

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

I'd hoped to find a Youtube video of llamas humming, but there are too many to choose just one. Just go to Youtube and type in "llamas humming" if you really want to hear this.
[Smile]

--------------------
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
The new children's classic Llama Llama Red Pajama has the titular Llama, on one page, humming a tune. I had no idea this was based on natural fact, and simply wrote it off as a easy rhyme for "Mama says she'll be up soon". I must bore my wife with this fascinating-to-me fact tonight at story time...

A fun reading of Llama Llama Red Pajama. Not what you'd expect.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Linda Snell must have got involved. Look out for them at St Stephen's, Ambridge, next week.

[ 31. December 2017, 16:16: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016